Short bed with a 101" 5er - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Short bed with a 101" 5er

Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 PM
KSWilson
New User
KSWilson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Short bed with a 101" 5er

Buying a Grand Designs Solitude 344 and an F-350 SRW. Can I get some thoughts on a short bed with a slider vs a long bed, given the 101" wide ? I saw something on a thread that the wider trailer presented some problems with the short bed/slider combo ? Are there any long bed fans who want to talk me out of a short bed anyhow ? I am a rookie, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks !

Old 05-02-2018, 10:34 PM
Fishermanbb
Junior User
Fishermanbb is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a 102” wide 5th wheel with a short bed and a slider (auto slider). No issues at all.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:44 AM
-brent
Junior User
-brent is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have 6.8 bed and a 8.5 wide 5th toyhauler with B W slider. Ours is a SRW , however I upgraded tires and rims to get a taller and wider stance from stock. We have no problems.

Last edited by -brent; 05-03-2018 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Sig did not show
Old 05-03-2018, 01:06 PM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
My Cardinal is same width, and I run the Demco Hijacker autoslide in my CCSB SRW. Glad I am, not sure it was a requirement. Just not having to think about it is comforting enough. My next truck will be a Long Bed SRW, and I will then ditch the slider in favor of a B&W. My move to LB is mostly to get the much larger fuel tank stock. I could retrofit my 2016 with a Titan tank, but I have a hard time dropping the coin for that, knowing I will trade the truck in in 3 more years.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:13 PM
backtrack2015
Senior User
backtrack2015 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.backtrack2015 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That's a good size trailer if loaded to GVW. If you're going crew-cab diesel, I'd be real tempted to go DRW with the simple B&W hitch. The long-bed SRW will have less payload than the short-bed SRW, but you won't need a heavy slider hitch (gain some back). The added fuel capacity and a very simple (two piece) hitch would be nice benefits.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:49 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Posting Guru
Paw's 150 Lariat has a great reputation on FTE.Paw's 150 Lariat has a great reputation on FTE.Paw's 150 Lariat has a great reputation on FTE.Paw's 150 Lariat has a great reputation on FTE.Paw's 150 Lariat has a great reputation on FTE.Paw's 150 Lariat has a great reputation on FTE.
Another way to go is to use a Reese Sidewinder pin box. It gives more turning radius on a SWB truck. No need for a slider with this.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:51 PM
kurthb
Senior User
kurthb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by -brent View Post
I have 6.8 bed and a 8.5 wide 5th toyhauler with B W slider. Ours is a SRW , however I upgraded tires and rims to get a taller and wider stance from stock. We have no problems.
What did you go from and to on the tire size?

Old 05-16-2018, 06:33 PM
-brent
Junior User
-brent is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by kurthb View Post
What did you go from and to on the tire size?
I had 245/ 17 tires on 7.5 wide wheels (stock). I went to 275/ 18 on 9.5 wheels and it seems to make a difference. We have air bags on as well and I never really have a problem.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:14 PM
kurthb
Senior User
kurthb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by -brent View Post
I had 245/ 17 tires on 7.5 wide wheels (stock). I went to 275/ 18 on 9.5 wheels and it seems to make a difference. We have air bags on as well and I never really have a problem.
Humm...not a bad idea gives more of a footprint....and thus better stability I would assume

Old 05-20-2018, 06:47 AM
RKlass
New User
RKlass is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a SRW short bed with a 101" fifth wheel. I have a B&W patriot slider in mine. First thing I did when I got it all set up was slowly jacknifed in my yard to see how far I could go. How far you can go will greatly depend on the trailer and how the nose is. My old trailer wouldn't come anywhere near this Columbus that I have. The new one is way more rounded in the front and allows me to almost get to 90 degrees. There's no way I could hit the cab while travelling forward unless on some extreme angle so I'm good with that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.