1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 07:02 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,442 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Your right, I misread the ad title and saw what I wanted instead of what it said. In addition, I completely missed the small section that said "brand: smeding".

It was my fault for not paying attention to detail like I normally do. If the seller does not take the return, I will either relist it on Ebay or sell it to someone through FTE.

I am hopeful my mistake will not be too costly. Either way, I have a genuine Borg Warner .91 housing on the way. I was 100% sure about the purchase this time.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I got lucky and Smeding has accepted the return request. I am thankful that my mistake did not cost me anything other than time. I will take this opportunity to pay more attention to detail, as I have done in the past.

Total cost of parts on order thus far is below.

SXE Super Core $606.11
Turbine Housing $129.74
T4 kit w/CCV port $1,450.00

Still a few more little pieces to get on order, hope to get that done today or tomorrow after I finish working on the camper and finishing up some things on the truck.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:21 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
How come you didnt order the super core and housing from the same supplier the first time?!?

Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by akcooper9
How come you didnt order the super core and housing from the same supplier the first time?!?
Hey, at least he ordered the right turbo the first time! I know a guy that bought stock turbo parts, then another turbo, and then finally got the right one.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by The Brad

Hey, at least he ordered the right turbo the first time! I know a guy that bought stock turbo parts, then another turbo, and then finally got the right one.
I bought a ww2 for a 66 and tried to put it in a stock turbo..........

Old 07-30-2018, 11:15 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692

I’m just throwing stones from my glass house. If I could get back the money I’ve spent on failed “upgrades “, I’d be rich!

Old 07-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by akcooper9
Well, when I bought the super core it was through a store in NC through Ebay. Their price on the housing was not as low as the housing I bought, which turned out to be a Smeding Diesel housing. So, I thought I was saving a few bucks, but really I bought the wrong part because I was too focused on the SX-E part of the listing to pay attention to anything else. I also think I was a few beers into the evening and that may or may not have had something to do with it.

Originally Posted by The Brad

We learn from our mistakes and keep going. When ordering the rest of the bits and pieces, I plan to be very selective and careful.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:44 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Now that would have been a head scratcher...

I am just glad I opened the box and saw Smeding on the side of the housing. I would have been pretty pissed with myself if I had waited until the install date and then noticed it. I probably would have shot it and run it over with the truck at that point.

I am going to try to insert a funny comment or something regarding this screw up when I do the install video, we will see though.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:03 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
. I probably would have shot it and run it over with the truck at that point.
Is there that much difference between the unit you want, and that Smeding unit?

Stewart

Old 07-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Is there that much difference between the unit you want, and that Smeding unit?

Stewart
I don't think so, but that is only an assumption. I do know that the outside passenger side (visible from the passenger side of the truck) of the turbine had "Smeding" cast into it and had a Texas star. Normally I don't have any issues with the Texas star and support Texas on most of the calls they make, but that would have set my OCD off into overdrive each time I opened the hood. The Borg Warner housing has their "AirWerks" logo in the same place, which is OK with my OCD since that is what I bought/wanted.

Still debating on painting the housing to prevent rust/discoloration. I am currently seeking advice of some of the other BW fellas.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:52 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Paint everything that can rust. My mounting plate and center section are a little rusty and it is a bummer to spend the cash and have it not be pretty forever. If I ever have it all off I hope I have time to clean it up and paint.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:59 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Paint everything that can rust. My mounting plate and center section are a little rusty and it is a bummer to spend the cash and have it not be pretty forever. If I ever have it all off I hope I have time to clean it up and paint.
Just to make sure we are on the same page for the paint.

The center section is this?

The mounting plate is this? I don't think you are talking about the pedestal, just want to be clear though.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:02 PM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Move south and you wont have that problem

Old 07-30-2018, 08:11 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Well, to be fair, cast iron parts will rust just about anywhere. For example, the IH cast iron water pump that I installed 4 years ago is covered in rust. It still works great and the inside channels are clear, but the exterior sure looks like crap. I should have painted it before installing it, but this was the first repair I had to do to my truck after buying it and frankly I forgot about it.

I am already planning to paint the CAC tubes, so I will probably paint what I can. Probably going to paint the turbo and turbine silver and the CAC and up-pipes black.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:37 PM
Silverhks
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I strongly suggest getting at least the housings ceramic coated. I would probably do the up and down pipes as well. It is a little pricey but the side effects are well worth it, lowering of underhood temps and quicker spool. Although the quicker spool doesn't seem to be an issue with this turbo/diesel combo.

Quick Reply: T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...