Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Old 07-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Sous
Moderator and SXE Junkie!
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
I will give you my take in the billet plenum vs billet plenum inserts discussion. When I was building my parts list for the T4/SXE install I had billet plenums from RiffRaff on the list.

I had installed the billet inserts years ago for a fraction of the cost of the billet plenums and they had and were doing a great job. Both are superior products and one should not be discounted on the basis of the other.

As I tore into the auxiliary equipment on the engine I tested the plenums and OEM seals on said plenums for leaks. I found none and knowing that OEM plenums that are not leaking are good to ~45 lbs of boost I left the OEM plenums alone and moved on. I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance, but I also subscribe to the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" newsletter.

I did take the opportunity to test the GP's and after 3 tested bad, I ended up replacing GP's, UVCH's and gaskets because they needed attention after 255,000 miles.

Anyway, the choice is yours and your path is chosen only by you after many of us have pointed you in different directions.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:39 PM
Ridedan2
Freshman User
Ridedan2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Since I can not create a sig, I will try to post a picture-everyone likes pictures!

Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Looks heavy just staring at it..

Old 07-12-2019, 02:41 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Maybe I didn't state my reasoning clearly. O.P is taking off his e99 plenums and replacing with l99 plenums, and would be wise to use R.R inserts in the replacement parts if that is what he uses. To me its not worth the chance using and resealing used parts and adding inserts. Maybe the used parts were not taken off with care, and might not seal correctly. Maybe new OEM ?The stockers are a bit weak, which is why inserts are used. The billets also seal with an o ring.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by stinson 108-1 View Post
Maybe I didn't state my reasoning clearly. O.P is taking off his e99 plenums and replacing with l99 plenums, and would be wise to use R.R inserts in the replacement parts if that is what he uses. To me its not worth the chance using and resealing used parts and adding inserts. Maybe the used parts were not taken off with care, and might not seal correctly. Maybe new OEM ?The stockers are a bit weak, which is why inserts are used. The billets also seal with an o ring.
Your reasoning is sound it the path forward is up to Ridedan2. Both paths regarding the plenums have advantages and disadvantages.

Keep the ideas and discussions going. This is how people become familiar and comfortable with the process. I just wish I had gone this route several years ago, but we live and learn.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Plenty of 7.3 heads have had the OEM plenums removed in preparation of hot tanking....prior to getting valve work done. I myself removed the OEM plenums on a '96 vintage 7.3PSD...and successfully resealed them with the TA-31 sealant. I would have no hesitation of doing it again.The plenum inserts are nice because you can put the torque the the clamp then.

Or...throw down $300 at RiffRaff for the billet plenums. (FYI...new stockers are $66 ea)

Old 07-12-2019, 05:34 PM
Ridedan2
Freshman User
Thank you for all the suggestions, Myself and anyone reading this thread in the future will be aware of these options for their E99. Also you can leave the 2" plenums and simply get reduced rubber boots. Although that is an option, I would certainly not go that route simply because my objective is to provide the engine with more air.

After a a quick search I also seen irate has intake plenums available for 225$.

The intake plenums look like something that can be welded up in a afternoon using metal from the scrape pile.

As far as getting them from the local U pull it, that is just the idea that came to mind, not set in stone. Considering you can buy the entire 7.3 engine for about 200 bucks at Vince's U pull it, that is my usual go to when I need to source parts.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:35 PM
Jo7.3
Senior User
Jo7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Ridedan2 View Post
Since I can not create a sig, I will try to post a picture-everyone likes pictures!
Kind of off topic, but you have almost the exact same truck as me. Iíve got an early 99 same paint and cab configuration as yours. Only difference I see is youíve got the door badges and Iíve got the fender badges. I have yet to see a super cab short bed with the same paint scheme as mine...until now lol! Nice rig.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Ridedan2
Freshman User
Thank you Jo7.3

Old 07-13-2019, 06:00 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.stinson 108-1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Ridedan, where are you? Reason I ask is, I know the name on the side of that building.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:58 AM
Ridedan2
Freshman User
I am in the Delanson/Duanesburg area.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:41 AM
countrycar
Posting Guru
countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm also making the switch from a 38R to and BW sxe. A lot of good info here in preparation for the install.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:44 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Ok. I'm in jersey, so nobody I know.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Sous
Originally Posted by countrycar View Post
I'm also making the switch from a 38R to and BW sxe. A lot of good info here in preparation for the install.
countrycar keep us updated on how things are going and if you run into a questions or concerns.

Again, make sure you have a somewhat hit tune ready to run once the SXE is installed. The SXE will run on a stock tune, but really shines (even towing heavy) with a hopped up tune.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:04 PM
countrycar
Posting Guru
countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.countrycar has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
countrycar keep us updated on how things are going and if you run into a questions or concerns.

Again, make sure you have a somewhat hit tune ready to run once the SXE is installed. The SXE will run on a stock tune, but really shines (even towing heavy) with a hopped up tune.
I have the turbo already, I just need to get with Carson to order up the T4 kit. I don't have time to install it just now, so I'm not in a big rush to order it up either. I believe he needs 2 weeks lead time to build the kit. I've got a few hopped up tunes on my Hydra ready to run with the turbo as well.
Thank you sir.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.