T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made... - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Old 05-30-2018, 09:43 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
white Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud of
If the time comes for new injectors in my F-250 I will go with hybrids as well. I almost went with them for the Excursion. Pocket, Tony and some others have explained it well in this forum and others.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:01 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by white Buffalo View Post
If the time comes for new injectors in my F-250 I will go with hybrids as well. I almost went with them for the Excursion. Pocket, Tony and some others have explained it well in this forum and others.

Would either 160 or 180's with an 80 nozzle be like the 238/80 graph but go flat at 160 or 180?

Old 06-01-2018, 02:10 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
white Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud of
I would think it would be between the two graphs, leaning maybe more towards the second. Iíll have to look and see if I saved a graph with the 160/80ís. As long as you keep the pulse width under 3 ms then there really should not be an issue. The nice thing about going with hybrids for me is that I would not need to upgrade my HPOP. I did install the T500 when we installed the 160/80ís on the Excursion.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:14 PM
The Brad
Elder User
The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
At a certain point, the amount of oil that needs to flow past the poppet valve is what limits A codes. I’m guessing that’s why you don’t see many over 180cc. I can’t remember where I got these charts from, but I’m guessing it was from one of the injector builders.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:42 PM
sjbj
Junior User
sjbj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Subscribed to this thread. Didn't know anything about this turbo option, only the drop in style. I would love to get more towing power for towing my 5th wheel (and still maintain lower EGT's) when I have the money to spare.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:17 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
My wife and I will be taking our new to us camper out for 8 days soon and once we return I will start ordering the parts for the T4/SXE kit. Below is my current list of parts that need to be ordered.

As for the "Possible parts required" section, those are just thoughts going through my head and noted down for future pondering. Instead of writing things down, I tend to use a laptop and MS Office tools to take notes. That way I can read them in the future because I write like a drunk 5 year old on meth...

- 3.5" to 4" exhaust adapter is a possibility based on how the flex pipe mates to the 4" exhaust and if an adapter comes with the CSD kit.
- Passenger side CAC tube is because I think I am going to have the new CSD driver side CAC tube and the passenger (new or existing) powder coated satin black.
- MAP sensor may be required based on TP/Forscan readings of the sensor because I had been pushing 30-32 PSI against it in the past. I assume it is OK, but I won't know for sure until I read the logs.
- O-rings may be required for the oil rails since I will have the down pipe and turbo out anyway.

I have a good friend that may be providing me with the battery tray, bracket, filter and miscellaneous other parts, so the total price may go down a bit. Then when I recoup a bit of funds from selling the take off parts I think I will be well below $1800 total for the upgrade to the T4/SXE.

I am still planning to do an install video for the T4/SXE, but that will depend on how the install goes really.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:38 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
- O-rings may be required for the oil rails since I will have the down pipe and turbo out anyway.
I wish I would have done that.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
I wish I would have done that.
I plan to give them a good look over and if there is any sign of oil coming out of them they will get replaced. If they look clean and in good shape, they will stay in place for hopefully another 250,000 miles.

I will probably test/ohm the glow plugs while I have the valley clear too and move forward from there. I have no problems starting the truck at all with the Denso starter and NorthStar AGM batteries, but testing the glow plugs is easy enough with the harnesses unplugged from the outside of the valve cover.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:06 PM
akcooper9
Elder User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I plan to give them a good look over and if there is any sign of oil coming out of them they will get replaced. If they look clean and in good shape, they will stay in place for hopefully another 250,000 miles.

I will probably test/ohm the glow plugs while I have the valley clear too and move forward from there. I have no problems starting the truck at all with the Denso starter and NorthStar AGM batteries, but testing the glow plugs is easy enough with the harnesses unplugged from the outside of the valve cover.
With the valley clean/clear it would also be a good time to do any additional fuel upgrades if you are thinking about it (FRX or 4 Way Feed)

Old 07-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Turbo super core and turbine housing purchased for $741 shipped. Will call CSD tomorrow to order the T4 kit. Following that and some maintenance on the truck, I will purchase the other bits and pieces that go around the engine bay.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:14 PM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
looking forward to your install video

Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 AM
akcooper9
Elder User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sous we lied. The SXE is the wrong turbo for you. Send it to my house

Old 07-25-2018, 08:32 AM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
looking forward to your install video
I was thinking last night how to get it started and I think I will do an inclusive video with removing the existing pieces too. Only, I will do them at 4x or maybe 2x speed and cut to the important parts. Not everyone has removed up pipes or the pedestal before, so I think that will be a worthwhile part of the video.

Originally Posted by akcooper9 View Post
Sous we lied. The SXE is the wrong turbo for you. Send it to my house
I tried that with you, and it didn't work... Calling CSD in a few to get the T4 kit with CCV port ordered.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:28 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Uh oh....now it's getting serious....parts in hand.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Carson Stauffer Diesel T4 kit w/CCV port ordered. Total shipped to house is $1450. The tube with the port is expected in about 3 weeks, but that is OK with me because I will be installing this in the fall. Until then, I will be staring at the parts in the garage.

Headed to mow the lawn and then help a friend install a pool liner. I will get the other misc pieces on order later after several 33 degree cold beers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.