T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made... - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
He must have been making calls yesterday. He called me too. I had sent him a message a week ago about having some changes made and told him I was not in any hurry as would not be using the truck for a little bit. My thinking is if It is not a critical problem for me I would rather have the person look at it when it is best for them. I explained what I think I am looking for and he asked some questions. He is making a few adjustments and sending a file or 2 to try out. Looks like I will be hauling tractors this weekend or next so I should be able to compare them back to back.

And as far as the changes I think I want a little more fuel in the 1700rpm to 2100 rpm area. The comparable swamps tune seems more powerful at that rpm range. above that I think i like the 1023 better.

157 to fill up the truck last night. Missed the station still at $2.93 as it jumped to $3.29 but caught the one still at $3.01. 22 gallons in the main tank and 30 in the aux. now fuel can drop in price since I am full.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:39 AM
mcnance865
Senior User
mcnance865 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by akcooper9 View Post
From my experience, 1023's tunes work better then GH tunes.
I will second that.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:21 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by mcnance865 View Post
I will second that.
I will add a third on this point.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:22 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
So Sous, when will this transformation occur?

Have you given thought to AC injectors? Same price as AD but better fuel economy and a modest performance boost and you have all the supporting mods in place-do it!!

Old 05-17-2018, 04:24 PM
Macmathews
Elder User
Macmathews is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by SRBF150 View Post

Have you given thought to AC injectors? Same price as AD but better fuel economy and a modest performance boost and you have all the supporting mods in place-do it!!
On a side note..
How do you find your injectors related to fuel economy ?

Kyle

Old 05-17-2018, 04:42 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
Originally Posted by Macmathews View Post
On a side note..
How do you find your injectors related to fuel economy ?

Kyle
Good, better than AD by about 1.5mpg. I get 15.8 country driving and anywhere from 9-12mpg towing depending on the conditions. Not sure about hwy because I've never driven highway enough unloaded to empty a tank...

Old 05-17-2018, 04:49 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by SRBF150 View Post

I was speaking to Dusty about this very subject last night. We just bought the new to us 5th wheel and are in the process of decking it out to make it our own. Simple things such as screen door springs to complete solar battery charging system. I want to get the camper squared away first before committing my mechanical abilities and time to the truck. I don't mind a few little projects being left unfinished at the same time, but big projects like the T4/SXE and camper upgrades I do not like have going at the same time. If I had to guess, I would say early fall time frame because the garage will be cooler then and camping season will be over.

We have decided on the T4/SXE kit for sure and I have the money in the bank set aside, so there is no question of if, just when.

As for the AC injectors, I will wait to see how the truck does with stock AD's that I have in now and the T4/SXE. If/when I need new injectors, based on the truck performance towing the 5th wheel I will either stick with AD's or get AC's.

If I went with the AC's, I would have to get my PCM flashed, then new tunes so there is those costs that go into it as well. My hopes are that the stock AD's will do great with the T4/SXE in my application and I will roll on down the road like that for the next 750,000 miles. I know Aaron likes the performance out of his truck with the AD's, but he is looking to upgrade in the future too.

With me being officially retired next Saturday, money will be at a fixed rate and will take longer to save up too, so there is that to figure in when looking forward to AD's or AC's.

I still plan/hope to take you up on your offer to see the T4/SXE kit in person though.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Nice write up Sous. Sometimes I wish I didn’t have the E99, upgrades would be much easier and Cheaper! I’m sure you’re going to enjoy the upgrades!

Old 05-17-2018, 06:56 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
You don't have to flash the pcm although I understand why. Stage it. The injectors cost the same but single shots work better, it's a scaled down T4 vs. OEM mount turbo decision. Indeed, anytime you're up for checking out my heap in person you're welcome. It runs so well I haven't messed with it since the T4 swap was completed other than routine maint.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:06 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
..... Sometimes I wish I didn’t have the E99, upgrades would be much easier and Cheaper! .....
Yup. I agree and felt the same way which is why I slowly gathered parts from junk yards for a few years until everything that I needed to do the swap was in a box in my garage.
I was able to find deals on the turbo, pedestal, spider, plenums and eventually only had about $100 in all of those. Then the turbo and up pipes changed the math. I may be jumping on the bandwagon and upgrading my Ex to a T4 sometime soon due to not liking the EGT's associated with the 160/0's and stock turbo when pulling 10k up in these small mountains. Unlike the '99 dually, she's a pavement queen and doesn't work very hard very often and I would like to keep the fuel efficiency as close to stock as possible. If so, I'll give notice in a thread and post the parts in the for sale thread at a decent price for any of the e99 owners who are interested.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jhl3 View Post
Yup. I agree and felt the same way which is why I slowly gathered parts from junk yards for a few years until everything that I needed to do the swap was in a box in my garage.
I was able to find deals on the turbo, pedestal, spider, plenums and eventually only had about $100 in all of those. Then the turbo and up pipes changed the math. I may be jumping on the bandwagon and upgrading my Ex to a T4 sometime soon due to not liking the EGT's associated with the 160/0's and stock turbo when pulling 10k up in these small mountains. Unlike the '99 dually, she's a pavement queen and doesn't work very hard very often and I would like to keep the fuel efficiency as close to stock as possible. If so, I'll give notice in a thread and post the parts in the for sale thread at a decent price for any of the e99 owners who are interested.
ĎIf I hadnít just done bellowed ups and rebuilt the turbo I might follow your lead. But for now itís running great and my wallet is closed so, Iím very happy.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:06 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
white Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud ofwhite Buffalo has much to be proud of
This is a great read, thanks for posting!

Old 05-30-2018, 07:09 AM
Macmathews
Elder User
Macmathews is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by white Buffalo View Post
This is a great read, thanks for posting!
Agreed..
I have decided on the same turbo set-up with Hybrid.. 205/80's
Seems to be a combo that 1023 likes

Kyle

Old 05-30-2018, 09:27 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Dusty at 1023 Tuning speaks very highly of hybrid injectors. I had quite a lengthy conversation with him regarding the T4/SXE setup and hybrid injectors.

When my wife and I get the chance to pull the 5th wheel up to Alaska, we plan to go by 1023 Tuning for a shop tour and to shoot the **** for a few with Dusty.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:33 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Dusty at 1023 Tuning speaks very highly of hybrid injectors. I had quite a lengthy conversation with him regarding the T4/SXE setup and hybrid injectors.

When my wife and I get the chance to pull the 5th wheel up to Alaska, we plan to go by 1023 Tuning for a shop tour and to shoot the **** for a few with Dusty.
‘If you have your upgrades by that time maybe he could do some live tuning and get everything dialed in while you’re there. If he actually does I’ve tuning...lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.