1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Harbor Freight sells the moving blankets and they’re actually descent quality. Sous, Paint is looking good. Did you use a self etching primer?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:40 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Whatever the VHT primer is that is to be used with the high temp paint is. Not sure what it is, but have used it in the past with decent results.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:42 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
All GP's are in, both gaskets are in and both UVCH's are in.

The passenger side GP's tested nearly the same as the driver side. I think it might be my selection of engine ground choices, but I am not concerned about it to say the least. 2 of the 3 bad ones tested in the 40's and the third was OL.

Cannot see much, but I know we all love pictures.

Why is it so dark between cylinder 2 and 4? Just curious almost looks like something melted there.

Old 11-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Just a trick of the flash and camera I guess. Just went out to compare the space between all of the cylinders, even on the passenger side and they all look the same. There is some discoloration of the metal I guess from oil and what not, but it is consistent across all cylinders.

Old 11-06-2018, 09:04 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Dont listen to him Sousjector..freaks' mess'n wichah...lol. You giving the bolts a torqy or gunna play whacka-mole like Tugs did

Old 11-06-2018, 09:25 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I have not checked the injector bolts yet, but unlike Tugly, these injectors have been in the truck for 255,000 miles. If I had recently installed them, I would have checked them already.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Finished most of the painting first thing this morning, just some finishing touches left on the turbine housing and the up-pipes left to do.

The UVCH clips FINALLY made it to Atlanta at 3:30 this morning, so probably be here today or definitely by tomorrow. Then I can proceed with putting the valve covers on and getting back to business. The painting should be cured by then as well, so maybe the time frame of everything will work out just fine.

Today I am headed up to SC to see a friend of mine that retired from the service a few months before me to hang out, shoot the **** and drink a few beers.

Have a nice day everyone.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:22 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I have not checked the injector bolts yet, but unlike Tugly, these injectors have been in the truck for 255,000 miles. If I had recently installed them, I would have checked them already.
Good plan. I also wouldn't disturb something that is working, especially after that many miles.

Once you start messing with something it might become an issue, even if you're trying to make it better.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:25 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Dont listen to him Sousjector..freaks' mess'n wichah...lol. You giving the bolts a torqy or gunna play whacka-mole like Tugs did
Glad the Souster is gettin er done

Old 11-07-2018, 08:34 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Nice progress Sous! I like the paint, definitely a plus for longevity.

Tangential but relevant; if injectors are swapped cranking over with the starter to clear the cylinders is overkill. Pulling a breaker bar to rotate the crank will clear the cylinders very well. No injectors are out in this instance so it's moot.

At this juncture, failing to hot torque the injectors would be grounds for FTE impeachment. And I vote.

Very curious about EGTs with the new turbo. Should be good! I tried to beat EGTs down with a big IC but that's kinda weak tea compared to a good turbo.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:36 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350

Tangential but relevant; if injectors are swapped cranking over with the starter to clear the cylinders is overkill. Pulling a breaker bar to rotate the crank will clear the cylinders very well. No injectors are out in this instance so it's moot.

At this juncture, failing to hot torque the injectors would be grounds for FTE impeachment. And I vote.

Very curious about EGTs with the new turbo. Should be good! I tried to beat EGTs down with a big IC but that's kinda weak tea compared to a good turbo.
Cold torqued my injector hold down bolts in January, checked them last week, still good, no need to hot torque.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350

I see both sides of the argument for hot Torque and leaving them alone since they’re in there for a long time. One thought would be to try one if it moves at all well then we discuss torquing them or impeachment proceedings. .

So question for those with experience on this subject, could Sous “ negatively effect, damage/ screw up” anything with regards to his trouble free performance to date by hot torquing them at this point??

Sous are you still running a stock exhaust?

Old 11-07-2018, 11:14 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I will check a couple of the injectors cold, then go from there.

I have 4" MBRP exhaust after the 3.5" CSD down pipe.

Finish paint and start baking paint on today, when the sun comes up. UVCH clips will be here in the afternoon, so valve covers go back on Friday morning.

Then SXE turbo installation really starts.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Checked a few of the injector bolts, they all clicked the wrench at 125 in/lbs. I will not be pushing them any further since they have been good (knock on wood) for 255,000 miles.

Finished the last bits of painting this morning on the up-pipes and turbine housing. Everything looks good and I am excited to get the SXE installed soon. The UVCH clips are finally out for delivery, 4 days late after getting lost somewhere in Atlanta. Today I will build my oven to provide the first baking cycle for the high temp painted parts. I use 2 heat guns, one is a smaller crafting style gun that my wife no longer used and I took that I use for heat shrinking wires and what not. The other is a larger and much more power gun that goes to 1100 degrees which will be more than enough to provide the first, or even the second baking cycle on the parts in the homemade oven.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Valve covers back on and all bolts in. Believe it or not, it was much easier to put the covers back on than it was taking them off. I guess I learned a few things. The only bolt that gave me a bit of trouble was the one by the firewall on the driver side. All the others went in fairly easy with little to no fuss. Oil dipstick tube even cooperated.

I reinstalled the CCV housing with new o-rings and sealed it back up.

Built a heat/hot box for the painted parts. First part is in there now baking and will be done soon. I can do some of the smaller parts at the same time, but the driver side CAC tube and down pipe are probably going it solo.

More to follow.

Quick Reply: T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...