T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made... - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Old 05-02-2018, 05:36 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Brian, you have been a great source of information and advice. You have also been a sounding board many times that most of the other FTE members have not been subjected to. I appreciate your thoughts in this thread and your guidance because you and I do think a lot alike.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm always happy to share my experiences so others can learn from my successes and mistakes. No reason to re-invent the wheel!

Frankly, I am hopeful that I can stop using my "heavy tow" tune and just use my "daily drive" tune for everything. Then I will only have 2 real tunes to switch between which are daily drive and high idle once in a while. We will see what happens though.
Of the 14 tunes I have (long story) I pretty much only use my PHP 65HP Daily Driver tune. If I can ever get GH to update my files for the abusive shifting (I contacted them in March) I might use more.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:55 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.
Commendable amount of homework demonstrated Sous! I would suggest new AC injectors 160/0 over stock. I think the single shots work better and the mpg increase would be a nice benefit as well as a modest performance boost and ability to obtain them anywhere if needed.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:25 PM
IDI-Charlie
Posting Guru
IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.
I listed both sets of injectors as new prices both for the Alliant and the PIS.
I'm in the 'New injectors only' party as well, and am glad I listened to Rich's advice when doing my research. My 160/80s have been absolutely fantastic!

Now, I will advise against going with a set from PIS, no matter what you get from them. Tim sold the business and all tooling earlier in the year, and apparently most customer service has gone out the window. I know Joe (GaugePro) has been having multiple issues with injectors and getting them warrantied since the change over, despite the reassurance they gave him that nothing would change on that front.

Is everyone getting treated like that? Hard to say. But seeing as Joe has been dealing with them for eight years and is getting the run-around now, I'd be a bit leary of how they'd deal with an individual.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:55 PM
The Brad
Elder User
The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.The Brad has a great reputation on FTE.
Grays Diesel owns PIS now and I’ve heard nothing but problems with customer service. With reputable players like Rosewood, Swamps, Unlimited and Full Force, I’d steer clear of the new PIS.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:09 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
Well crap, I was getting ready to pull the 160/0 injectors on the Ex and send them to Tim at P.I.S. for new 80% nozzles. I guess I'm now looking for a new builder.
I strongly considered Ryan Casserly of FF the last time I was buying injectors due to the time he spent on the phone and the knowledge he shared.

Who is the "go-to" now.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:38 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
If all you're doing is changing nozzles can't we just do that ourselves? It probably requires a tool to be made or bought but it's not that expensive to buy.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:06 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
jhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to beholdjhl3 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
If all you're doing is changing nozzles can't we just do that ourselves? It probably requires a tool to be made or bought but it's not that expensive to buy.
What is this "we" about Kemosabe? Gotta a mouse in your pocket? Haha. Cheers!

Good point, Mark! Thank you! You may serve as my inspiration to "just do it". I "ain't skeer'd" of the big stuff, just the tiny things. I suppose that I could but I have no idea what or if something is under spring tension: barrels/plungers, etc. I've never tried it and it is out of my comfort zone. I have unrealistic visions of horror dancing in my head: like removing the back off of a Swiss watch and having parts eject all over the place which would be reminiscent of the first time I removed the butt stock off of a BAR and all of the buffering cones went flying back in the '80's with Uncle Sam and all of the ensuing push-ups, mountain climbers, etc. My battles with ANXIETY! Based upon the research I have done, the flow testing that the builders provide mostly applies to the internals instead of the nozzles: at least on the 0% and 80%'ers. I could be wrong and if so please correct me.

I had a friend that tried without the tool: used a vice and he really screwed up on the first two and all I saw was the aftermath which didn't bode well for me.

Maybe it is time to buy the tool and give it a go. That sure would beat the heck out of having the truck torn down for a week or two if I were to remove them, complete the conversion, and reassemble a truck that runs in one day. If I do, I'll offer up the tool to other members instead of it gathering dust on a shelf in my garage due to infrequent use.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:12 AM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by IDI-Charlie View Post
I'm in the 'New injectors only' party as well, and am glad I listened to Rich's advice when doing my research. My 160/80s have been absolutely fantastic!

Now, I will advise against going with a set from PIS, no matter what you get from them. Tim sold the business and all tooling earlier in the year, and apparently most customer service has gone out the window. I know Joe (GaugePro) has been having multiple issues with injectors and getting them warrantied since the change over, despite the reassurance they gave him that nothing would change on that front.

Is everyone getting treated like that? Hard to say. But seeing as Joe has been dealing with them for eight years and is getting the run-around now, I'd be a bit leary of how they'd deal with an individual.
Thanks for the information, not only for my use, but others as well. We (I) had seen a decline in service from PIS for the past little while, but was not aware of the underlying causes. PIS was my consideration last year for new 160/80 injectors. Since I have decided against that, PIS is off the table anyway and I will source injectors from RiffRaff when needed. Hopefully that will not be for another 150K miles or so though. That is just one more reason why I would like to run the OEM injectors with the T4/SXE setup. I know it runs well and clean (better with larger/single shot injectors) with OEM injectors and I can maintain the tuning I have and the PCM I have in case there are software or hardware problems with the chip or tuning.

It is a shame that some of the bigger names have pretty much gone down the toilet due to customer service issues.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:43 AM
beef tits
Senior User
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Re new injectors; I read somewhere that the Alliant "new" injectors are actually factory remans at this point, does anyone have any further insight than hearsay?

Re GH re-tunes; GH has been super slow, I'm also waiting on a tune change request that was initiated in March. If I don't hear back soon I am going to try 1023 that everyone has been raving about.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:45 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud ofbrian42 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SRBF150 View Post
Commendable amount of homework demonstrated Sous! I would suggest new AC injectors 160/0 over stock. I think the single shots work better and the mpg increase would be a nice benefit as well as a modest performance boost and ability to obtain them anywhere if needed.
I got a little less than 1 MPG increase but considering it's a freight train now I would consider it effectively more than that since it has more power AND better economy.

Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
Grays Diesel owns PIS now and I’ve heard nothing but problems with customer service. With reputable players like Rosewood, Swamps, Unlimited and Full Force, I’d steer clear of the new PIS.

Originally Posted by jhl3 View Post
Well crap, I was getting ready to pull the 160/0 injectors on the Ex and send them to Tim at P.I.S. for new 80% nozzles. I guess I'm now looking for a new builder.
I strongly considered Ryan Casserly of FF the last time I was buying injectors due to the time he spent on the phone and the knowledge he shared.

Who is the "go-to" now.
Thanks for the information, not only for my use, but others as well. We (I) had seen a decline in service from PIS for the past little while, but was not aware of the underlying causes. PIS was my consideration last year for new 160/80 injectors. Since I have decided against that, PIS is off the table anyway and I will source injectors from RiffRaff when needed. Hopefully that will not be for another 150K miles or so though. That is just one more reason why I would like to run the OEM injectors with the T4/SXE setup. I know it runs well and clean (better with larger/single shot injectors) with OEM injectors and I can maintain the tuning I have and the PCM I have in case there are software or hardware problems with the chip or tuning.

It is a shame that some of the bigger names have pretty much gone down the toilet due to customer service issues.
That would explain why I've had nothing but issues with P.I.S. They were decent to begin with (last summer) then immediately turned marginal after the purchase. It wasn't long before it went in the toilet (took 4 months to sort out an issue that was their fault). The only way I can contact them now is through their "Contact Us" e-mail on their website. I may not be a "regular" customer but I think I deserve a contact number after dropping almost $3000 with them. Unfortunately I bought GH tunes through them so I have to go through P.I.S. for any adjustments. Couple that with GH being incredibly unresponsive (called them also) and I have $200 worth of tuning sitting on my laptop that I can't use and have been trying to get revised since March.

FWIW Full Force was my (very) close second choice. Someone always answered the phone and they were always willing to talk or call me back to answer my questions. I already had it in my mind that P.I.S. was "it" so nobody else had a real chance in the end. I'm really happy with the sticks but the people part has turned me off of them. Luckily I didn't have any issues with the sticks and they have worked great right out of the box (further solidifying that I made the right choice to go new instead of reman/rebuilt). My warranty is up next month so any further injector business I do will be with Ryan and FF. Now if I can just figure out how to deal with GH directly I can fully divorce myself from P.I.S.

Sorry for the Sous. With so many others chiming in with disappointment I thought I would share mine, especially since we've discussed my odyssey over the last year.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:39 PM
IDI-Charlie
Posting Guru
IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by brian42 View Post
Now if I can just figure out how to deal with GH directly I can fully divorce myself from P.I.S
If I recall GH agreed to work with someone else in your shoes directly before, can't remember his name right off unfortulately. Matt hasn't been doing the tuning lately, a boy that goes by Kenton has - ever since I've heard of quite a few tunes needing revisions. When the time comes for me to jump ship on chips (given my tight-butted wallet lets me), I will be attempting to get Matt to write my tunes vs Kenton. If not, I will have to be going with another tuner to wet my whistle.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:44 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.
My .02 is ditch GH and go to 1023. It's not worth the hassle your going through and 1023 tunes are better in my experience.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:30 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
If I recall GH agreed to work with someone else in your shoes directly before, can't remember his name right off unfortulately. Matt hasn't been doing the tuning lately, a boy that goes by Kenton has - ever since I've heard of quite a few tunes needing revisions. When the time comes for me to jump ship on chips (given my tight-butted wallet lets me), I will be attempting to get Matt to write my tunes vs Kenton. If not, I will have to be going with another tuner to wet my whistle.
They finally agreed to do that...back in March. Still waiting for tunes.

My .02 is ditch GH and go to 1023. It's not worth the hassle your going through and 1023 tunes are better in my experience.
Unfortunately I emptied my buck$zooka this last round so I have plenty of time to research my next tunes. 1023, Jelibuilt, and SDK are on my curiosity list.

Luckily I've had great customer service and support from PHP. Bill was nice enough to make some adjustments and help me with my smog test at no cost to me.

Sorry again, Sous, for the

Old 05-03-2018, 04:13 PM
akcooper9
Elder User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
I agree with you!

Old 05-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Sous
SXE Junkie
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Brian, no worries. I see this as a bunch of fellas sitting around BS'ing about a passion or hatred for their trucks.

This should serve as a learning platform for all members and visitors of FTE.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T4/SXE vs. KC38R - Decision has been made...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.