1955 F350 Build - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F350 Build

Old 07-17-2018, 10:51 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
For my 54 years ago I put it in by bringing it from under and behind the dash. For my 55 two years ago I realized the panel can be put in the hole from the front and then turned to put it in place. A lot easier. And less chance of scratching it.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:11 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Hotrod350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Got a lot done today and yet nothing at all.

I took the truck cover off for the first time since I got it. Took a good long look at the bead and it looks like I am going to make a flat bed like Dave (df85732) did. I would say it looks like I have two good sides but I think the PO was doing body work to make the wheel wells fit. All of the strips will have to be replaced as I do not have the skills or patience to rebuild them. The bed is going to come off before my first drive as it is held on by ratchet straps (Safety 3rd)

I also finished up with all of the brake lines and started to fill the system. Got to the point where there is no leaks at the wheels but a fitting underneath is spilling fluid like a nicked artery. Had to stop before I found that one because it was getting dark and the neighbors don't like me swearing loudly after dark Man, I spilled a lot of brake fluid today ...

One of the tasks I also finished today was the adjustment of my clutch peddle free play. I have it currently set at 1 inch. I know the manual specifies 1 1/8 - 1 3/8 but could I run less free play? Do I need to worry about the extra 1/8 inch?

Lost of bad parts, PO was better at repair work apparently

Franken bed. PO bought the wrong bed for it.

I have a list, and something checked off it already.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 AM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Kevin,
Looking good over there in Des Moines! So... You have a bed but don't like it?
What year do you think it's from? We spent a lot of time repairing our 1950 bed ...
I drew the line at keeping the bed & cab as original to 1950 so I could feel comfortable that
it was still an old truck. I got to the point where if I replaced everything it would have felt like a kit car to me.

Suspension - What plan are you thinking about? I notice you still have the original spring pack &
the helper springs. We replaced our's eventually - just couldn't get a comfortable cruising ride without some modern
touches.

Is there some science to the 2 colors on your chalk board list?

Days left 9? Might be the Gregorian calendar? Greek Orthodox calendar?

Keep up the momentum Kevin!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 07-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
Hey Kevin,
Looking good over there in Des Moines! So... You have a bed but don't like it?
What year do you think it's from? We spent a lot of time repairing our 1950 bed ...
I drew the line at keeping the bed & cab as original to 1950 so I could feel comfortable that
it was still an old truck. I got to the point where if I replaced everything it would have felt like a kit car to me.
It is not that I don't like the bed, just that to try and repair every single strip and cross member is outside my skill level and I may need to build something temporary until I can replace the old rusty pieces.
The PO picked up a random Ford bed from somewhere when he picked up the truck in Nebraska. He was going to repair everything.
I eventually want to put a bed on the truck but right now time and money are my restrictions.

Suspension - What plan are you thinking about? I notice you still have the original spring pack &
the helper springs. We replaced our's eventually - just couldn't get a comfortable cruising ride without some modern
touches.
Having not driven it yet I don't know how it is going to feel. I would imagine a 1 ton with nothing on the rear it is going to be harsh.
I eventually want to make this a towing/hauling truck so I like the fact that it is a 1 ton truck.
After I drive it and take some time to get to know her I was thinking of putting a 4 link in the back. Ridetech makes one meant for 1 ton trucks that uses air springs. With that I could adjust the back for driving/towing/whatever. The front is where it is going to be fun Might just have new springs made for the front and keep it stock.

Is there some science to the 2 colors on your chalk board list?
​​​​​​​
Blue is a catagory
Red(pink) is critical
Yellow is secondary
All in relation to getting the first drive in. Notice there is no mention of door latches, or windows, or a seat or ...

Days left 9? Might be the Gregorian calendar? Greek Orthodox calendar?
​​​​​​​
HAHA no conspiracy or anything. I am going in for hand surgery on the 26th. After that I am going to be out of commission for about a month, then they do the other hand . For two-ish months no real work is going to get done.. So it is a big push to get her operational so my neighbors can't complain about me having a derelict vehicle in my driveway that is sitting there neglected Gives me time to refund the war chest.

Keep up the momentum Kevin!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Thanks Ben I appreciate it, I like sharing these rambles with y'all.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:24 AM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Good luck on your Hand Surgery! We all tend to go in for tune ups after you reach a certain age.
I've had 3 heart tune up's so far - hands are good unless I drink beer ...

Get all fixed up for cruising in your old truck - you are getting close. First drive motivation is powerful!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Good luck with the hand surgery. Is it carpal tunnel? I hope since that is a quick recovery.

Bed strips are reproduced. I think MidFifty sells them for long beds, but if they do not Mar-K does. If you get plain steel they are not the much $$. Your cross members don't look too bad.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:10 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Good luck with the hand surgery. Is it carpal tunnel? I hope since that is a quick recovery.

Bed strips are reproduced. I think MidFifty sells them for long beds, but if they do not Mar-K does. If you get plain steel they are not the much $$. Your cross members don't look too bad.
It is Carpal Tunnel, a product if working on a computer 16ish hours a day for a decade and a half. That and poor typing posture.

About the bed, I am not sure on the length I need. I think it should be a 9 ft bed but the tail end of the frame may have been bobbed .... I need to measure it.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
No pictures today just snails progress. Fought all afternoon with the brake light pressure switch. It was leaking massively and when I tightened it, I striped threads. I got another fitting from the parts store and the same thing happened. So I did a brake light switch delete. I figure I can sort it out when I have more time. Once I got the new brake-light-less fitting in and everything tightened I started to bleed the brakes. Got the passenger rear done, only problem is a didn't notice the bottle I was catching fluid in has a hole in it to release pressure. I got a brake fluid money shot .... right in the eye. Luckily I always wear safety glasses

Old 07-20-2018, 12:58 PM
df85732
Elder User
df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.
Hey Kevin, I've been quietly following your build from the start. Thank you buy the way on your comments concerning my build. Yes our trucks are very similar. I have had the same challenges that you have. Rear brake drums, widow maker wheels, and 5.14 Timken rear axle have all been challenges. Keep plugging away and being persistent and you'll get there. Here is a picture of my bed currently. My side bed and fenders are in pretty good shape and i will need to replace the front panel, cross members, wood, straps and tailgate. All those parts are reproduced. For now the flat bed Good luck with your surgery!

Old 07-22-2018, 02:13 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Originally Posted by df85732 View Post
Hey Kevin, I've been quietly following your build from the start. Thank you buy the way on your comments concerning my build. Yes our trucks are very similar. I have had the same challenges that you have. Rear brake drums, widow maker wheels, and 5.14 Timken rear axle have all been challenges. Keep plugging away and being persistent and you'll get there. Here is a picture of my bed currently. My side bed and fenders are in pretty good shape and i will need to replace the front panel, cross members, wood, straps and tailgate. All those parts are reproduced. For now the flat bed Good luck with your surgery!
Thank you! Your bed looks a lot better than mine! I finally got it off. I should have done that sooner, rear end access is so much better now.

So, WOW. Today was brutal. My driveway looks like someone committed automotive homicide .... I changed the fluids in my diff and transmission. When I opened the transmission I missed my catch pan and half the fluid went over my driveway >.< Anyone have a good way to remove stains from driveways?
But I got a lot of the items on my list checked off. I lost the little clip that held the throttle bar to my pedal, so I took a spare cotter pin and bent a makeshift one.
Do the '55 F350's come in 8 foot bed variants? Because from the back of my cab to the end of my frame rail is 8 feet. I think someone my have bobbed the tail end of my truck. If so that my make it interesting to fit a bed onto the truck.

Ewwww Gunky oil

Bed finally off

Bobbed frame rail?

Old 07-22-2018, 05:32 PM
df85732
Elder User
df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.
The bed is the first thing I took off, and you are right it is so much easier to work on things. I took a picture for you so you would have some idea of what they "bobbed" off. From the very end of the frame there is a 8 1/2" extension added to the main frame. And also, from the very end of the frame it is 18 1/2 " to the main frame cross-over (directly above the spring shackle). The smaller cross-over piece is part of the spare tire frame. I would not think it would be that hard to fix if you wish to stay with the 9" bed.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:11 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Originally Posted by df85732 View Post
The bed is the first thing I took off, and you are right it is so much easier to work on things. I took a picture for you so you would have some idea of what they "bobbed" off. From the very end of the frame there is a 8 1/2" extension added to the main frame. And also, from the very end of the frame it is 18 1/2 " to the main frame cross-over (directly above the spring shackle). The smaller cross-over piece is part of the spare tire frame. I would not think it would be that hard to fix if you wish to stay with the 9" bed.
Thanks for the info and picture. It looks like they cut just fore of the rivet and cut off the extensions. That shouldn't be hard to fix. Just need to find some metal.

So I went for a short drive today. I got a few takeaways from the drive.
1. My brakes need more work.
2. I need to learn to drive a stick. It has been at least 10 years since I last drove one.
3. It is hard to use a clutch without back support.
4. Make sure your e-brake works.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:44 PM
knuckle-bustin
New User
knuckle-bustin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up Congrats on the drive!

Appreciate all of your posts, they have “incentivized” me to get my truck back to the garage (or at least close to it) from its current location as a lawn ornament so I can tear in. Thanks for that and congrats on the drive.

Originally Posted by Hotrod350 View Post
Thanks for the info and picture. It looks like they cut just fore of the rivet and cut off the extensions. That shouldn't be hard to fix. Just need to find some metal.

So I went for a short drive today. I got a few takeaways from the drive.
1. My brakes need more work.
2. I need to learn to drive a stick. It has been at least 10 years since I last drove one.
3. It is hard to use a clutch without back support.
4. Make sure your e-brake works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha6odZYDzrs

Old 07-23-2018, 10:59 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by knuckle-bustin View Post
Appreciate all of your posts, they have “incentivized” me to get my truck back to the garage (or at least close to it) from its current location as a lawn ornament so I can tear in. Thanks for that and congrats on the drive.

Hi Knuckle Busting! Welcome to FTE the best Ford truck Forum on the world wide web! That is why we are here, to help, to teach, to be taught, to share and to motivate. There are a lot of people here that are experts and are willing to help.

Show us some pics of your truck. It looks interesting. And start your own thread.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:42 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
I got another view from the outside!

For the frame end to the main crossover? Was the 18 1/2 inches from the back of the main frame cross over?
Now that my main goal is done I am working on some of the small stuff that needs to get done that I have been ignoring. Like paint.
Not doing anything permanent, just some rattle can stuff to protect the parts from rusting until I get them blasted and painted professionally.

Chopped by an inch-ish

At some point someone welded a big slab of angle iron

It does burnouts ...... kinda

Paint

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1955 F350 Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.