1955 F350 Build - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F350 Build

Old 07-10-2018, 05:05 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Hotrod350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Got these back from the machine shop.

Hopefully not like Humpty Dumpty.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:59 AM
Fomoko1
Fomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputation
What did the machine shop charge? I`ve taken out studs like that on newer smaller vehicles with a big hammer, being that old and big they could be a real challenge.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:40 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fomoko1 View Post
What did the machine shop charge? I`ve taken out studs like that on newer smaller vehicles with a big hammer, being that old and big they could be a real challenge.
I paid 20$ + tax. Less than 15 minutes at their 100$/hr shop charge

Old 07-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Fomoko1
Fomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputationFomoko1 has a superb reputation
Excellent deal, certainly not worth getting any skinned, brushed knuckles over.
I just noticed a leaking rear wheel seal on my 56 F350.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Decided to switch gears today. I haven't started the engine in a while so I hooked up a battery, dropped in a DOT approved gas tank and fired her up. Ran her for about 5-10 minutes, gave me time to do a few checks. Had a temp gun so got to check the exhaust/head temp. Rear end was in the air so I got a chance to exercise the drive-train. Got to play with the choke a little. The manifold was smoking a little but since this is the first time I have let her get hot I am guessing it is all of the dirt/oil/fluids burning off. Everything was good until I saw an oil spill worse than the Valdez. Looks like the oil is coming out somewhere around the distributor from the lifter valley. Probably need to tighten the bolts or check and make sure the gasket is in place. All and all very little done but a great day.

(BTW the heat can just **** off right about now )

Valdez all over again.

See the DOT approved gas tank?

Dripping like its going out of style

Old 07-13-2018, 11:39 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Bah, slow hot day ...... Gotta get the dash ready for my first drive.

Ready for paint

Old 07-14-2018, 01:40 AM
Fomoko1
That first drive is always exciting, hope all goes well Kevin.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:48 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Interesting. I've never seen the instrument face painted before now. Let us know how it turns out.does the black need painted?

Old 07-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
That first drive is always exciting, hope all goes well Kevin.
Thanks! I can wait.

Originally Posted by abe View Post
Interesting. I've never seen the instrument face painted before now. Let us know how it turns out.does the black need painted?
Unless the tape lifts some paint the black is good.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:30 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
It has been a busy weekend. I got some paint done, I also remounted the studs in my wheels and got one mounted.

For the '55 F350 there is a washer that has five tabs that get bent to lock the wheel nuts into place. Does anyone know where one can get another one of those? Also how are you supposed to bend the tabs on that washer?

I am going to be reassembling my dash soon but I missed something on the disassembly. The gasket for the dash, does that go in between the bezel and glass or glass and dash pan?

Fresh paint, can't wait to pull off the tape.

Rust reformer primer coat. Going to apply some argent silver.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:32 AM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
It goes between the bezel and the glass. I'm glad the black is only the primer!

Old 07-16-2018, 09:01 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Abe, you should see it with the new paint I don't have any pictures bit I will tonight.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:29 PM
Hotrod350
Senior User
This bezel looks great!!!! I have include a picture below.

Excellent deal, certainly not worth getting any skinned, brushed knuckles over.
I just noticed a leaking rear wheel seal on my 56 F350.
That sucks! The seals I took off my rear wheels were Victor 49182. The ones I put on were Timken 455009. The Timken seals installed great and slipped perfectly onto the spindle.

Today the last wheel was installed! ... That sounds more epic in my head ...

After dinner (slow cooked beef brisket yum) I tackled my dash. Unfortunately my repaint of the dash pan didn't go well. When I masked the pan I got a bit lazy. The tape didn't have a crisp edge so when I peeled the tape the edge "crumbled" and tore some of the paint. I am going to have to do it again. Also, I tried to shove a large LED into the bright light indicator and broke the jewel in that spot, so I am going to have to fix that Two steps forward, one step back.

MMMMM Raspberry jam

Repainted bezel

Lovely gauges. Hope the new voltage gauge doesn't clash to badly with the old gauges.

*cry*

Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 AM
abe
Post Fiend
sorry about the paint.

Be careful putting the whole instrument panel back in place. Put some painters tape lightly over the bezel. I didn't and it got chipped when I put it in the hole.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:10 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
sorry about the paint.

Be careful putting the whole instrument panel back in place. Put some painters tape lightly over the bezel. I didn't and it got chipped when I put it in the hole.
Thanks abe. I haven't given up on the paint yet, I am going to retry and spend more time doing a better job at the masking. Also great idea on the tape for the bezel, it is a tight squeeze getting that thing in and out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1955 F350 Build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.