Any Practical Way To Measure Out 13 Quarts Of Oil? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Any Practical Way To Measure Out 13 Quarts Of Oil?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Practical Way To Measure Out 13 Quarts Of Oil?

Old 04-30-2018, 09:10 AM
farmert
Postmaster
farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.farmert has a very good reputation on FTE.
If you go to your nearest farm and fleet store, they should have various sizes of metal spout cans. I have a 1qt., 1gal., and a 2gal. size. I get my oil in 55 gal. drums, and have an oil storage compartment rack that one compartment holds 120 gal. and the other holds 60.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:09 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
I just take 12 quarts to the dealer because I'm not sure if they know how to measure 13 quarts. I add 1/4 of the last bottle when I get home.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:33 AM
GT4point6
Senior User
GT4point6 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Use an EZ Drain oil valve and a short section of tubing. Then drain right back into empty gallon jugs. Not a drip on the floor with this method.
Until you take the filter off.
I've tried punching a hole in it, made a mess.
Tried just unscrewing it, made a mess.
The oil drain plug (stock) works fine for draining, the quart or so of oil in the system above the filter is where I get the mess from...

Now back to our regularly scheduled post...

Old 05-01-2018, 08:49 AM
Karl4Cat
Post Fiend
Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by GT4point6 View Post
The oil drain plug (stock) works fine for draining, the quart or so of oil in the system above the filter is where I get the mess from...

I pierce my filter with a long punch over a small pan. (There are a couple layers you need to pierce which is why I say "long" punch.) It drains completely over about 5 minutes. Then I thread it off cleanly. Zero mess.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:54 PM
HRTKD
Postmaster
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by GT4point6 View Post

Cut the bottom off of an empty gallon milk jug. Keep the lid on. Hold the milk jug under the filter while you spin it off. It will drop into the jug and the jug will catch any extra oil. I still punch a hole in the filter to drain most of it. Then I spin it off after it stops dripping.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 AM
razehm
Senior User
razehm is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK guys. The original question was how to measure out 13 quarts. So when I asked how those who do their own oil changes it wasn't about anything other than finding a way to measure out 13 quarts. Because if the container will hold all of the old oil it would hold the new oil, but can you measure it? Is it transparent so you could see how much oil was in it?

Old 05-02-2018, 08:41 AM
jav_eee
Senior User
jav_eee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jav_eee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by razehm
OK guys. The original question was how to measure out 13 quarts. So when I asked how those who do their own oil changes it wasn't about anything other than finding a way to measure out 13 quarts. Because if the container will hold all of the old oil it would hold the new oil, but can you measure it? Is it transparent so you could see how much oil was in it?
Like I said: Walmart sells a painter cup for less than a dollar. It's transparent and has lots of different markings on it, a quart being one of them. Use it.

Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2018, 09:18 AM
HRTKD
Postmaster
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
As I recall, my gallon jug of Valvoline PBE has a gauge on the side. I eyeballed it, checked the dipstick, ran the engine, checked the dipstick again then added a bit more. Not very exact but it got my oil to just below the full level of the dipstick.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:48 PM
superrangerman2002
Postmaster
superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.superrangerman2002 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by cangim View Post
I use a 5 gal bucket, slap lid on it and then over to local autoparts for recycle
^^^^this^^^^

You can use your 5 gallon oil pail for this...after you empty it of course.

I prefer to use a 2.5 gallon jug of oil and a 1 gallon. I use the extra qt in a lawn mower or something or for topping off.

this way I donít have to find a way to dispose of the pail either.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:48 PM
sxrfun
Senior User
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Grab an old windshield washer jug........Now take your 13 quarts and divide by 4....so 3.25 quarts. Now go to kitchen and grab wifes favorite measuring cup......measure out 3.25 quarts of water and put into washer fluid jug......Mark a line where water level ends up at. Drain water and let washer fluid jug dry........now when changing your oil.....use a funnel and pour oil from large 5 gallon container...into wind shield washer jug up to the previously marked line..pout into truck and repeat 4 times...voila an evenly/easily measured 13 quarts.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Big Guys Ford
New User
Big Guys Ford is starting off with a positive reputation.
13 Quart Measurement - easy

Just measure 3.25 gallons ... used a converter I found on Google.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 AM
Deuce40s
Elder User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
As I recall, my gallon jug of Valvoline PBE has a gauge on the side. I eyeballed it, checked the dipstick, ran the engine, checked the dipstick again then added a bit more. Not very exact but it got my oil to just below the full level of the dipstick.
This is the only correct way to do it and it has worked for decades. No need to redraw the wheel.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:08 PM
GregWork
Junior User
GregWork is starting off with a positive reputation.
My oil comes in gallons, and I use a pint of oil additive. So I just put in 3 gal, 1 pint of additive, and refill the additive jug with fresh oil and pour that in = 13 qts. If you don't use additive get the paint 'mix n measure' mentioned above. They come in quart through 5 gal sizes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: