2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Is ESP sort of smoke and mirrors ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:03 AM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyct

in the past I bought Ford ESP from Ford of Greenfield aka FD-Warranty.com. I also bought a Toyota and Lexus factory ESP from them. Things changed more than 2 years ago and you cannot get a Ford ESP or Toyota factory ESP with a Florida address from an out of state dealer. This is a Florida thing. Florida passed a law requiring all extended warranties MUST be sold at MSRP. The original reason for this was to prevent price gouging and prevent dealers from selling warranties above list price,

Now I’ve been told if you have an address in MA you can buy a Ford ESP and they will send. The agreement to that address. That agreement is good anywhere in the US.
intereting. Last night I got a quote from them that has my Florida address listed on it. I have also checked a few other sites on-line for ford esp warranties. They have no issue selling one to me. Like I said, it like saying you can only by parts from a Florida dealer if you live in Florida.

If I get denied, I just use my Colorado address. Unless someone is going to tell me I can’t do that either.

Also would you mind giving me a reference to this “law”. State statute number or a web link would be fine.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:59 AM
Douggie45
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wildcard30

intereting. Last night I got a quote from them that has my Florida address listed on it. I have also checked a few other sites on-line for ford esp warranties. They have no issue selling one to me. Like I said, it like saying you can only by parts from a Florida dealer if you live in Florida.

If I get denied, I just use my Colorado address. Unless someone is going to tell me I can’t do that either.

Also would you mind giving me a reference to this “law”. State statute number or a web link would be fine.
Also went around with my dealer about this issue. I received a quote from said dealer and found the price over 2 grand less then what I paid when I took delivery on a 8 year 125 premium care. My dealer states he can't sell it and it would be ripped up if he did. Very confusing I certainly would be interested in knowing what the cost is vs what I paid.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:53 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
I think this thread has gotten off track. So, here’s my input to the OP. They are worth it. The 3/36 covers everything. The 5/60 covers the drive train. The ESP PremiumCare cover everything the others don’t once they expire depending on the years/miles selected.

For it a lot of folks, like me, it’s worth it. Just having one electronic item,like the NAV, fail after the 3/36 and it will pay for itself. Beside, if you have a longer length loan as so many do now a days, you will be covered.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:15 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
For it a lot of folks, like me, it’s worth it. Just having one electronic item,like the NAV, fail after the 3/36 and it will pay for itself. Beside, if you have a longer length loan as so many do now a days, you will be covered.
Nobody claims they aren't "worth it"; pay attention here though this is important - there is no benefit to purchasing a service plan on a truck (or anything else for that matter) that is covered under a factory warranty. If you try to tell me "it's cheaper" to buy that way, you're not paying attention.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:26 PM
wildcard30
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tedster9
Nobody claims they aren't "worth it"; pay attention here though this is important - there is no benefit to purchasing a service plan on a truck (or anything else for that matter) that is covered under a factory warranty. If you try to tell me "it's cheaper" to buy that way, you're not paying attention.
A little obtuse aren’t we?? Maybe you need to do the same. I’m not trying to tell you anything. So pay more attention instead of looking for an arguement.

You spend your money your way. And I will do the same.

I’m oh so glad you stopped by to give us your input. Because my day was just not complete without you as a ray of sunshine.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
A little obtuse aren’t we?? Maybe you need to do the same. I’m not trying to tell you anything. So pay more attention instead of looking for an arguement.

You spend your money your way. And I will do the same.

I’m oh so glad you stopped by to give us your input. Because my day was just not complete without you as a ray of sunshine.
LOL!!

You claimed "we're getting off track" not me. Of course you're free to spend your money the way you want, my only concern is that others reading this don't make the same mistake.

I'm not looking for an argument, just some clarification on why anybody thinks this is a good idea (other than the folks selling them.)

You're welcome, by the way.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Boilermaker374
More Turbo
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
there is no benefit to purchasing a service plan on a truck (or anything else for that matter) that is covered under a factory warranty.
Not totally correct, if your dealer dosen't offer a loaner for lengthy repairs an ESP with that option will cover that, dealers aren't obligated to provide a loaner but some do as a courtesy. Go to the 6.7 forum and check out thread titled (Blown Motor) the OP has been without his truck for weeks and needed parts are back ordered out month's, dealer provided a loaner for a while but then pulled it, truck is still under factory warranty I'll bet he wishes he had the ESP with the rental option, I know I would.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:32 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Since a new Truck is already covered under the factory warranty what benefit is it to the "consumer" to purchase an extended service contract while the item is already warrantied by the manufacturer anyway?
There are several advantages still. First as the OP quested from the start, the warranty is time and miles. So if you get a 7 year 100k warranty when new or when it's 3 years 45k miles, it will still cover the 7/100 period. This is where a 3rd party can be a benefit because it may cover things a Ford one won't (as I've personally seen happen once in a while). But lets stick to ESP. If you buy it when new you have the option to finance. While many people can write a check for the warranty amount, there are many more who can't or at least would rather not, so the option to finance is a nice advantage. You wouldn't want to put that on a credit card either if you plan to carry the balance for awhile with many rates I see folks have. Additionally, there is no inspection required when new. Of course if you get it done while still under factory warranty you should be good, just don't forget about it! As for the $100 difference, that's about right, but also keep in mind that's at today's price. The cost does go up a little each year, not much but more. Someone commented on the cost of fuel to drive home from a good deal, and I'm sure all of you have asked for another $100 off before buying a truck at one time or another, so don't pretend it's not good money.

Also, as a few others have said, there are a few perks, especially for those that travel far, that ESP covers not included with the factory warranty.

Simply put, there are a few advantages, and really no disadvantages, so if you're planning on doing it anyway, I don't see why you wouldn't want to when new. I'm not saying you should pay thousands over cost on it, but don't pass it off at new like a waste of time and money if you value the peace of mind it provides.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:03 PM
vitacura
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
A quick google search brings you the answers you seek.

Here you go.

In FL extended warranties are considered Insurance and can only be sold by FL licensed brokers. With regards to pricing take a look at section 634.1815 which states that the profit made is commission and if the seller offers a discount, or rebate, to one customer, they must offer it to everyone. Therefore they must offer one price to all as otherwise it would be considered price fixing.

The law really applies to the seller of such insurance products (eg. ESP), so as a buyer you can use an out of state address and have no issues if you so desire, any dealer in FL will honor your warranty regardless of where it was purchased.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:32 PM
mwillmont
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are in Fl. try Zeigler Ford for your ESP. They have Fl dealerships and are Fl licensed brokers. Check their website, it gives you all the info. I got mine from them in about 10 minutes.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:06 AM
caly350
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To recap on what's been said with a few corrections/options:

The perks of buying the ESP initially are rental car coverage, which is not available on the standard warranty and....

You save the $100 surcharge if purchased before 12/12.

After 12/12 and before 3/36 You can still buy the new car ESP and a 10/12 payment plan is available where they bill your CC monthly ...So in theory, if you pay your card every month, it's 0%.

The reason I wait until the last minute is it allows me to decide if I'm keeping the vehicle.

Yes there is a refund if cancelled, but it's basically a % on the unused portion.

As an example, if you buy a 6/100 for $1000 and cancel at 3/50, you'd get 90% of the unused portion which would be $450.

Pros and Cons, but I wait until the last possible moment and spread the payments on a card that's usually 0% anyway.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:10 AM
KCJackson1
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
As a few have pointed out, the benefit of a service contract on a modern vehicle is not so much the powertrain (although if you need a new tranny, let alone a long block, you'd be feeling pretty good about having that extra coverage) - it's the increasing amount of complex electronics. A Body Control Module partial failure can take out so many things at once, you wouldn't know where to start - even your wipers could be useless. There are also the "unitized" assemblies that can't have parts/components replaced... something happens to your side mirrors? Replace the entire thing, not just the $15 part that failed, even though you know what the part is and where it would go. For me, it's a necessary purchase.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:57 AM
RobRoy7768
Junior User
I think with all the tech on these trucks it's a must especially on the higher trim levels. I got 7/125k w/$100 ded for $2750. It won't take much to get that back. Also the warranty is transferable and will add value if you sell or trade early.

My thinking was like most here who have said they wait. This truck is my first new truck and I never really considered coverage in the past. There is no point in waiting. Even if you decide to get rid of the truck in a yr or 2 you will still have advantages however small with no disadvantage. I've had a rental for a total of 8 days since owning the truck. This was for small things like a few recalls and minor electrical items being replaced. That's $2-400 right there. Only regret is not getting the 0 ded.

Also Ford has insurance on there esp which is why they can offer more affordable pricing

Old 04-28-2018, 06:35 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Flyct

in the past I bought Ford ESP from Ford of Greenfield aka FD-Warranty.com. I also bought a Toyota and Lexus factory ESP from them. Things changed more than 2 years ago and you cannot get a Ford ESP with a Florida address from an out of state dealer. This is a Florida thing. Florida passed a law requiring all extended warranties MUST be sold at MSRP. The original reason for this was to prevent price gouging and prevent dealers from selling warranties above list price,

Now I’ve been told if you have an address in MA you can buy a Ford ESP and they will send. The agreement to that address. That agreement is good anywhere in the US.
yes you can. LOMBARD Ford is licensed in FL but is in a different state. All you have to do is have a license to sell it in FL. They still have to sell it at MSRP but you save on the sales tax.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:45 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Boilermaker374
Not totally correct, if your dealer dosen't offer a loaner for lengthy repairs an ESP with that option will cover that, dealers aren't obligated to provide a loaner but some do as a courtesy. Go to the 6.7 forum and check out thread titled (Blown Motor) the OP has been without his truck for weeks and needed parts are back ordered out month's, dealer provided a loaner for a while but then pulled it, truck is still under factory warranty I'll bet he wishes he had the ESP with the rental option, I know I would.
ESP only covers for 10 days.

Also for anyone interested, ESP prices change every Feb 1st. They could go up, they could go down but that is the annual date Ford changes them.

Quick Reply: Is ESP sort of smoke and mirrors ?