2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Do I have any room for negotiation on this truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 06:18 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I have any room for negotiation on this truck?

A local dealership has a truck that is almost exactly what I am looking for. It's an hour away so I haven't been there and they don't have pictures yet, but it's a 2016 XLT Sport 5.0 with: 301A, Sync3, FX4, remote start, 20" wheels, and a spray in bedliner. Basically everything I want, and it has just under 20K on it. They are asking $31,800 for it, which seems like a good price already but I'm not well versed in the vehicle price negotiation process. Should I try to get anymore off, and/or if I ask them to do $32K OTD will I be leaving something on the table?

Old 04-24-2018, 07:37 AM
jr105
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
$32k seems a bit high to me, but I know that they ask ridiculous money for used F150s. When I bought my '15 I shopped 2yr old trucks first and found I could buy a new one for just a couple of thousand more than what they were asking for used. I would still try to talk them down some if you want that truck.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:43 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by ghunt
A local dealership has a truck that is almost exactly what I am looking for. It's an hour away so I haven't been there and they don't have pictures yet, but it's a 2016 XLT Sport 5.0 with: 301A, Sync3, FX4, remote start, 20" wheels, and a spray in bedliner. Basically everything I want, and it has just under 20K on it. They are asking $31,800 for it, which seems like a good price already but I'm not well versed in the vehicle price negotiation process. Should I try to get anymore off, and/or if I ask them to do $32K OTD will I be leaving something on the table?
You should go online and research places like KBB or Edmunds and even CarMax to view used vehicles that are of the same year and have the same options/features that you listed above and that`ll give you a good idea of what a vehicle like this would or should sell for from dealers and the private market.

You`re going to get multiple answers from many people and that`s only going to make thing more confusing for you when you are seeking advice on if this used F150 is a good price.

You also have to remember that trucks are very, very popular right now so when it comes to used F150`s, there`s not going to be much negotiating which is why the price of used and current generation F150`s are not far from the price of a new F150.

Have a great day.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:44 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would think that would be a good question asked of the dealership.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:52 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jr105
$32k seems a bit high to me, but I know that they ask ridiculous money for used F150s. When I bought my '15 I shopped 2yr old trucks first and found I could buy a new one for just a couple of thousand more than what they were asking for used. I would still try to talk them down some if you want that truck.
So I'm curious, why do you think that's high? They have the factory window sticker posted and this is a $47K truck. With only 20K on it, to me that's practically new. Also this one is a super cab and the pickings on them are fairly slim in this area (everything is a freaking crew cab)

Also I've looked at probably a couple dozen '15-16 F150's online and I've seen worse deals than this one for sure. Most of the other nearby dealerships would probably have this truck priced at $35K or more.

Edit: Just looked at KBB. Their "Fair purchase price" (whatever that is) is listed as $31,900. Market range is $29,300 to $34,500. I dunno, I don't really know where to start with negotiation on something like that, like if I could get a thousand off that would be great but not sure if they will go for it or not.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:22 AM
jcbingcougar
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes, trying to squeeze the last the last penny out of a deal isn't worth the time or stress you'll encounter. If the price sounds fair to you, and it looks like it is within the market range, make them an offer and see if they bite. If not, and you like the truck, just pay their price and enjoy your new pick-up.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:44 AM
jeffwoodall
Senior User
If the dealership has a sticker price of 32K on it, then they gave much less on a trade in I would bet. The markup on used vehicles is insane. I know they have to make money and I don't necessarily have a problem with it. I have a 2016 with 10K miles on it, and I think it is valued at trade in at $28K, but of course many variables can change that number depending on the vehicle. Bottom line is if they are asking $32K, they will take less. I would google 2016 f150s for sale and you should be able to pull up autotrader and put in a mile radius from your zip code, you. This will at least give you an idea what they are asking for trucks that may be close to what you are looking at. Sometimes it is comparing apples to oranges, so it just depends. They surely don't have 32K in the vehicle. My payoff on my truck is 25K so that may give you an idea. If they took it in on a trade in, they had to pay it off of course. They will take less for sure. In the end, it should be certified pre-owned, so you will get a good warranty in the price. If it was everything I wanted and nothing to talk them down about (things wrong with it, etc.) I would offer $29,500 and they would probably settle on $30K. Heck I may even go down to 28,500. I have seen them pay 26K for a trade in, and turn around and put 33K on the windshield and there was practically no prep work to do on the truck.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:47 AM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Purchase

Do you have a Trade in that could Weigh in on the Price,I would offer them 29k on a clean deal.
If you have a trade they can give you a better price for your Vehicle and not take off as much on your
Purchase,Its hard to tell,I would say 30k Is your Bottom Dollar!!

Old 04-24-2018, 10:56 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
I am selling my ranger but wasn't planning on trading it in as I don't think I would get enough out of it on trade. Just wanted to sell it for extra money toward the down payment.

I have to go out of town on business for the rest of the week but right now I'm planning to drive down and take a look at it Saturday.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:24 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
$32k isn't a great deal.

This $47k truck could have been bought new for $39k.

I'd push it down to $29k or maybe $31k with everything (taxes, fees, etc.)

Old 04-24-2018, 12:35 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
I definitely want to get an OTD price. I'll just have to work on them.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
I'd still want to know the base price of the vehicle since taxes aren't negotiable and so aren't DMV fees.

If you're telling them that's how much you want to pay altogether, they can give you a bad price.

I know how much taxes are and I know fees shouldn't exceed a certain amount so I want to bargain on the base price and pay the fees myself.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:42 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One Quick note when Negotiating the price, Tell them that you want a Extended Service Plan on your new Truck.
Use that with your price most dealers throw that in to sweeten the Deal.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:10 PM
Lebowskii
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Tell them you'll give them $29,500 OTD and that another dealer two hours away has the same one in a color that you prefer for about the same price. Tell them that you're not crazy about the color of theirs but you can live with it for $29,500 OTD. If they say no then get up and walk away unless they come down to a figure you can live with like $30k OTD. I've done that several times and at least twice the salesman chased me down in the parking lot and said they would accept my offer. Don't tell them that it's exactly what you're looking for because then they know you'll pay their price. I just bought a new Honda for my wife last month and spent 20 minutes negotiating back and forth with the sales manager until he came down to a price I was comfortable with. Good luck....

Old 04-25-2018, 01:02 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
It's not a terrible deal, but it's nothing to write home about. Try to get them down. Sometimes they can't budge as much as you want. Once you find their limit on price, you can start haggling other things. Have them throw in window tint, top off the gas tank (it's rarely full), free maintenance for a year, all weather floor mats, etc... These are all things they can easily throw in that are easier for them to eat than a drop in price.

Quick Reply: Do I have any room for negotiation on this truck?