Tilt bed trailer decision- thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 06:54 PM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tilt bed trailer decision- thoughts?

First and foremost I have a trailer fetish. I have a half dozen trailers from a small adventure trailer for my jeep up to a 13 ton duel tandem flatbed goose neck. BUT, there is a gap in my fleet.

I'm looking at a bumper pull tilt bed ~22' range. I'm closing in on a PJ T8 but am still contemplating. My biggest question is should I get a deckover or a drive over wheel well?

Deckover = more clearance, less hitch height sensitivity, and higher center of gravity for the load.
Drive over wheel well = dragging a lowboy but a lower center of gravity.

I used to say I would never own a larger bumper pull trailer but for some reason I am excited about the newer super duty's bumper pull rating, plus they are cheaper than a goose neck. I'm getting this trailer for vehicle hauling/recovery and for the lighter loads. Such as, I'm about to buy a piece of yard art (an antique horse drawn wagon) and I really hate to drag my heavy 13 ton trailer 4-5 hours just for that. So, a 14K bumper pull will fill in a gap of my "needs".

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-26-2018, 09:08 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends on what you're doing. However, drive over fenders are nice. I am all for lower center of gravity. Deck overs are nice if you are hauling lumber or other bulk(ish) items. Lower deck height and shallower angles on the ramps is another positive of a drive over.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:20 PM
Kreep
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are going to do with it. I mean a fetish is fine, but if you are just going to pull it around empty... get the red one!

I was recently shopping for a new trailer to haul my Jeep. It weighs about 5,600 lbs and is 82.5" sidewall to sidewall. I'd been pulling it on a two place deckover and wanted something shorter, lower, and easier on fuel. I looked at the tilt beds and was shocked how much capacity that feature costs. Plus they were significantly narrower between the fenderss so I would have had to go deck over. Dealer talked me out of a lowboy with drive over fenders because of how high they end up being, you can't really drive over them. But with 83" between fenders I don't drive over them, I just need the beef as I slide between them. Wish I had held out for a lowboy with drive over fenders...

Old 05-06-2018, 02:00 AM
toymaster
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Kreep
....Dealer talked me out of a lowboy with drive over fenders because of how high they end up being, ..... Wish I had held out for a lowboy with drive over fenders
I noticed not all drive-over-fenders are the same. There appear to be different heights available. Also, I assume your jeep is not stock and could crawl up any size fenders I have an '08 JK myself with a dollar or two in it, running 37's on it.

After much thought, I'm pretty much decided on a deck over as I will haul other items on it and I have forks for my tractor front end loader. The hitch height lines up better with the super duty and I'm used to dealing with a higher center of gravity anyway.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Kreep
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, Jeep could climb pretty much any fenders. It's a 1982 CJ-7 with 43's, here's the build log: Basically Stock CJ-7

Old 05-08-2018, 10:13 AM
NO_SPRK
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive never been a big fan of tilt decks. work great for equipment and stuff that runs or has no low bumper. as someone whos hauled over 300 cars on a crappy carson 16x7 w/ factory 4ft dovetail i love ramps on trailers. lets you do lots of different things. also the winch wont rip off the front bumper when pulling up. also less parts, lighter and less to break.

longer ramps help. i dont like steel decks out here in cali. wood keeps you from burning up.