Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Start of 54' build.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
Sickler1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Start of 54' build.

So I picked this 54 f100 up bout 2 months ago.i have it pretty well torn down and sanded down to bare metal.started doing some metal work on it.have a bunch of new parts waiting around to be installed.got a complete suspension kit (mustang 2 front suspension,power steering,disc brakes,rear leaf spring kit with all new brackets/shocks)from cpp.all new fenders,tailgate,roll pan,complete weather stripping.all new nuts and bolts for hole truck.ill keep posting updates as I go.

Start of taking it apart

Old 04-23-2018, 08:35 PM
pineconeford
Posting Guru
pineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant futurepineconeford has a brilliant future
Hey that looks like a fairly solid truck to begin on, and you have a solid plan underway to make it even better.
Thanks for posting the pictures and have fun. I'd like to see it as it progresses along. Tom

Old 04-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by pineconeford View Post
Hey that looks like a fairly solid truck to begin on, and you have a solid plan underway to make it even better.
Thanks for posting the pictures and have fun. I'd like to see it as it progresses along. Tom
was a solid truck.just bottoms of fenders had some rot and driverside cowl panel had rot.everything else is in great shape.will post progress pictures.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:41 PM
rannaska
Senior User
rannaska is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.rannaska is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
its a nice start, looks like you have everything to get a fair distance into the build.
I've been almost 5 years on my 54. It has been an enjoyable build for me, hope it goes well for you.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:47 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by rannaska View Post
its a nice start, looks like you have everything to get a fair distance into the build.
I've been almost 5 years on my 54. It has been an enjoyable build for me, hope it goes well for you.
Yes I do have a lot of parts to install.iam hoping to get this done within a year.so far it's been a great time redoing it.love it

Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 AM
jakevidrine
Senior User
jakevidrine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jakevidrine is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Looks good so far, I wish I had made that much progress in 2 months. Keep posting pics and updates, Iím just about finished my 54í but Iím following along for ideas for my next build.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Sickler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by jakevidrine View Post
Looks good so far, I wish I had made that much progress in 2 months. Keep posting pics and updates, Iím just about finished my 54í but Iím following along for ideas for my next build.
wifey doesnt like all the time I've put into it so far but it will b worth it.i just ordered a bunch of more parts(rear mount gas tank,explorer rearend,wiring harnest,gauge cluster,steering column,).will post when they come in.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:32 PM
Kecky
Senior User
Kecky is starting off with a positive reputation.
You have a lot of great parts to install. I have just finished the rear mount Mustang tank and also have done the Explorer rear end. I noticed you also have a rear roll pan. I encourage you to move the cross member that's in the way of the rear mount tank back to the end of the frame for some structural support as other members have done so. You may already have that in the plan. There was a truck in my area that was rear ended and only had a rear roll pan no bumper. It didn't look like there was a rear cross member and unfortunately the tank was ruptured and the truck burned to the ground a total loss. It made the evening news. Not to say that cross member would have prevented that but the extra structure/strength certainly couldn't hurt.

Keep us posted on your progress. I wish i was able to get that much done in one year. It has been much longer than that for me.

Kevin

Old 04-24-2018, 01:42 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Kecky View Post
You have a lot of great parts to install. I have just finished the rear mount Mustang tank and also have done the Explorer rear end. I noticed you also have a rear roll pan. I encourage you to move the cross member that's in the way of the rear mount tank back to the end of the frame for some structural support as other members have done so. You may already have that in the plan. There was a truck in my area that was rear ended and only had a rear roll pan no bumper. It didn't look like there was a rear cross member and unfortunately the tank was ruptured and the truck burned to the ground a total loss. It made the evening news. Not to say that cross member would have prevented that but the extra structure/strength certainly couldn't hurt.

Keep us posted on your progress. I wish i was able to get that much done in one year. It has been much longer than that for me.

Kevin

I did notice people were moving that rear crossmember to the back of the frame.any extra support or safety I can get I will do.do u have any pictures of your tank setup? R u using external pump?

Old 04-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Kecky
Senior User
I ended up making a frame and mounting tabs similar to John here on the forum as mounting the tank inside the frame rails makes it quite close to the bedwood and also the filler neck has to be moved. I haven't figured out the filler neck yet but will probably go through the bedwood. I have a carb on my 351W so will not have a pump in the tank. A ways away from that right now.

Here are two pics.

My cross member is relocated to the back. I can get you a better pic if you want. It is flipped over.
Kevin

Old 04-24-2018, 04:00 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
I ended up making a frame and mounting tabs similar to John here on the forum as mounting the tank inside the frame rails makes it quite close to the bedwood and also the filler neck has to be moved. I haven't figured out the filler neck yet but will probably go through the bedwood. I have a carb on my 351W so will not have a pump in the tank. A ways away from that right now.

Here are two pics.

My cross member is relocated to the back. I can get you a better pic if you want. It is flipped over.
Kevin
I'll have to look that thread up that john made.ill deff be doing that rear crossmember move.i think ur picture sums up how to do it.also see u went with the stainless tank? Now as far as I can c the sending unit mounts to the backside bottom of the tank?I'll b running a carbed motor n will run an external fuel pump.iam not going for a show or original truck so the tanks filler through the bed it is for me!

Old 04-24-2018, 06:19 PM
Kecky
Senior User
The John is John Niolon and he has a website with lot’s of great info. His website is here https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/ I don’t think he will mind me linking it. He’s pretty active on here i’m sure you’ve seen his threads.

The sending unit and supply is on the front of the tank opposite the rear axle. I ended up with the stainless tank because a very nice friend has a Mustang and ordered “2” when he was replacing his and didn’t charge me for it. I had planned on just going with the regular steel tank but the stainless does look nice.

Sorry for derailing your thread but lot’s of great suggestions on this site so I am trying to help when I can.

Kevin

Old 04-24-2018, 08:24 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
The John is John Niolon and he has a website with lotís of great info. His website is here https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/ I donít think he will mind me linking it. Heís pretty active on here iím sure youíve seen his threads.

The sending unit and supply is on the front of the tank opposite the rear axle. I ended up with the stainless tank because a very nice friend has a Mustang and ordered ď2Ē when he was replacing his and didnít charge me for it. I had planned on just going with the regular steel tank but the stainless does look nice.

Sorry for derailing your thread but lotís of great suggestions on this site so I am trying to help when I can.

Kevin
your not derailing it.good info !nice friend to give u that tank!looks nice n shiny

Old 04-25-2018, 12:32 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Aloha-boy has a good reputation on FTE.Aloha-boy has a good reputation on FTE.
Excellent truck to start with! You work fast!

Old 04-25-2018, 10:05 PM
Sickler1
Senior User
Originally Posted by Aloha-boy View Post
Excellent truck to start with! You work fast!
yes clean truck.has some rust but no biggie.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Start of 54' build.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.