5th remote entry door lock in-op

Old 09-12-2018, 05:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
I have not tried to duplicate the keys. I usually have the spare set in the truck and then we use one set.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:03 AM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
I have not tried to duplicate the keys. I usually have the spare set in the truck and then we use one set.
X2^^. We have a key on each of the vehicle key rings (don't even carry the remotes any more because of bulk). We use the keypad to get in and don't lock the exterior handle lock (top lock). We have four keys since we received two more when they sent us the replacement tumbler for the top lock - but we hardly ever use the keys. We just carry them in case the batteries die.

Rob

Old 09-12-2018, 07:23 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,426 Likes on 2,834 Posts
I had 2 spares made up at a local key/lock shop that can do anything when it comes to keys and locks. I had the keys made because they don't have the bulky plastic coating on them and fit better into hide-a-key magnetic boxes.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:54 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,613 Likes on 2,725 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I installed lithium batteries to try and lengthen the life span of the batteries.
How long did regular alkaline batteries last? I still have the OEM batteries in there and they're working fine. I may just stick with the inexpensive alkaline batteries because I have plenty of those.

Originally Posted by Sous
I had 2 spares made up at a local key/lock shop that can do anything when it comes to keys and locks. I had the keys made because they don't have the bulky plastic coating on them and fit better into hide-a-key magnetic boxes.
I still need to get my key duplicated. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Because I bought directly from RVLock they gave two sets of everything since I am a Veteran.

I have not changed my batteries out either.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:27 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
The keypad membrane on mine deteriorated. They sell new membranes for about $12 + shipping. I ordered two, plus the keypad mechanism since it was cheap. I have to enter the numbers slowly or it won't work. I'm still running the original batteries, so maybe it's time for a battery change. Otherwise, the lock works great.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
good to know about the membrane. Mine is showing so wear but otherwise ok.

I have had to replace the batteries in both remotes.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:57 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I just started using the remote. Given the lousy quality of the number plate membrane, I'll be using the remote a lot more. They did sell me the improved silicone pad that goes under the membrane. Replacement of that requires removing the lock from the door.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:59 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
New parts installed. I asked their tech support if the membrane had been improved and they said, "No, but the silicone backing pad has." The backing pad should be ordered if you get a new membrane. It's less expensive than the membrane. I did buy the silicone pad.

The install was straightforward except for the five screws on the back that hold the keypad board in. It looked like they had Loctite red on the screws and they were a booger to get out. I stripped the heads on two of them. Use the right size screwdriver and bear down on them HARD. If you're replacing only the membrane then there is no need to disassemble the lock, just peel off the old membrane and stick the new one on. The lock must be disassembled to replace the silicone pad.

While I had it apart, I replaced the four AA alkaline batteries with four AA Lithium batteries. The keypad is responding much better now. New alkaline batteries may have been sufficient.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:47 PM
senix
Super Moderator
thanks for the tips, mine will have to be replaced eventually but so far it is fine, does show the wear.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:53 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Preaching to the choir here, but RVLock has a 20% off sale going on now. Use the code "KeyFree20" a RVLock.com. It's good until the 19th.

RVLock V4.0

$239.99

Sale Price $192

[************]View Item [/color]

Old 08-29-2022, 11:21 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I had to replace the batteries in my RVLock today. Using the keypad or the fob, it would just make noise at me and not activate the lock. I brought the old batteries home and tested them. Two of them were pretty much at 100% (1.5 volts) and the other two were at no more than .6 volts. That's kind of strange.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:44 PM
MKrenn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 352 Likes on 241 Posts
Last night I was looking at it more.i think inside the door is a device that the remotes talk too. I think a battery one us the way to go.
.you like yours, what do you have?
Hey Scott, we have the battery one and it does work good. One thing here, the last battery one we had (came stock with our Jayco Pinnacle) gave us a VERY bad experience. I wish I remembered what that brand that was. The linkage inside the lock broke and we were stuck outside our new 5th wheel with NO way back in except to break back in! I ended up prying the door open from the bottom far enough where the lock came out of the door frame. The door is still not the same, but, we were able to get it to where we can still use it and luckily did not break and glass. We then bought the "RVLock" from Amazon and it has worked well and have changed the batteries once in the last year and a half. Hope this helps.

EDIT: On sale on Amazon as we speak. $165
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-30-2022, 05:55 PM
senix
Super Moderator
yeah I ended up with the RV Lock. Has been good and reliable.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:58 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
yeah I ended up with the RV Lock. Has been good and reliable.
I will tell you that the very first time it makes the alarm noise telling you that the battery is low, you better change it RIGHT NOW! I had to go in through the cargo door because I put off changing the battery. It still made lots of noise when I tried the keypad and fob, but it didn't unlock.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th remote entry door lock in-op