5th remote entry door lock in-op

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:42 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
The lower lock on my handle crapped out on me so this accelerated my purchase. I went with the real RV Lock V4.0 instead of the knockoff. Yes, it's $100 more, but if I have problems I'll get better support from RV Lock than the "other guys".
You have to do what is right for you in your situation, just like the rest of us.

My "knockoff" has been working great since I installed it. We have used it many, many times and we will not be without one now.

Hopefully I will not need support for a simple lock with a power actuator. I have a friend with the RV Lock version and we compared the internals and they were identical from what we could see. Perhaps the keypad side where someone cannot see the soft buttons is a bit different, but the levers and internal parts looked identical.

Enjoy the lock, it was right the right call.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Mine has been flawless. Now I had a remote entry in the beginning and we like it. But the RV lock or its comparables are even better. I got to where we just use the keypad and leave the keys behind. (do have a set in the truck if needed).

No hiccups with heavy use.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Scott, we do the same thing. We have a spare in the truck and one hidden on the trailer just in case. If you hold the lock button for 2-3 seconds you can lock the door without putting in the code.

It was a great and easy addition to our camper that makes things like going to the beach so much easier when leaving the keys and everything behind.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:09 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,656 Likes on 2,737 Posts
This will be ideal for when I have guys stay in my trailer for hunting. No keys, just a number. I left the trailer unlocked all last week while we hunted just so I didn't have to issue keys.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:50 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I installed my RV Lock v4.0 today. When I removed the old door lock assembly I realized why the deadbolt part of the lock wasn't working. A number of the internal screws were loose. Had I taken it apart before ordering the RV Lock I would have saved myself some money. Since I had the old one removed already I went ahead and installed the new one.

The install was fairly easy. I had to adjust the existing latch strike (the plate on the door frame) to work with the new handle. I think the new handle closes better than the old one.

My only complaint about the RV Lock is that it sure does like to make a lot of feedback sound. The next time at the trailer I'm going to try holding down the #1 key for 3 seconds. Supposedly that will turn off the sound.

The keypad/fob will only lock the deadbolt, correct?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:17 PM
senix
Super Moderator
just the deadbolt. You have use the key for the other lock, just like the conventional ones from the factory.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:26 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by senix
just the deadbolt. You have use the key for the other lock, just like the conventional ones from the factory.
Thanks, that's what I thought. Just wanted to be sure.

I'm going to stick with the batteries that came with it. I'll probably pull them out come December. It's nice that the lock will provide a warning sound if the batteries are low. I wonder if that warning will still be heard if I disable the lock sounds.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:00 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
The tumbler in the exterior handle lock jammed on our lock. I had to get out some tools and pry the tumbler out. When I called RVLocks for a replacement, they advised me not to use the keyed exterior handle lock - said it was just for the dealerships and the deadbolt provides the real security (if there is such a thing in an RV). We haven't used the key since.

Rob

Old 09-09-2018, 10:04 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Originally Posted by SecondChance
The tumbler in the exterior handle lock jammed on our lock. I had to get out some tools and pry the tumbler out. When I called RVLocks for a replacement, they advised me not to use the keyed exterior handle lock - said it was just for the dealerships and the deadbolt provides the real security (if there is such a thing in an RV). We haven't used the key since.

Rob
That's kind of funny since it was the keyed lock that still worked on my old lock and the deadbolt stopped working, fortunately, in the open position.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:05 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I use both in places like wally world, hog wash that it is not to be used at all. Using both in high threat areas is only prudent.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I removed the "lock confirmation" sound/beep via programming it with certain key pressing. Kind of like when programming your code in. Now, the lock just turns and that is it, no loud beeping.

I installed lithium batteries to try and lengthen the life span of the batteries.

I am like Scott. We use both locks in "high threat" areas, but most of the time it is just the deadbolt.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:41 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I went down to my trailer to do some work on it and realized I didn't have the keys. No big deal, I did have the key fob. Well, that worked great to unlock the deadbolt. But I had locked the upper one too. Fortunately, I had hidden a key to unlock the cargo ramp door and I got in that way.

From the inside, is there a way to unlock the top lock? I know I can just open the door handle to get out, but if I shut the door I can't get back in since the top lock is still locked.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I don't think there is any to unlock the upper lock without a key.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:43 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I went down to my trailer to do some work on it and realized I didn't have the keys. No big deal, I did have the key fob. Well, that worked great to unlock the deadbolt. But I had locked the upper one too. Fortunately, I had hidden a key to unlock the cargo ramp door and I got in that way.

From the inside, is there a way to unlock the top lock? I know I can just open the door handle to get out, but if I shut the door I can't get back in since the top lock is still locked.
Short answer: No.
Rob

Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Thanks guys. That's what I figured. Have you had any issues getting the OEM RV Lock v4.0 keys duplicated? That's on my list to do.

Quick Reply: 5th remote entry door lock in-op