6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

What's different driving a diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:12 PM
bfisher003
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's different driving a diesel?

Hello. New member here and I have a question.
Background: I currently own a 2013 F150 Platinum Screw 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost with Max Tow and 3.73 EL rear. I am retired and use it as my daily driver and to pull our 6,500 lbs of travel trailer all over the country, including up to Alaska last summer. My truck has been very solid and has just over 73,000 miles on it. The only diesel powered things I ever drove were tractors on the farm wayyyy back when I was a kid. My wife and I are considering moving up from our travel trailer to a fifth wheel trailer with around a 12,000 lb GVWR. Obviously this will necessitate trading my F150 for a bigger truck. My plan is to get a new F350 Crew Cab, 4x4 with the 6.7 Powerstroke diesel.
My question: How much different is it driving a diesel compared to a gasser? I don't mean steering and things like that, but all the other things that may be different.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Bill

Old 04-18-2018, 05:39 PM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
IMO, any diesel pickup in roughly the past 18 years from the big three is relaxing to tow with when compared to the available gassers. The diesels are gawd awful stupid strong until about 3000 rpms and then fall on their face but their powerband is perfect (IMHO) for towing heavy. Set the cruise, turn on some relaxing music and kick back. Naturally aspirated gassers take a little more driver attention, especially in hills. And don't forget the longer intervals between fuel fill ups for diesels. The trade off is a diesel cost more.

I haven't driven a diesel with an exhaust brake but they gotta be nice as well.

I have a custom built gasser in a pickup that makes over 600 lb ft of torque and it can pull down a house but I still prefer my diesel when towing long distance for its slow and steady brutal low end lugging ability.

BTW and as a side note, today's diesel pickups start way, way easier in freezing weather -even without plugging in a block heater- than diesel tractors of years ago.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:04 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no major difference in actual driving. Other than turning considerably less rpm. As 65Ford noted, modern diesels are amazing for towing heavy. If you haven't experienced it you will be amazed. Operation is slightly different. A 6.7 in a new F350 will take longer to warm up than your EcoBoost V6. There is a LOT of oil and coolant to heat up. Until the engine is to normal operating temperature I try not to stress it too much. I would recommend getting a tablet and running either Forscan or Torque Pro to monitor exhaust temps, oil and transmission temps. Other than that, just use common sense. The transmissions will take pretty good care of the engine and getting you up the mountains. The F350 will have an exhaust brake to assist on the decents.

If you read up on the 6.7 PSD (or any PowerStroke for that matter) you will want to use Motorcraft filters and recommended fluids. The 17+ trucks have an oil life monitor built in to tell you when to change the oil. In general, follow the Ford recommended service intervals as diesels don't respond well to deferred maintenance.

Also, for a first time Diesel owner/driver; take care where you buy fuel. Its best to only buy fuel where they sell a lot. Otherwise you run the risk of getting a bunch of water in your fuel and that can wreak havoc with a diesel. When on the road I try to buy my fuel where the big trucks do. That way I know I'm getting good fuel.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
After 80K+ miles on my daily driver 6.7 with 15K or so pulling my 5th wheel i have had no issues at all. The 350 will hold the 5th wheel with no issues. You'll truly appreciate the power and much better mpg when towing. Keep up with maintenance, good fuel, FoMoCo filters and enjoy the ride.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
Bought my '17 F-350 DRW last year and use it for towing our 5th wheel and it also is my daily driver. I live out in the country so no problems going to the bank..post office etc. even with the long 176" WB. I've been using the Motorcraft oil and filters and try to use fuel with a high cetane index rating. Like Clubwagon said try to use stations with a high volume location to make sure the fuel is fresh. The new diesels are as quiet as a gasoline engine and performance is up there with gas powered trucks also. These diesel trucks have come a long way in the last 30 yrs and are a pleasure to drive. An F-350 pulling a 12K pound 5th wheel sounds like a nice setup and I think you would be happy.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:15 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 902 Likes on 327 Posts
The biggest thing about getting used to driving a modern diesel is to pay attention when fueling up, and when adding DEF. If you out of habit put straight gas in the tank, or a bunch of DEF (the fill is right next to the fuel fill), you will more than likely cause yourself a $8-10K repair bill if it gets driven at all.

Other than that, trying to wipe that large grin off your face would be something to get used too as well.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:00 AM
Deuce40s
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driving the 6.7L is truly a pleasure, whether you're loaded or unloaded.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:36 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
You should wait a few seconds for the glow plug light to go out before cranking the starter, if the engine is cold. Of course you have an exhaust brake with a **** to play with.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:16 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by bfisher003
Hello. New member here and I have a question.
Background: I currently own a 2013 F150 Platinum Screw 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost with Max Tow and 3.73 EL rear. I am retired and use it as my daily driver and to pull our 6,500 lbs of travel trailer all over the country, including up to Alaska last summer. My truck has been very solid and has just over 73,000 miles on it. The only diesel powered things I ever drove were tractors on the farm wayyyy back when I was a kid. My wife and I are considering moving up from our travel trailer to a fifth wheel trailer with around a 12,000 lb GVWR. Obviously this will necessitate trading my F150 for a bigger truck. My plan is to get a new F350 Crew Cab, 4x4 with the 6.7 Powerstroke diesel.
My question: How much different is it driving a diesel compared to a gasser? I don't mean steering and things like that, but all the other things that may be different.

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Bill
A 6.7L could be considered overkill for a 12K GVWR fiver. Pulling is going to be effortless.
Things that are different:
1. play the radio at lower volumes
2. get used to being able to hear your wife talk

Refueling:
there's no other way to say it - refueling is a nasty business. Diesel fuel gets on everything. I keep a box of nitrile gloves under the back seat driver's side and always put one on my dominant hand before fueling, afterward, peel it off inside out and throw it away.
You'll need to keep tabs on your DEF level. It doesn't require constant monitoring, but you'll want to fill it every 3000 miles or so. Bulk DEF at the pump is least expensive, but again, the pumps are always nasty. I tend to buy the cheap brand at WalMart.

I still occasionally have a sudden panic attack while fueling and stop everything to ensure I'm pumping diesel and not gas - even when all the pump serves is diesel. Multifunction pumps are the worst, I check and recheck the nozzle about six times before ever squeezing the handle, then check it twice more while pumping.

Not directly related to driving, but I recommend going with a long bed and the factory fifth wheel prep package. This will make your towing experience even better, IMO.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:04 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
I have a 15 and it was my first diesel. I have towed my 5th wheel 26,000 miles so far ya it's my first trailer also LOL. Some things to consider. a short bed will work with a trailer because that is what i tow with. second you don't need a DRW truck. even with 3.31 gears my truck is more than capable to tow my 5er. I would however get the factory prep package but you will most likely have to order the truck. Most dealer stock isnt for the camper folks. I had to install my hitch in my driveway. You can order one from a number of places. Its the hardest thing to cut a 4 inch hole in the bed of a new truck. Make sure you get the camper package. it comes with the 7 way plug in the bed. You want that for sure.
Oh one more thing on fueling. Diesel handles are not always GREEN. double check before you pull the handle. I have seen yellow or black.
I also got the DEF filler thingy from my dealer. It snaps into the DEF filler so it wont spill all over your truck. You will be a happy camper with a diesel. Also on another side note i get my parts from the dealer so make friends with the parts guy so he may be able to give you a ***** brake on parts like oil and filters.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
The biggest difference with towing with the 6.7L is driving around with a big grin on your face. Gobs of power, nice and quiet. Sure, the maintenance effort and cost are higher but I was prepared for that. And, like said in numerous posts above, you can't be half asleep when you fuel up.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Yoteman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just switched from a gas to a diesel and tow 9k daily. One if the biggest differences was the gas truck was always high rpm’s when towing and at times sounded like it was gonna explode on big hills, the diesel tows that and just yawns, doesn’t even break a sweat. And the gas mileage is amazing between the two, the diesel wins hands down.
But an oil change on my diesel costs ne $150 and that’s doing it myself. Lol

Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 183 Posts
Fuel fill ups have been mentioned a few times so I'll throw this in there... Fuel systems on modern diesels are dang expensive so I check the fuel every time before fill up by filling a half gallon glass jar that I keep in a small crate in the bed. Any trash or cloudiness (water) and I drive away. In 6 years of ownership, I've driven away from gas stations twice (and they were both big name places). I don't check for water or trash for the gassers I've owned but I do for my diesel. Take it FWIW.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:50 PM
mxer0022
Cargo Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Another fueling thing to watch out for. When you're on a trip with your 5er and decide to pull into a semi truck fueling station, easier to access and exit with a 5er, the pump fills your truck much faster than at the regular pumps. Know about how much you will need to fill up and click it off 3-4 gallons before it clicks off automatically. It fills so fast the pressure it builds up will spit fuel right back out the fill neck and make a mess all over you and the ground. Then you're stuck driving your truck with diesel soaked pants and boots. Especially in the wind. Ask me how I know.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:05 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Been there and done that also LOL.
I prefer regular pumps and try to stay away from truck stops. I do however buy at popular stations when ever possible. Sometimes the truck stops take Good Sam and sometimes not. In all the fuel stops You will find diesel spilt on the ground at most truck stops watch your feet. The backup to get fuel may be as much as a half hour.
I have made with my truck on the road I have yet to have a problem with fuel. I have been across the country from coast to coast twice towing my 5er.

Quick Reply: What's different driving a diesel?