94 Bronco, good fuel pressure, spark, wont' start - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Reload this Page >

94 Bronco, good fuel pressure, spark, wont' start

Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 04-18-2018, 01:24 PM
CoastyAV8R
New User
CoastyAV8R is starting off with a positive reputation.

I've floated around the site searching the posts for a scenario like mine but haven't found one. My neighbor gave me a 94 Bronco, 142,000 miles, 5.0, 5 spd that hadn't ran in a few years, it was his sisters who owned it since new and all they said was it quit running.

I put in new plugs, dist cap, rotor, plug wires. Had no fuel pressure but I could hear the pump come on. Fuel in the fuel tank would make a sailor vomit and it was pretty rusty in the tank so I put in a new pump and replaced the fuel tank and fuel filter. Now I have 40 psi on the fuel rail. The Bronco starts when I squirt fuel into the the intake manifold but dies in a few seconds. This tells me I have good spark, I know I have good fuel pressure on the fuel rail so it seems the injectors aren't firing.

I cleaned the ground terminal near the battery and all the connectors at the firewall. I'm picking up a noid tester today to see if the injectors are getting the signal to fire from the ECM. I've read some folks have replaced the PIP, some have found the grounds to be bad, some have replaced the ECM. Am I missing anything else?

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 04-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Redark1
Senior User
Redark1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
you might want to pull the injectors out and check the screens in the inlet of each of them. plus flush out the line. make sure you have pulse at the injectors too. scanning for codes might give some clues to help you.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:45 PM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
Since the engine fires on raw fuel dumped into the intake you are pretty well assured the PIP is good. Since the rest of the fuel system was FUBAR I would suspect the injectors are fouled as stated above.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 PM
CoastyAV8R
New User
The Bronco's CEL never came on which makes sense because I checked the injectors for the firing signal with a noid test set and they are getting the signal to fire so it looks like I'll be pulling the fuel injectors as recommended. I assume I'll find all sorts of cool stuff in there, will I be able to just clean the inlet screens or should I consider rebuilding them? Any tips to pulling injectors or is the Haynes manual spot on with this procedure?

Old 04-19-2018, 07:00 AM
rla2005
Post Fiend
rla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud ofrla2005 has much to be proud of
There is a hidden Torx bolt in the center of the upper intake manifold. There is no way to remove the passenger side injectors without removing the upper. Budget for a replacement gasket. There was a write-up for how to clean/rebuild the injectors in the F-Series OBS section of the forum: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...to-thread.html

Some of the photos are gone and the link to the rebuild kit is dead, but you can see what was in the kit. They can be sourced from most local parts houses.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:20 PM
CoastyAV8R
New User
Originally Posted by rla2005 View Post
There is a hidden Torx bolt in the center of the upper intake manifold. There is no way to remove the passenger side injectors without removing the upper. Budget for a replacement gasket. There was a write-up for how to clean/rebuild the injectors in the F-Series OBS section of the forum: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...to-thread.html

Some of the photos are gone and the link to the rebuild kit is dead, but you can see what was in the kit. They can be sourced from most local parts houses.

Thanks for the insight, I'm sure it'll come in handy. I may just get new injectors as I'd hate to have to do this job twice.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Kemicalburns
Post Fiend
Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.Kemicalburns has a great reputation on FTE.
that torx is a T40 by the way. I would recommend looking at some explorer 4 nozzle injectors. i believe they were stock on the 97-98 5.0 explorers. they do a better job and worth the work.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:07 PM
e.lair
New User
e.lair is starting off with a positive reputation.
My Ď94 had the same problem. I changed out the fuel pressure regulator and havenít had a problem since!

Old 05-05-2018, 08:58 PM
CoastyAV8R
New User
Well the injectors were definitely toast. I also found a bent push rod when I was putting it back together so I have to find out what caused that. Fun, fun, fun...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.