PLEASE READ: Introducing Infinite Scroll & Related Threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 03:46 PM
TooManyMIce
Tuned
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Thank you for leaving an option to disable it! Most tech crap doesn't give you the option, they just "improve" something and expect you to deal with it. The infinite scroll I can almost get behind, for reading long threads start to finish, but if you're just going to the end of the thread to comment, you have to wait for all the pictures to load and the text to quit jumping around. The auto-loading related thread thing was just a bad idea from the get-go. (Another forum I'm on just puts a few links to related threads at the bottom. That way, if you want it, you can click on it, and if you don't, you're not wasting bandwidth downloading something you never asked for.)

I like real tools. You don't pick up a hammer and have it pester you to log into iCloud (sorry, your password needs to have a capital letter, a prime number, and three turtledoves), or get into your truck to find some marketing idiot trying to look busy has updated it so the ignition is on the other side of the wheel and the pedals are in a different order.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:18 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyMIce
Thank you for leaving an option to disable it! Most tech crap doesn't give you the option, they just "improve" something and expect you to deal with it.

I like real tools. You don't pick up a hammer and have it pester you to log into iCloud (sorry, your password needs to have a capital letter, a prime number, and three turtledoves), or get into your truck to find some marketing idiot trying to look busy has updated it so the ignition is on the other side of the wheel and the pedals are in a different order.
Amen! (Oops...not quite 10 characters, so... Hallelujah Amen!)

Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Compuserve was so much easier.

Thanks for adding that Y2K, I dropped the related threads after reading this.

Compared to before, I’ve having a hell of a time entering images into a post where I want them. I can be idling inbetween two paragraphs to enter the image, but after uploading it is at the top. It’s really odd.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Y2KW57
Jack, I've learned to always put a period at the bottom of my posts, distanced down aways by several carriage returns (dating myself here), before adding photos.

The period is the smallest, most innocuous text character that can remain unnoticed (like those sickening single pixel tracking beacons), and yet still permit me to have control over the entire text field once a photo gets involved.

At this point, I realize that we are describing two subtly different issues, but since they are both related, I'll continue with this point, before getting to your specific point. My point with the period is that without adding the period, I can't get below the photo I just posted. The period gives the editing software a destination, so to speak, so that I can arrow down past the photo to the period, and continue adding whatever blather I wanted to say about the photo I posted.

Now, another issue with loss of editing control when posting, that I used to have, but don't have any longer, is exactly as you describe. You've typed some text. You think, hmmm, a photo to illustrate what I'm talking about would be nice right about HERE, and you very carefully put the blinking cursor EXACTLY where you want the photo to appear, BEFORE clicking the image icon, and then you set about posting your photo and WHAM, WTF, the photo is back up at the top of the entire post again. That gets old, because now you have to select the photo, delete the photo, scroll down, and try and place the photo that you deleted where you wanted it (and if you didn't put that period place marker in prior to doing so, depending on the size of the photo, you might not be able to get past the photo to continue).

I've solved that problem in several ways, and I'm not sure which way was the real solution, and which was/is the placebo. So I'll just post a couple of things I've learned (the hard way) to do, because whenever I posted a question or a problem about photo posting issues on the admin forum of FTE, the silence... we're talking years long silence... is deafening.... interrupted only by a sarcastic quip from one of the moderators... nothing helpful.

First, I learned to always make sure that the photo I want to post is already on the internet, even if just in one of my own albums on FTE. I no longer upload directly from my device into a post. If I'm in the middle of authoring a post and suddenly decide that an illustration would better convey the point, I will go to the browser menu and open a Duplicate Tab, then click on my User Name, click on Show Albums, select a subject appropriate album I've already established, or create a new album, open that album, click Edit the album, and then upload the photo from my device into that album, save the changes, open the photo, select the UBB code, and then that frickin photo will go, and STAY put, EXACTLY where I want it within the post when I toggle back to the original tab which is still standing where I was in the middle of typing the post.

Second, if photo I want to place within the text of my post is being grabbed from someplace else already on line, then instead of downloading the image to my device, and uploading the image to the post, I will go to the place that has the image, right click on the image and ignore the save or copy options, and instead click the Properties tab, which will display the specific source URL of the image itself, rather than the webpage that the image is found in context with. I will copy the URL from the Properties tab, and then cancel the properties tab right away since it is an overlay dialog box that won't let me carry on without getting rid of it, and then return to the tab where I am typing the post and either click the image icon and paste the URL still in my clipboard/ram... or...

Thirdly, manually use the ubb image control modifiers {img} insert image url here {/img} (replace these kinds of brackets { } with these kinds of brackets [ ] when posting the ubb code manually).

Jack, I realize that you've been navigating forums for at least 20 years, and likely know everything I've said in this post, and twice as much more. But you brought up a very interesting as well as near and dear frustration that I had with FTE photo posting, and as such, it seems likely that other users who happen upon this thread might have been equally frustrated at the lack of control in the placement of photos within a post... so these detailed workaround instructions are really to benefit anyone interested, as well as to reveal the lumbering, if not laborious way I've gone about working around the problem, in the hopes that a younger smarter millenial will come along and say... "silly old fart, all you have to do is hit this button. easy."

Old 05-07-2018, 01:47 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Thanks Y2K. Actually over 30 years ... mid '80's CompuServe ya know.

The first one, yep I got.

I'm the opposite. I've gotten mostly away from posting from other sites or albums, it's just more work then I need to do. For my iMac, iPad, or iPhone I've been posting direct for at least three years now and I hardly do any posting from my windows computer. In fact with the iMac, I'll pull up the Photos library, drag things over to the desktop, then drag them onto the FTE Upload files tab. Way easier then searching through the little photos tab.

Probably some of that was loosing so many pictorials when Webshots did it's Photobucket thing, so I never trusted Photobucket thank God.

It's really with the iPad and iPhone that get me with the wandering image to the top of the post.

Paragraph 7 I do too, sometimes.

The other thing I've found is that doing the initial post writing and trying to enter in a photo doesn't work all that well, I found going to the advanced view seems to work better.

Anyway, the point of my rambling here is the new workup has changed the ability to do things. And I can have a short fuse to the frustration button and just end up deleting the post I was going to do. Did that last night, which is what brought me to this thread again.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:03 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I think I am closing on 30 years myself and the inline photos really makes it hard.
The loss of some of the tools is a pain. Then on top of that having the software
change all the font color work I have done in the "Source" mode blows a post
right out of the water.

I like the idea of a period at the end works like a simple END statment in programing.
But it looks like we are going to have to live with this. Someone told me that they
change the forum software. True or not I don't know and would have to ask the higher ups.
I have asked for Beta testing and I got some agreement but nit high enough up
the chain to see it really happening.

At least we can turn off " Infinite Scroll & Related Threads"

end

Old 05-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Y2KW57
I wasn't counting anything from ABOL back. I was only considering UBB forward. Heck, you were carving out your observations about friction materials on the back side of the stone tablets Moses brought down from Mount Sinai. And as far as Photobucket is concerned, this happened to all the F-D.com guys back in 2001, with the photo hosting service that was in vogue then. I forgot the name of that service, but it disappeared, along with eveyones photos and links. I thought your move to Facebook for your galleries was in part motivated by that previous hosting site crash and burn.

One of the funniest and most memorable posts I remember of yours was when some vehicle testers were stuck on a highway somewhere, test trailer in tow, and spy photographers were able to go right up to the window of the truck on the side or road and take a photograph of the dashboard inside. It was the new dash slated for the 6.0L era. And this was two years before that dash made it's debut. You quipped "Those guys aren't going to have a job when they get back". I still laugh at that comment for some reason. I guess it is because it was made during the time when your company was developing the pads for the '05 and up, and the remote possibility that those driver's could have been testing brakes, and could have been supervised by you, made your comment all the more foreboding and funny at the same time. I'll bet you forgot all about that little quip you made. It's sort of scary what sticks in some peoples minds though, isn't it?

Back on topic... FTE is entirely unusable on my iPhone. I won't even begin to go there. Last year, it was usable. This year, I don't even try. To be fair, my iPhone is a much older model than what all the cool people use today. But it still makes and receives phone calls, which is all I really need it to do. Which is the segue to being fully and squarely on topic... if any reader has difficulty with a device in accessing FTE, try disabling the Infinite Scroll feature as directed upthread. It might restore previously functionality that was lost with the upgrade. I think I'll try my old iPhone again. If I can find it. Will someone please ring my phone? Where'd I put that thing?

Old 05-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Still SUCKS on the iPhone and I have a iPhone 7.
I was using iCab and all of a sudden it was tossing adware so it got dumped.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:52 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

That was Webshots. I downloaded what I thought was everything, it was not. You're right again, it's why I moved what I could to Facebook.

Always amazed at your memory, I do remember the post. Those weren't my guys but we know the drill ....... You protect a prototype with your life if you can. Not sure though if that was the picture with the big red "ABORT" button on the dash.

I've got the iPhone 6s but like you, try not to use it for FTE.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:26 PM
Y2KW57
It looks like IB quietly got rid of Infinite Scroll altogether?

I checked Thread Display Options, and the option is no longer there to select.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Uhhhh.... infinite scroll is still working. At least for me?

Old 05-13-2018, 06:53 PM
fordslut
More Turbo
Received 140 Likes on 76 Posts
is infinite scroll for example, if a thread had 4 pages, now it's one long one? that's how mine is still working. i'll move the curser up, then the picture will jump around a bit trying to generate pictures I didn't stop at, but went by. very erratic, very annoying.