Water Separator Fuel Separator Cartridge - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Water Separator Fuel Separator Cartridge

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 04-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Redrockerstl55
Elder User
Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Hey Guys,

So on Saturday I went to drain my water separator and that bright yellow plug was barely held in place on the cartridge element. Then when I went screw it back on it would not latch.

Yes...it was broken. Thankfully someone here on the FTE forum recommended I buy a back up. I did. I needed it. I was saved from having my truck paralyzed on my driveway until Monday morning (my guess is Autozone doesn't carry that part).

I decided to make a quick video of this process to help anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation. I also explain how to drain the cartridge.

Then I show how to refill the cartridge with diesel after you drain it.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2018, 03:30 PM
SoylentSaxgod
Junior User
SoylentSaxgod is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice video. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2018, 03:59 PM
Redrockerstl55
Elder User
Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Redrockerstl55 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thank you. Much appreciated.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:07 PM
Desert Dave
New User
Desert Dave is starting off with a positive reputation.
Good advice, and nice video!
D2

Old 04-17-2018, 04:16 PM
davew593
Freshman User
davew593 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just drained mine for the first time today (1000 miles) Thanks so much for the video. I will be buying a new one immediately!!!

Old 04-17-2018, 04:35 PM
wicked 2018
Senior User
wicked 2018 is starting off with a positive reputation.
part number: HC3Z-9J305-A

Old 04-17-2018, 08:34 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Any suggestions on where to buy a couple plugs online where I don't pay more to ship them than the product itself costs?

Old 04-18-2018, 02:53 AM
jrwinger
Junior User
jrwinger is starting off with a positive reputation.
great video! I just ordered a few extra plugs for my rig. Thanks for explaining the process

Old 04-18-2018, 03:07 AM
TheLex
Senior User
TheLex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TheLex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thank you for posting that. I'm definitely going to pick up a couple of those before embarking on our summer trip!

Old 04-18-2018, 04:52 AM
RONMCHUGH
Senior User
RONMCHUGH is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just ordered a few myself as I live in a rural area and like doing my own maintenance . Thanks for posting the vid !!!

Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 AM
Mainedieselman
New User
Mainedieselman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Excellent advice and video. I do almost all my maintenance and thoroughly appreciate your efforts. Will purchase two plugs ASAP.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Spence144db
Freshman User
Spence144db is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Spence144db is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thank you

Thanks for the heads up!! I just picked up 2 myself and will leave them in the tool box in the back. Its guys like you that help to make owning these trucks a better experience through sites like this.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Seastacker
Senior User
Seastacker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Great Vid! I will be getting a spare ASAP now that I see how easy they break. Hopefully there is a design tweak/ improvement at some point or someone solves the issue in the aftermarket.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:35 AM
wb6anp
Postmaster
wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.wb6anp has a great reputation on FTE.
any one have a cnc machine? Maybe try and make one out of aluminum, might be a could way to make extra money.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:44 AM
roadpilot
Elder User
roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.roadpilot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Redrockerstl55 View Post
I decided to make a quick video of this process to help anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation.
Many will appreciate your video, but I have a question. Can you clarify, with specific reasoning, why you're stating that you should not pour the fuel back into the vehicle?

Of COURSE if there is water or something else otherwise contaminating the sample, you wouldn't want to reintroduce it to the fuel system.

But assuming NO water was found to be present (very obvious by looking at it) and assuming your (clear glass) container was not otherwise contaminated and you didn't allow anything other than diesel to go into the container, there's nothing but 100% ULSD in the jar. It's no different that what came from the pump to begin with.

I'm just curious if your advice is just a precautionary "just in case" scenario, or if there is specific reasoning for it.

Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Separator Fuel Separator Cartridge

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.