Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

P0170 code last week and now a P24A0 this week (dealer cannot figure it out)

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 04-17-2018, 02:59 PM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
CPTMidnight is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CPTMidnight is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Had my check engine light come on last week: P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1)
The dealer re-flashed the control module and said it should be fine.

Yesterday the engine light came back on and now it has: P24A0 DPF Temperature Control??
Dealer says that the mechanic has never seen this code and they are keeping it overnight.

Anyone have any experience with these codes?

2016 f350 4wd SB KR 6.7 55k miles Not Deleted YET (Still under warranty)

Old 04-25-2018, 05:06 PM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
CPTMidnight is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.CPTMidnight is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So the dealer could not figure it out and after a week of back and forth and trying different things with Ford the Ford Hotline finally comes back and says it is the Particulate filter and it needs to be replaced NOT UNDER WARRANTY. It is only $4700. The mechanic doesn't believe them and has reset everything and initiated a regeneration cycle and personally drove it for 30 minutes to complete it. No warning lights now and they are recommending that I drive it and hope for the best. Seems better than a $4700 bill.

Here is my issue. I brought it in with a low fuel pressure warning code. They fixed it which then caused an exhaust issue (had no issues for the last three years so assuming the light coming on 3 days after their reflash is the issue). There should be no issues between the fuel pressure and now the exhaust issue. The solution for the problem from the reflash is a non warranty issue that costs $4700. And then they cannot even be sure that is going to fix it - Ford just said that is the next step in the troubleshooting process. I am pretty frustrated right now with them. Any thoughts?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:51 AM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
LOL I feel like I am in an empty room chatting with myself but here is another update. HELLO Hello hello... echo
(My thinking is that someone down the road may benefit from this info now or in the future)

Dealer reset codes and did a manual regeneration and there are no warning lights. They said drive it and hope for the best
I had a long conversation with the Service Advisor and they cannot really do much more as they suspect it is a programming issue related to the reflash and Ford is saying that the new code may be unrelated and that it may require a new particulate filter.

I called Ford today to open up a case. They have made a preliminary determination that they will definitely help me out by assigning someone to research the full issue and that they will cover some (if not all) of the costs related to this if it comes to exhaust fix. Interesting that immediately Ford has offered to help cover the cost...

Old 04-26-2018, 07:42 PM
Regedit30
New User
Regedit30 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's a weird code. I have 2011 shop manual and this (P0170) code sounds to not exist. It should be a new code for newer trucks. The other code is talking abour EGT sensor 2 ou 4. But I'm sure your ford tech already check them.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:43 AM
shawn.snow
Senior User
shawn.snow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.shawn.snow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Regedit30 View Post
That's a weird code. I have 2011 shop manual and this (P0170) code sounds to not exist. It should be a new code for newer trucks. The other code is talking abour EGT sensor 2 ou 4. But I'm sure your ford tech already check them.
My alldata is not showing a P0170 either strange...The P24a0 is attached.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:42 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
It's a code with many possible failures. Here is a cap from the 2016 service manual.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:36 AM
js139
Senior User
js139 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Id try replacing the nox12 sensor in the dpf. I got that code for a while before mine failed. I couldnt find much info on that code, but once I replaced that sensor, it disappeared. Id do that before I bought a whole new system.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:29 AM
cappa
Senior User
cappa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I thought that Crappy emission system had a 100000km warranty? Not sure how any of this could be your fault and not covered. I am very pro delete as I hate this crap system. That being said I would not delete until they figure the issue out and fix everything on their dime. It may be a good time to put out a feeler thou on how friendly they are with deleted trucks and warranty, although if they're telling you the dpf is not covered it seems like they are looking for any excuse to screw you out of warranty. If they come back to a dpf replacement on your dime I would ask if your remaining warranty would be void or not if you just deleted the system. My dealer has fixed a water pump and an upper oil pan gasket leak, big job, under warranty on my deleted truck btw. It is bull**** as well that they can try to completely void your warranty if it's deleted and the issue has nothing to do with the mods, many will try however, but there are still some good dealers out there.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:11 PM
Javier Ontiveros Jr
New User
Javier Ontiveros Jr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you had any more problems since the reset? They reprogrammed mine but I dont feel to co fident and I sure dont want to be left stranded

Old 01-13-2019, 09:23 AM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
Originally Posted by Javier Ontiveros Jr View Post
Have you had any more problems since the reset? They reprogrammed mine but I dont feel to co fident and I sure dont want to be left stranded
No issues. Been running like a champ since then.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:54 AM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
I've had P24A0 set on my own 2016 truck in the almost four years that ivI' owned it, twice that I can recall. In both of those instances was when I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic crawling while ambient temperatures were extremely cold, and Regen was in progress. Simply clearing the code, and either putting the truck into manual Regen, or driving it in a manner enabling Regen to complete was all that was needed in both of those instances.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:53 PM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
I've had P24A0 set on my own 2016 truck in the almost four years that ivI' owned it, twice that I can recall. In both of those instances was when I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic crawling while ambient temperatures were extremely cold, and Regen was in progress. Simply clearing the code, and either putting the truck into manual Regen, or driving it in a manner enabling Regen to complete was all that was needed in both of those instances.
I'm in agreement except my P24A0 did not happen during cold weather. I monitored the Regen using Forscan both before and after this code came up and in both cases the Regen temps were fine - there was no other indication of a Regen temp problem except for the code. It seems to give the error when you are starting and stopping, turning vehicle on and off, all while the vehicle is trying to Regen so it never completes or comes to full temperature. Instead of coming up with a "drive to clean" message the computer somehow assumes the filter temps are not able to reach the proper temperature and throws an error so that you know that the filter is old and about to fail (when it is not). A manual or standard Regen cycle fixes it and if you clear the code it seems to be fine with some people never ever seeing that code again. I think this is a glitch in the code and should probably be addressed in a computer update. I can only imagine how many owners with this code were given the advice that they need to replace their exhaust system and spent a lot of money on something that was not even a problem.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:36 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by CPTMidnight View Post
I'm in agreement except my P24A0 did not happen during cold weather. I monitored the Regen using Forscan both before and after this code came up and in both cases the Regen temps were fine - there was no other indication of a Regen temp problem except for the code. It seems to give the error when you are starting and stopping, turning vehicle on and off, all while the vehicle is trying to Regen so it never completes or comes to full temperature. Instead of coming up with a "drive to clean" message the computer somehow assumes the filter temps are not able to reach the proper temperature and throws an error so that you know that the filter is old and about to fail (when it is not). A manual or standard Regen cycle fixes it and if you clear the code it seems to be fine with some people never ever seeing that code again. I think this is a glitch in the code and should probably be addressed in a computer update. I can only imagine how many owners with this code were given the advice that they need to replace their exhaust system and spent a lot of money on something that was not even a problem.
As a tech who wrenches on these vehicles, I will definitely attempt to eliminate all the least expensive and least intrusive tests before I advise exhaust system replacement. There have been numerous instances in which I've had diesel Transits and diesel F-Series coming in with repeat DTC(s) and symptoms in which I already suspect exhaust system replacement is needed, that I've tried manual regens and other minor "fixes" before it comes back in again with me telling the customers point blank the exhaust system needs replacement. For the most part, the customers authorize the replacement and the vehicles never return again with a repeat issue.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:28 AM
Javier Ontiveros Jr
New User
Javier Ontiveros Jr is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by CPTMidnight View Post
Had my check engine light come on last week: P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1)
The dealer re-flashed the control module and said it should be fine.

Yesterday the engine light came back on and now it has: P24A0 DPF Temperature Control??
Dealer says that the mechanic has never seen this code and they are keeping it overnight.

Anyone have any experience with these codes?

2016 f350 4wd SB KR 6.7 55k miles Not Deleted YET (Still under warranty)
So a couple months ago I posted on this same page about the bank 1 and they did the flash on the system but yesterday out of the blue P24A0 Popped up saying low temp on dpf I really hope its nothing crazy did it pop up anymore on yours?

Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 AM
CPTMidnight
Senior User
Originally Posted by Javier Ontiveros Jr View Post
So a couple months ago I posted on this same page about the bank 1 and they did the flash on the system but yesterday out of the blue P24A0 Popped up saying low temp on dpf I really hope its nothing crazy did it pop up anymore on yours?
Have not had any issues with it since then. It appears to have been fixed. Regeneration occurs normally and cleans it right down to 20-25% as usual. Temps all seem normal during regeneration cycle. Seems to me like they have a glitch in their software somewhere that will give a false code if you happen to do a lot of starting and stopping when it needs regeneration but who knows...

I know for some people this code is legit and it is Ford's way of asking them to Delete

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0170 code last week and now a P24A0 this week (dealer cannot figure it out)

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: