2007 Escape RPM Can't Exceed 4000 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2007 Escape RPM Can't Exceed 4000

Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 PM
WhyFord
Senior User
WhyFord is starting off with a positive reputation.
2007 Escape RPM Can't Exceed 4000

My son-in-law's 07 Escape XLT just had this weird problem: when parked and rev the engine, the RPM can't go beyond 4000. And when it reaches 4000, the engine starts to shake and the RPM just stays there. As a result, if you drive from a stop to accelerate, you feel lost of power. The scanner didn't find any code and the check engine light is not on. Did anybody here had the same problem before and know the cause of this? Please share.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:32 PM
simonsi
Senior User
simonsi is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like a rev limiter behaving as designed. Why would you want to rev it that high in Park?

What happens if driven normally? Auto or Standard trans?

Old 04-17-2018, 02:05 AM
WhyFord
Senior User
He first told me it hesitates whenever accelerate from a full stop such as traffic lights. I then tested by just revving it up in park and thought if it can't rev up at park, it can't do it either when driving. I have a 94 Bronco and 05 Expedition, both can go as high as I want without any rev limiter in park unless they have problems. I will try to drive it tomorrow to see if I can tell anything different. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2018, 02:09 AM
WhyFord
Senior User
It's automatic, BTW, and I didn't see any red line on its tachometer to set the rev limiter.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:14 AM
David7.3
The Lost One
David7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to behold
That is the rev limiter doing what it is suppose too. What happens if you power brake it. When was the fuel filter last changed, that is what it sounds like to me, starving for fuel. The rev limiter is built into the PCM and cant be adhusted, well wouldn't say cant, but you need a laptop with the software to do it.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:21 AM
WhyFord
Senior User
I also asked him about the fuel filter and he said it's never been replaced. I will replace it first and let you know the result. Thanks!

BTW, rev limiter is usually set above 6000, right? My old Bronco can go higher than that and last time I found it can't go over 3000, they found cat converter meltdown caused it.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:26 AM
David7.3
The Lost One
David7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to behold
on an escape 4000 sounds about right though it will rev higher while driving. It's just a safety issue they put into the PCM programming why rev a truck to 4000rpm's in park? that is what the pcm is saying!!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:10 AM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
I had a rental 2005 Mustang with a V6 that wouldn't exceed 3,000 RPM in Park.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:37 AM
WhyFord
Senior User
How does a PCM do this? Cutting off/reducing the fuel?

Old 04-17-2018, 03:14 PM
simonsi
Senior User
Originally Posted by WhyFord View Post
How does a PCM do this? Cutting off/reducing the fuel?
Depends, making the engine run lean is dangerous so mostly it will completely cut the fuel on individual cycles to give you a solid misfire that won't result in unburnt fuel going into the cat.

Experience with other models is not really relevant, different designers may have completely different views on the protections their engines need.

As with others - don't just rev under no load - and you've immediately drawn a false conclusion.

When did it last have new plugs and COPs?

Old 04-17-2018, 04:22 PM
WhyFord
Senior User
I just wonder how could that not trigger some kind of code, such as misfire. Fuel pressure low could trigger some code too, right?

Since I didn't find any code, I assume plugs/COPs are OK. But I may need to replace the plugs too since I have no idea when they were done last time.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:37 PM
simonsi
Senior User
I just wonder how could that not trigger some kind of code, such as misfire. Fuel pressure low could trigger some code too, right?

Since I didn't find any code, I assume plugs/COPs are OK. But I may need to replace the plugs too since I have no idea when they were done last time.
Low FP should issue a code. Plugs/COPs don't issue a code even for quite a severe misfire, I have just replaced all 6 COPS on my V6 for what seemed a mild hesitation only apparent in tope gear cruise but changing them has resulted in about 10% better gas mileage...all with no codes thrown.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:24 PM
WhyFord
Senior User
My 05 Expedition gave me #3 and #7 misfire codes now so I may need to replace COPs for those two. I did a couple before but never replace all together due to cost. Why brand did you buy?

Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 PM
simonsi
Senior User
My 05 Expedition gave me #3 and #7 misfire codes now so I may need to replace COPs for those two. I did a couple before but never replace all together due to cost. Why brand did you buy?
I've used both PAT and Bosch.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:21 AM
WhyFord
Senior User
Never heard of PAT before, Bosch is probably a good one (must be pricey too).

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.