I really like how far the 5.0L's come. - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2015+ F150
Reload this Page > I really like how far the 5.0L's come.
Notices
2015+ F150 Discuss the 2015 Ford F150

I really like how far the 5.0L's come.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:07 PM
JKBrad
Postmaster
JKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to allJKBrad is a name known to all
I can't say this enough and many people don't get it. The 2018 5.0 is a completely different, all new engine. The only thing it shares with the previous 5.0 is the 5.0 name. No surprise that it is outperforming the previous 5.0 engine.

As far as reported gains, 5 Star Tuning is a very reputable company. Mike used to post here, but I believe he is too busy these days. I used 5 Star for my V10, the results were great as was the customer service. I'l probably get around to tuning my 3.5 EB, but I'm pleased with the way it performs from the factory.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 PM
jimmy-six
Elder User
jimmy-six is starting off with a positive reputation.
I sold our 13 3.5 Eco max tow and bought a an 18 5.0 with 3.55's. Both SC's, I am impressed by both especially the mpg of the 5.0. With a carefull foot I can get 20 in town which is better than the 13's 15 mpg.
we are currently at 8k miles with 6k being on the open road on vacations. My only beef is the 5.0 is noisey when idling and I'm sure when running to. The 3.5 was always quiet. The 5.0's noise seem to be from the front of the engine. I complained at the first oil chain and heard "that's normal" which I'm not going to accept this time. Diesels are quieter and I'll have the service manager go start a few 5.0 mustangs on the lot and tell me it's normal.
As for punch they both could easily step out and pass a line of cars with no sweat. My reason was direct injection and f**ked up intakes in the future.
Im guessing you will never take a boring bar to one of the 18's because of the new cylinder wall process but who knows...

Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
johndeerefarmer
Posting Guru
johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.johndeerefarmer has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Delta Echo View Post
Anyone who is towing 10k on a regular basis should be using a 3/4 or 1-ton, not a half-ton. That's near the max rating, not a suggestion for towing on a regular basis.
Then if you are scared of 10k put 5k behind them both and the answer will be the same. I just towed 6500 lbs behind my ecoboost (two RZR's on a 24' aluminum trailer) at 80- 85 mph mph and was running around 2500 rpm. Let's see the 5.0 do that!

Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM
Delta Echo
Senior User
Delta Echo is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
Then if you are scared of 10k put 5k behind them both and the answer will be the same. I just towed 6500 lbs behind my ecoboost (two RZR's on a 24' aluminum trailer) at 80- 85 mph mph and was running around 2500 rpm. Let's see the 5.0 do that!
I'm not "scared" of it and I wasn't talking about whether it had enough power to pull it. The 5L won't have problems pulling 6500 pounds on occasion. Back in the old days, I pulled 8-10k farm equipment and 4-place enclosed sled trailers behind 3/4 ton trucks with half the power of the 5L. I was talking about pushing the payload limits (tongue weight) and the stability of the tow vehicle. Even with a weight distribution hitch, these aluminum half tons are just too light for pulling 10k on a regular basis. Keep in mind that some of us tow on slippery roads, not just in good conditions. We have snow for over 1/3 of the year around here. And 6500 pounds is along way from 10k. So yeah, your entire post was full of fail.

Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM
jimmy-six
Elder User
jimmy-six is starting off with a positive reputation.
As I said I've got a 18 now. But before the 13 was an 04 250 6.0 diesel and before that a 96 F-150 single cab 8' bed with a 351" ALL of them have towed the same 20" enclosed Carson car hauler with the same race car inside #9000. Each of them performed well including the 96, just slower up long grades. None never over heated and loaded each got about the same fuel economy 10-11. I not worried about towing up to 10k with any Ford truck even one with a 3.3 you just need to know its limitations, plan ahead, and learn how to use your transmission gears.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: