2008 f350 diesel . slow acceleration - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page > 2008 f350 diesel . slow acceleration
Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 f350 diesel . slow acceleration

Old 04-16-2018, 04:41 PM
vctree
New User
vctree is starting off with a positive reputation.

I just bought this truck
it runs good but slow on accelerateion

no mil lights are on.

back pressure pipe maybe?
someone suggested the torque converter.

also the psi goes to 20psi max. doesn't want to go .
seems to lack power.

runs good on highway, but getting up to speed takes too long. the big rigs accelerate quicker.

regen works ok.
doesnot leak or smoke

any suggestions

Old 04-16-2018, 08:21 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Almost sounds like limp mode. But you are saying no lights. Maybe plugged dpf but again that should cause a light.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 AM
73F700
Senior User
73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
To be clear, limp mode might just be the wrench in the info screen, not necessarily a check engine light.

The first thing I would do is change both fuel filters and check your air filter.

You can do a torque converter stall speed test in a parking lot, but I wouldn't expect your issues are there.

I have had a few of these trucks over the last couple years and they are not all created equal, some are reasonably perky and others a bit sluggish.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:17 PM
vctree
New User
vctree is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for the replies. here is some more info

I got this beast of a truck at a car auction. it was a theft recovery. so the ignition electronic ring was pulled out, and the radio was
disabled...I got it cheap....

also,
the shift lever actuator is acting up too. I have to manually pull out the white little plastic piece in order to shift, sometimes. this can t be it, I'm assuming, so I didn't bother to fix it. but the security, anti theft is disabled. this could be the issue?

there are no lights on. no wrench. no codes....

Old 04-17-2018, 08:59 PM
73F700
Senior User
73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.73F700 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Interesting history - chances are it has sat around for a while. You should be able to get more than 20 psi easily. Check the vgt to be sure that the turbo isn't stuck in one position. With the key off you should be able to work the vgt solenoid linkage by hand. One other item to check is that the egr valve isn't suck open. I know you don't have codes or lights, but it doesn't take long to remove the egr plastic cover and work the plunger up and down with vise grips. There are a few threads one here showing how to remove and clean your intake manifold pressure sensor. You will be surprised at how full of gunk it is when you remove it. If this is clogged and the computer is not seeing the boost, then it may not be fueling correctly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: