6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Can Wix filter handle full coolant flow to OEM cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Mike in Arizona
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can Wix filter handle full coolant flow to OEM cooler?

I am putting in a remote OEM oil cooler kit. It's already in route. I don't want to debate the merits of oil heat exchange cooler versus air exchange cooler in this thread please, as I've already revised my order and they're shipping me the aforementioned parts.

So...

If the OEM (upgraded) 6.0L Oil Cooler is remotely mounted, will a Wix 24070 coolant filter type remote coolant filter be able to handle the FULL flow of the coolant into the oil cooler? Or is it going to restrict/impede that flow. In which case, what coolant filter should I get?

I have a Sinister Diesel remote coolant filter kit (unopened) on my garage floor. Talking to them online, they didn't really seem sure, but told me the smallest restriction in their machined piece is 3/8". That seems small to me, and furthermore I am not sure the Wix coolant filter 24070 included with it can handle the full flow of coolant through the system.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2018, 02:07 PM
MTlariat
Freshman User

The Sinister coolant filter kit with the wix filter probably won,t provide enough cooling for a remote oil cooler. I have an IPR remote mounted oil cooler with a “full flow” coolant filter which uses 3/4 inch hoses to the filter.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:09 PM
Mike in Arizona
Senior User
Originally Posted by MTlariat

The Sinister coolant filter kit with the wix filter probably won,t provide enough cooling for a remote oil cooler. I have an IPR remote mounted oil cooler with a “full flow” coolant filter which uses 3/4 inch hoses to the filter.
That is quite a system. What does the filter look like? Did you do cleanings in the first 500 miles? Any gauge how clean your coolant runs now?

I like that a lot. With an external OEM cooler that could be the ticket.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:26 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to say no based on my recent experience. Just the outlet of my oil cooler coolant was stepped down to a smaller size and reduced flow through the oil cooler enough to drastically effect my deltas. After rerouting it the deltas came back down. You are going to reduce your flow through the oil cooler and thus cause issues.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM
Mike in Arizona
Senior User
Originally Posted by akblackfoot
I'm going to say no based on my recent experience. Just the outlet of my oil cooler coolant was stepped down to a smaller size and reduced flow through the oil cooler enough to drastically effect my deltas. After rerouting it the deltas came back down. You are going to reduce your flow through the oil cooler and thus cause issues.
Yeah, I just read the size of it. It's teeny-tiny. There's no way it would provide enough coolant flow.

I just found this one. It has a huge filter and big hoses. The guy who made the video has been using it for over 3 years now.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:01 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks like a rebranded Sinister kit to me, the one with the el cheapo tee that leaks over time.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Mike in Arizona
Senior User
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Looks like a rebranded Sinister kit to me, the one with the el cheapo tee that leaks over time.
Does the sinister kit leak over time?

I just read all the stuff about a high-flow versus bypass filter, and I think I understand now why the bypass is better. I was going to throw the sinister kit in today, and just drive it around a bunch prior to putting in the remote oil cooler to see how much garbage I can pick up. But the sinister kit that I have is missing the mounting bracket anyway.

If it's going to leak, I won't use it. My kit has the blue T shown below:

Old 04-16-2018, 04:07 PM
MTlariat
Freshman User

The IPR coolant filter is stainless Steel and washable. I installed it with their remote oil cooler kit and with their egr gen 3 delete. I have yet to put 500 miles on it; so, haven’t cleaned it.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:09 PM
MTlariat
Freshman User
I read delta temps with a Power Hungry Performance Insight CTS-2 Pro.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:17 PM
Mike in Arizona
Senior User
Originally Posted by MTlariat
The IPR coolant filter is stainless Steel and washable. I installed it with their remote oil cooler kit and with their egr gen 3 delete. I have yet to put 500 miles on it; so, haven’t cleaned it.
I might add one later but right now I'd like to get all the fine particulate contamination out, so I am thinking that the bypass filter's superior filtering would be better suited for immediate use.

Obviously having both would be better. After running the bypass filters I'll see how much stuff is left in there.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:15 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
Ive had the Sinister bypass kit in my truck for 3 years and about 90k miles. No leaking so far.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Mine has been on about 7 years I guess, I’ve worked on it twice. One leak at the T fitting, one at the filter housing. Not a big deal to fix it though. I don’t think I’ll fix it next time, just remove it and not worry about a filter. I think the hole in the filter is smaller than the tubing and wouldn’t work for what you were planning.

leaking T fitting

Easy fix

Old 04-17-2018, 05:17 PM
Mcrafty1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts
I too have a sinister by pass filter, been on about 4 years approx. 40,000 miles, no leaks yet.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Cabo350psd
New User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Mine has been on about 7 years I guess, I’ve worked on it twice. One leak at the T fitting, one at the filter housing. Not a big deal to fix it though. I don’t think I’ll fix it next time, just remove it and not worry about a filter. I think the hole in the filter is smaller than the tubing and wouldn’t work for what you were planning.

leaking T fitting

Easy fix
it looks like silica residue on the threads. Or is that corrosion? Were you running ELC?

Old 04-18-2018, 07:00 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 135 Likes on 79 Posts
Yup that was with the CAT brand ELC at the time, it had been in there a couple of years. I think that residue is some sort of thread sealer and was the reason for the leaking.

Quick Reply: Can Wix filter handle full coolant flow to OEM cooler?