1956 F100 has arrived - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F100 has arrived

Old 04-16-2018, 12:58 PM
56F1004x4
New User
56F1004x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1956 F100 has arrived

My latest addition to the toy garage has finally arrived after dealing with brokers and shipping companies that canít seem to share correct information. Needless to say the 1956 F100 has backed out of the trailer!!!! The pevious owner has had her in the garage since 2005 with only running her a few times per year. Now the project starts for me. I need to find out who built this truck back in 2000. I will post some photos and over the next few months intend to research origin of the body, the drove train and other items. At the same time maybe I can use this thread to await others wanting history of such fine works of the Ford Motor Company and those who work hard to keep them alive.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Greg Rogers
Elder User
Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.Greg Rogers has a great reputation on FTE.
That thing looks bad a$$! I like it. Looks like brake/clutch pedal assembly out of 57 or so F100 ??

Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM
ZFLASH
Senior User
ZFLASH has a good reputation on FTE.ZFLASH has a good reputation on FTE.
That looks awesome, enjoy it. L8R ZFLASH

Old 04-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Jafo56
Elder User
Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.Jafo56 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Wow very nice!...... looks great

Old 04-17-2018, 05:13 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.topmoo has a spectacular reputation.
Nice truck! What are you going to do to it?

Old 04-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I know who built that truck, a man named Hombre.
4x4 chassis swap - '56 F-600

I talked with him years back on it, nice guy. He's still active on there so you should be able to get a hold of him that way.

It's an awesome truck Makes me wish mine was farther ahead as I've always loved a '56 4x4.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:42 AM
56F1004x4
New User
Brake - Clutch issues

Well I will begin by saying that I am looking or any history that may exist on this truck. I purchase her via online and other than txt with the owner and his Father I did not actually see the truck until it rolled out of the trailer. The complete purchase, title transfer and shipping took place without meeting each other and only after a few phone calls did I decide would take a chance on the truck. We always say "Buy the seller, not the vehicle". Well in this case the seller and his Father were 100% genuine and the best guys you will find today. The one issue fully disclosed was the truck brakes did not work and filling the master cylinder did not produce working brakes. The truck runs perfect so loading was via a winch and tire blocks. When the truck/trailer I backed the truck out ready to shut off the key and use the motor as the brake. After some white knuckle moves I was able to back the truck into my shop for evaluation.

It turns out that after searching the truck from lines to each slave piston no sign of leaking brake fluid. With this I decided to pull the master cylinder so I could evaluate what was needed to upgrade the brake system. When removing the linkage bolt below the dash I discovered brake fluid under the carpet and soaked in the carpet pad. Further removal of the master cylinder located the problem. The front seal was leaking so now complete unit including the remote power assist now on the bench.

The clutch was very hard to engage and considering I was already removing the brake system I also decided to remove the clutch master cylinder. Further evaluation revealed that the input shaft for the hydraulic cylinder was bent only allowing 30% movement. I have these questions:

1. Should I re-build the current brake master and try it or should I upgrade to a new power assist master cylinder and if I upgrade any suggestions. I could install a duel master cylinder and have better pressure/control over this current unit.
2. Is there a better option for for the shift unit. Seems that the current system is limited in range and pressure change.

I have posted some photos for those interested.

Thank you
W
1956 F100 4x4
1979 F150 Short box 4x4
1996 Porsche C4S
2012 BMW R1200GS

Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 AM
56F1004x4
New User
Looking for builder-history

Good day all-- If anyone has info regarding the builder or history of this truck please send me any information or links how I can contact the original builder. In the meantime I will be adding teak and stainless steel custom bed, upgrading the brake and clutch system, new tires and will begin research into what is the best automatic transmission that will bolt to the 390.

Other small details will be to build custom running boards and Stainless steel FORD letters for the tailgate. I will also need to change the duel exhaust pipes and how they exit the truck as now with the new gas tank the exhaust are blowing into the front of the tank.

If anyone can also tell me these components:

1. The front axle from what year/make?
2. The rear axle from what year/make?
3. The 4X4 shock mounts and items?

Thank you for any info and

history

56F1004X4

Old 04-19-2018, 09:11 AM
EBEAR
Elder User
EBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to behold
Some one with more knowlege than me will chime in but that's pretty old stuff " ball type front diff and divorced transfer case " it must have been done quite some time ago .

Old 04-19-2018, 10:58 AM
56F1004x4
New User
Thank you for the reply— I think this is from an old Bronco or International Harvester 4x4 Truck. This 1956 came with factory 3 speed overdrive as original equipment and of 6,200 big windows made only some went on to have aftermarket 4x4 upgrade by NAPCO. The NAPCO used an inverted rear drove and mounted it in the front so the tell tale clue on those conversions was the differential sitting on the passenger side of the Truck. As I locate added info I will add to this thread so others can use this for their own knowledge base.
All comments or info is welcome.

On the Brake project I now research power boost brake / master cylinder options for this truck application as the current set up also seems impossible to locate rebuild kits and is quite antiquated.

Thank you.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.Stephen67 has a very good reputation on FTE.
The Hamb seems to be having some issues in the post I shared, but "Hombre" is the guy who made that truck, he'd be able to tell you everything on it. This is that truck:

If memory serves he did one on a Bronco frame and another on a Chevy pickup frame, that one had a wheelbase of 107" (not sure how I remember that...), as well as swapping parts onto a stock frame. Not sure which one you have.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:32 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
underthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputation
I just wanted to congratulate you on your new arrival, and welcome you both to the FTE family.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.