82' Electrical Battery/Alternator Help! - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

82' Electrical Battery/Alternator Help!

Old 04-18-2018, 01:09 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
Installing a new 4 gauge charge cable and changing a pulley is still a bolt on deal. Oh, might be getting crazy as you'll have to crimp or solder a wire on the new harness off the alternator as well. Get an alternator already clocked correctly for your application and you won't have to loosen and tighten those 3 case bolts either. 3g is a bolt on swap. heck for that matter a 10si or 12si is a bolt on swap.

To OP, personally I wouldn't bother with the small case 95 amp 3g, the cost difference is negligible and it takes the same time to install either one.

A 42 amp 1g will work and be adequate for the electrical load these trucks have. The advantage of going with a 3g is a simple internally regulated alternator, less wiring, and mainly increased output at idle for full voltage. No more dimming lights or slow defroster at idle, less runtime required to charge battery after starting.
There is nothing wrong with doing this and upgrading your alternator. It can be easily done with a little research. But your stock puny one would work ok also. It's whatever you want to do, cadunkle always takes the high road wanting the very best he can put on there, while I am more of the "get it going" kind of guy with minimal fuss.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:20 PM
orlando.ortiz3
New User
orlando.ortiz3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
So,

Tested the alternator thoroughly, like you guys guessed, it was shot. Pretty sure its the original 30+ year old alternator(surprised it lasted this long). Anyway, picked up a 70amp exact copy remanufactured model from the local autopart, stuck with the external regulator, cleaned up all connections, new harness, etc. After about an hour of work, and a recharged battery, she fired up perfectly on the first turn.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 PM
orlando.ortiz3
New User
orlando.ortiz3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
And one last thing!

The pulley change was a bear! Guessing that bolt on the orig alt pulley had been seared on there for the last 3 decades! Went through two hand-held impacts before having to bring out the air compressor!

Old 04-18-2018, 04:52 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
ha ha!! Yes they are ON there. A little anti-sieze on threads for the next mechanic ain't a bad plan.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:30 PM
cadunkle
Posting Guru
cadunkle has a good reputation on FTE.cadunkle has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
ha ha!! Yes they are ON there. A little anti-sieze on threads for the next mechanic ain't a bad plan.
The older I get the more adamantly I use antiseize on fasteners. I've come to realize 9 times out of 10 the next mechanic is me.

I don't bother on alternator pulleys though, never had one give me a lick of trouble. Be careful using antiseize on any threads for rotating things that are not positively locked in place, you don't want it coming loose from spinning or stopping motions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.