Long cranking + 5-10 sec or no start - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Long cranking + 5-10 sec or no start

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long cranking + 5-10 sec or no start

Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 AM
Josh Rowe Sr.
Junior User
Josh Rowe Sr. is starting off with a positive reputation.
how's the cam sensor??

Old 05-14-2018, 06:43 PM
purplewg
Elder User
purplewg has a good reputation on FTE.purplewg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Josh Rowe Sr. View Post
how's the cam sensor??
Not sure Josh. I don't no of any good way to test it. Probably easier to just replace it. Never hurts to have a spare anyway. I always had a spare in Jeep.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:46 PM
Josh Rowe Sr.
Junior User
Josh Rowe Sr. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had same issue when I woke up this morning, changed cam, cranked right up

Old 05-20-2018, 06:03 AM
purplewg
Elder User
purplewg has a good reputation on FTE.purplewg has a good reputation on FTE.
Just another update. I do have the new cam sensor sitting here on my desk but not sure I am going to put it in right away. The more I drive the truck after replacing all the other stuff I listed the better it is getting. The last thing was the IPR sensor I changed. I really need to get the truck out on the road rather than just running it around the farm here but have been busy with other stuff. The truck is now starting within what seems to be a second or two. I probably with go ahead an change the cam sensor as the one that is in it is original and 18 years old.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 PM
gdmafia
New User
gdmafia is starting off with a positive reputation.
Update
Had some time to tinker with it, starts and run fair, but have a knock when at operating temp. I don't think it's a mechanical knock as it's louder when warm and I can feel the pulsing in the lines for the fuel cross over.
I replaced the ICP in the head, I rebuild the new IPR in the oil pump, I checked injector hold down bolts torqued to spec, I checked all plugs and connector, I checked height of injector and found #6 sit a little higher than the rest, pulled it, didn't look like any blow by of any kind, replaced orings and checked for copper washer in cup, nothing, reinstall and still sit high. I do have small amount of oil sitting in front part of valley, but not wet to the back. I change the spring in the fuel cross over to the lightest only felt like little less power and for sure little higher exhaust temp 50-100.
Is it possible it's the new Terminator hpop or do I start pop all the injectors, got new orings for all just in case, also has old hpop.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:06 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
As far as the long cold crank is concerned, have you checked to see if the HPOP reservoir is full before you try to start? If the check ball leaks and the oil level is down in the reservoir it could be part of your long crank issue.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:01 AM
gdmafia
New User
The check ball, that should been replaced/tested as they build the hpop at terminator. I send them my old pump and it is the same I got back looking new and nice.

Old 06-13-2018, 10:03 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
I won't make any assumptions but they way I read it hydro man 17 might be referring to the check ball in the block.

IIRC it's on the drivers side and is an anti-drain back to prevent the HPOP reservoir from draining back into the sump when the engine is turned off and there's no oil pressure.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:38 AM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.hydro man 17 has a good reputation on FTE.
Brian42 is correct. Apologizes for not being more specific.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:35 PM
gdmafia
New User
Ok, so is that likely it got damage when I replaced injector and hpop?

Old 06-14-2018, 08:51 AM
brian42
Postmaster
brian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to beholdbrian42 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gdmafia View Post
Ok, so is that likely it got damage when I replaced injector and hpop?
No, not likely at all.

It's in the engine block. It's not likely that it's failed (or leaking by) but it has happened.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.