Manual to automatic conversion - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Manual to automatic conversion

Old 04-15-2018, 09:52 PM
booskie
New User
booskie is starting off with a positive reputation.
Manual to automatic conversion

Hello, Im looking for some feedback and/or advice. I have a 1972 F350 that has the 4 speed manual transmission. Id love to convert the truck to an automatic for ease of driving. Has anyone done this? Is it simple? Costly? What do I need to do?? Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:47 AM
RichS2659
Posting Guru
RichS2659 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RichS2659 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Easy-peasy is to just buy an auto-equipped truck and transfer everything over that way you get all the little hard to find pieces, and scrap or part out the truck.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:47 PM
Freightrain
Shiftoholic
Freightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud of
A column, a C6, and some time. Likely have to modify the driveshaft in some manner. Not that big of a deal, easier then putting a stick in it. You can leave the clutch pedal in it(or not). The rest just bolts in, the transmission crossmember can just slide and redrill to fit(I've done that putting a stick in them).

The only real issue might be the crossmember under the bellhousing. My '69 was removable to ease getting the bellhousing of the C6 in/out. My '70 stick truck did not come out. You just need to cut the rivets and replace with bolts.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:38 PM
Thipdar
Elder User
Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by booskie View Post
Hello, Im looking for some feedback and/or advice. I have a 1972 F350 that has the 4 speed manual transmission. Id love to convert the truck to an automatic for ease of driving. Has anyone done this? Is it simple? Costly? What do I need to do?? Thanks in advance for any input.
Minor modification to the wiring: You'll probably have to change your Neutral Safety Switch, and the place where it hooks into the wiring.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 PM
RichS2659
Posting Guru
RichS2659 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.RichS2659 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Show me a 3 or 4 speed truck that had a NSS or a clutch switch. Never had them until the clutch safety switch happened in the 80's.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 AM
Freightrain
Shiftoholic
Freightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud ofFreightrain has much to be proud of
The NSS was only hooked up with an automatic. There is a flat 4 pin plug under the dash. Two are for NSS(which just have a jumper wire for a stick truck), and two for backup lights. The NSS and back up lights will plug into switch on bottom of automatic column.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:02 AM
Thipdar
Elder User
Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.Thipdar has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by RichS2659 View Post
Show me a 3 or 4 speed truck that had a NSS or a clutch switch. Never had them until the clutch safety switch happened in the 80's.
Even when the transmission is a manual, the wiring harness has a connector for the Neutral Safety Switch.

There's also a provision for an alternate placement of the Reverse Switch.

Even though this is for a 1970, it should be close enough for 1972, at least for that part. The 1972 diagram isn't particularly informative about what plugs into the connectors it shows.

So even without a NSSwitch on the transmission being removed, it's still something to cope with when the automatic transmission is installed.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:08 AM
RichS2659
Posting Guru
The wiring harness has applications for every option known, but there still is not a physical switch located on a manual trans as you insinuated.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Thipdar
Elder User
Originally Posted by RichS2659 View Post
The wiring harness has applications for every option known, but there still is not a physical switch located on a manual trans as you insinuated.
It could well be that I was thinking of the Reverse Switch.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:02 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
HIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud of
Off the top of my head....
  • Compatible C-6 transmission
  • Flex plate access cover
  • C-6 dipstick & tube
  • Flex plate
  • Starter?
  • Torque converter
  • Driveshaft .. only the front shaft (intermediate shaft) is needed as it will need to be the longer auto trans version.
  • Speedo gear & cable
  • Transmission kickdown linkage
  • Transmission cooler lines
  • Vacuum fittings & hose on intake manifold (for modulator)
  • Steering column for auto trans. Get a tilt column from a Dentside!!
  • Steering column's shift linkages
  • Steering column plate at firewall
  • Pedal linkage assembly for an auto trans truck (or remove/cut off the clutch pedal arm
  • Wide brake pedal pad
  • Neutral start switch (IIRC manual trans trucks have bridged plug)

Old 04-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Pappawheely
Senior User
Pappawheely is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pappawheely is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Where are you located? I am going the opposite way and will trade parts.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:39 PM
hillcountryflt
Posting Guru
hillcountryflt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
which engine do you have in your f250. Just watching. My conversion from 3-on-the-tree to c4 has not been the smoothest. A lot of self-induced misery (wrong c4 for starters).

Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 AM
JEFFFAFA
Post Fiend
JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.JEFFFAFA has a spectacular reputation.
A local driveshaft company can make a driveshaft longer or shorter. To shorten one they cut one end off the driveshaft. Cut the tube the required amount. Weld the end back on. Then rebalance it. To lengthen it they cut both ends off and weld them to a new and longer tube. Then balance it..