Has the radiator issue been fixed on the 17/18s? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page > Has the radiator issue been fixed on the 17/18s?
Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has the radiator issue been fixed on the 17/18s?

Old 04-15-2018, 07:30 PM
sundownnc
New User
sundownnc is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has the radiator issue been fixed on the 17/18s?

Hey all - sorry, I've paged through 12 pages when searching through results for "radiator" in this particular forum, but I can't find the answer to my question (so apologizes if I've missed it somehow).

I'm hoping it's an easy (and positive) one: Has the "leaky" radiator (lower driver's side) issue been fixed on these newer trucks? I have a 2015, and it's just developed a small leak. I'm at a point where I'd traditionally trade the truck in anyway, and am looking at an '18 SD, but I may have second thoughts if they're still producing these trucks with the same known issue since 2008 (I think?). Yes, extended warranties cover these things, but I consider it akin to negligence if Ford continues down a path that they know eventually results in $1700 - $2200 radiator fixes somewhere between 50k and 90k miles.

Appreciate any input you may have.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:31 PM
UGA33
Postmaster
UGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud of
They are using the same radiators on the new trucks, but the fully boxed frame, extra crossmember up front, and the new body mount bushings should fix the major issue that caused most of the radiator failures on the 08-16 trucks which was frame flex and how they were mounted. Haven't personally seen a thread or instance of a 2017+ with a leaking radiator yet.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:43 PM
psdxohio
Senior User
psdxohio is starting off with a positive reputation.
Which motor are we talking about? 6.7 or 6.2?

Old 04-15-2018, 08:46 PM
UGA33
Postmaster
UGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud ofUGA33 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by psdxohio View Post
Which motor are we talking about? 6.7 or 6.2?
If we are talking radiator issues, it would have to be a 6.7

Old 04-15-2018, 08:54 PM
sundownnc
New User
Correct. 6.7. Appreciate the insight guys. My '15 sees plenty of farm work and twisty/bumpy roads.

Any other thoughts are certainly welcome.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:20 PM
TheLex
Senior User
TheLex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TheLex is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yup, friend of mine has a 2014 F250 6.7 and just developed a slow radiator leak. $1500-1700 for a new one.

He's going out and buying a new F350 CC DRW .

Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 AM
SloScooter
Senior User
SloScooter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sundownc any association with the audio company?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:49 AM
sundownnc
New User
Afraid not.
Originally Posted by SloScooter View Post
Sundownc any association with the audio company?

Old 04-16-2018, 07:19 AM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
FOUNTAIN 1 has a good reputation on FTE.FOUNTAIN 1 has a good reputation on FTE.FOUNTAIN 1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Many experiencing coolant smell. And refilling of coolant. Havenít found where itís coming or going from. My truck was due ikr was due in shop for three separate problems. That being one of them. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM
honda250xtitan
Senior User
honda250xtitan is starting off with a positive reputation.
my uncle had a cracked radiator fixed on his 17 platinum a few weeks ago

Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
I agree with Josh. The previous generation trucks tended to have radiators leak from frame flex. Even guys that replaced the OEM radiator with expensive Mishimoto radiators had the same issue happen to them. Powerstroke help showed an episode where they lifted on front tire with a fork truck to give an extreme example of flex...you can see the tug at the radiator corner. It seems the problem could be solved with rubber bushings that have more travel, but Ford never corrected it on these trucks. Not all of them had the problem...probably depended upon terrain, etc.

SO, as Josh said, the new trucks have a fully boxed frame end to end, with new body mounts. The flex is greatly reduced, which should cause much less tugging on the radiator. Time will tell, but I don't have a concern.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Buliwyf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Shouldn't have any tugging on the radiator.

That's a pretty monstrous design flaw. Wow. Hopefully the 17+'s are good to go. I'd mount the radiator inside an inflexible steel frame, and float that to the chassis or body with rubber.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.