Gas tank/pump problem? 89 F250 5.8 liter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Gas tank/pump problem? 89 F250 5.8 liter

Old 04-14-2018, 04:08 PM
gr8dain
Senior User
gr8dain is starting off with a positive reputation.
Gas tank/pump problem? 89 F250 5.8 liter

Good afternoon. I have a problem that I am hoping you all can help with. I have 2 tanks, but I know that no fuel is provided when I flip to the back tank. So I have been using the front tank only. I bought this truck recently. The day I Boys ght it, I ran out of fuel on the way home. I thought the seller just lied when he said he filled it up. i now it did not take much when I took it to the gas station, but I had put a few gallon ns in with my mower tank. that was about 60 miles driven.

Today I had to drive it about an hour away. I topped it off as I wanted to test my mileage. On the way home, I ran out of gas. I looked and I had driven about 60 miles again. I pished it to the gas station right next to me. I filled it and it only took about 4 gallons.

So any ideas? Pump? I wonder if the pickup tube for the front tank does not go down far enough. Maybe the previous owner put the wrong one in? For the rear tank maybe? Do they use different ones since the rear tank is shallower?

and yes, my fuel gauge is broken and reads past full all of the time. Another thing on the list to fix.

Thanks,

Dain

Old 04-15-2018, 07:47 AM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by gr8dain View Post
The day I Boys ght it, I ran out of fuel on the way home.

Today I had to drive it about an hour away. I topped it off as I wanted to test my mileage. On the way home, I ran out of gas. I looked and I had driven about 60 miles again. I pished it to the gas station right next to me. I filled it and it only took about 4 gallons.

So, each time you allegedly ran out of gas, you put some fuel in the tank. Did your truck start up each time and you drove away ?

Old 04-15-2018, 08:24 AM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.vjsimone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So, sounds like you are losing fuel pressure intermittently or do you have an ignition failure problem?

Iím assuming your front tank pump is maybe ok, but it could be failing (itís going to fail sooner than later, due to its age).

Your High-Pressure Fuel Pump could have an issue mechanical or electrical.

Could be a problem with the Fuel Pump Relay or wiring to the Relay Socket. I would check this out first, maybe replace the relay. Check the wiring to the socket.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:44 AM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
that was about 60 miles driven.
I looked and I had driven about 60 miles again.
Could be that 60 mile is what it takes for your Ignition Control Module/TFI to overheat and shut down. It is possible that the next time she shuts down, if you let it cool down, it will restart.

I'm assuming you tried to restart the engine after it shut down, and it would not start. You could try some cool spray on your TFI/ICM next time this happens.

https://vetco.net/products/mg-super-...4aAhYnEALw_wcB

Old 04-15-2018, 10:17 AM
gr8dain
Senior User
Thanks for the responses.

It is very possible that it could start right back up after cooling off. Not sure how long it takes as that past couple of times, I went somewhere to get gas. Put it in and it started. I was actually tempted to try it before adding gas, but did not. Should have. But after putting the gas in, it took a second to start up, like it took the time to get fuel to the engine.

I went ahead and ordered the in tank pump assemblies. I will put them in this week. Maybe I will drive it around when I have time and see what happens. It will have to be a day when I have time to get stuck. I will keep 5 gallons in the bed. But if it needs to cool, that will take time.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:01 AM
josiewales
Junior User
josiewales is starting off with a positive reputation.
Before throwing time, money, and parts at a problem, understand how it's supposed to work and diagnose the issue.
To work on these trucks requires a service manual, a code reader, and a fuel pressure gauge.
In your problem, the fuel pressure gauge will tell if that's a cause.
If lack of fuel pressure is the problem, these trucks have three pumps, one in each tank and one on the frame with the filter, which could also cause the issue.
When you first turn the key ON, the pump in the tank selected should run for a couple seconds and there should be pressure at the engine for starting.
These year models also have computers that go bad after awhile and can be replace easily and cheap. Without good computer signals the motor won't start or run, sometimes.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:15 AM
gr8dain
Senior User
Originally Posted by josiewales View Post
Before throwing time, money, and parts at a problem, understand how it's supposed to work and diagnose the issue.
To work on these trucks requires a service manual, a code reader, and a fuel pressure gauge.
In your problem, the fuel pressure gauge will tell if that's a cause.
If lack of fuel pressure is the problem, these trucks have three pumps, one in each tank and one on the frame with the filter, which could also cause the issue.
When you first turn the key ON, the pump in the tank selected should run for a couple seconds and there should be pressure at the engine for starting.
These year models also have computers that go bad after awhile and can be replace easily and cheap. Without good computer signals the motor won't start or run, sometimes.
thanks. I do need to pick up a manual for sure. I will also look for a fuel pressure gauge. Oh and a fuel level gause while I am at it.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:39 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Good afternoon. I have a problem that I am hoping you all can help with. I have 2 tanks, but I know that no fuel is provided when I flip to the back tank.

and yes, my fuel gauge is broken and reads past full all of the time. Another thing on the list to fix.

Thanks,

Dain
Does the rear tank pump run when you switch to the rear tank? The dual function reservoir might be stuck not allowing you to access the fuel from the rear tank.

Does the gas gauge come off of full when the rear tank is selected?

Old 04-15-2018, 12:18 PM
BS51993
Senior User
BS51993 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had similar issues on my 88 Straight 6. After sitting a bit it would start back up and run again temporarily before doing the same thing. Never did solve the problem before it rolled and got totaled but I replaced the in tank and frame rail fuel pumps, ICM and fuel pressure regulator to no avail.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:25 PM
gr8dain
Senior User
Update. I dropped the front tank and put in a whole new pump and sending unit assembly. Now the gauge works. It took a number of tried to get the truck to start and idle, but it is. Yet when I press the pedal more than slightly it stalls out. I am letting it idle a bit right now to see if it changes, but I am thinking that I should change the high pressure pump as well

Then I turned it off and cannot get it to start again

Old 04-15-2018, 05:29 PM
gr8dain
Senior User
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks View Post
Does the rear tank pump run when you switch to the rear tank? The dual function reservoir might be stuck not allowing you to access the fuel from the rear tank.

Does the gas gauge come off of full when the rear tank is selected?
i do not think it pumps when I use the rear tank, but I would not know. I do not hear anything. And the gauge now jumps back past full when i flip the switch to the rear tank

Not sure if this is progress or not.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:21 PM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
Originally Posted by BS51993 View Post
I had similar issues on my 88 Straight 6. After sitting a bit it would start back up and run again temporarily before doing the same thing. Never did solve the problem before it rolled and got totaled but I replaced the in tank and frame rail fuel pumps, ICM and fuel pressure regulator to no avail.
You must not have come to FTE for help..............

Old 04-15-2018, 08:22 PM
vjsimone
Old-Timer
Update. I dropped the front tank and put in a whole new pump and sending unit assembly. Now the gauge works. It took a number of tried to get the truck to start and idle, but it is. Yet when I press the pedal more than slightly it stalls out. I am letting it idle a bit right now to see if it changes, but I am thinking that I should change the high pressure pump as well

Then I turned it off and cannot get it to start again
See post #6....

Old 04-15-2018, 11:20 PM
BS51993
Senior User
BS51993 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by vjsimone View Post
You must not have come to FTE for help..............
I did and the help I got didn't solve the problem. One response said fuel pressure regulator, another said fuel pump and another said ICM. None worked.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:34 PM
gr8dain
Senior User
Originally Posted by vjsimone View Post
See post #6....
yeah. Re reading it multiple times. Gotta get a manual and a pressure gauge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas tank/pump problem? 89 F250 5.8 liter

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.