Towing with 2018 F150

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 03:04 PM
tree10
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with 2018 F150

I am about to order a 2018 F150 and wanted to get some input before pulling the trigger. I will tow a stock trailer very infrequently and a TT more often but still less then 10% of the time.

My numbers the TT is a
Jay Feather 242
-dry weight 4750, GVWR 6500 (for some reason this model Jayco has a huge capacity),
-overall length 27'9",
-tongue weight 545 pounds (it's a rear kitchen so low TW)
-height 119" to top of AC (very low TT)

Truck
2018 F150
Screw 157 inch wheelbase
3.5 EB
Max Tow Package
LT load range C tires
Base Lariat Trim payload should be 1700 pounds

I know I'm well within all the capacities.
In every ones expert opinion how will the 150 tow it?

Thanks for the help, I know I'm over thinking this but it's a lot of money!

PS Any new TT we get at this point in my life will be smaller not bigger.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:09 PM
ExDakotaOwner
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Based on rough numbers, you should be okay, as long as you dont put a football team in your truck. Length of trailer should be fine for size of the truck, besides the typical crosswinds and semi truck issues that happens. Nothing looks alarming to me anyway. Im not an expert though.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:01 AM
tomsoftail
Cross-Country
My friend bought a wdh for his 1500 and he pulled a 31 ft first river. He swears by the wdh.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:24 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 400 Likes on 188 Posts
I would upgrade the tires to an E-range and run a hitch with sway control.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 AM
psdxohio
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
This trailer is right inside the sweet spot for this truck. A WDH with sway control is a requirement, but you’ll have no trouble at all. Would load range E tires make a difference, probably but I would tow with it before changing the tires. You already have LT tires as opposed to P prefix tires which are passenger car tires in a truck size. I wouldn’t hesitate one bit. Good luck with your decisions!

Old 04-16-2018, 06:05 PM
tree10
Senior User
Thanks for the thoughts!
I do use a WDH but a cheap offshore chain type the Sway control is just the friction bar which I rarely use (don't notice a difference with or without it)
I will be looking into a better WDH . Any suggestions?

As for tires My present TV is a 07 Tundra Reg cab long box. I put 10 ply load range E Michelien MS2s on it and they ride OK without the TT and WDH but with it on, the ride is very jarring over expansion strips on the highway. I think I might like the lighter C range tires better. I never could see the point of P tires on a PU.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:53 PM
psdxohio
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Equalizer or Swaypro and both highly regarded. Figure about $600 for one of these.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM
amartz02
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I pulled a 10,000 lbs camper with a 1,300 lbs tongue weight and a family of 6 from Michigan to Maine and back with the same truck but 2015. Pulled terrible on the way out, but I adjusted the WD hitch and the ride back was very easy. I now know I was over weight, and have upgraded to an F350. The point was, with that EB engine and a properly adjusted WD hitch, you won't have trouble. I too would recommend the Equalizer or Swaypro.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:05 AM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have an XLT version of the same truck. First decent pull in my TT just this week. Relatively short distance but similar to your needs. my .rickwiod Ultra Lite 2304DS has dual opposing sides. Dry weight is 5950 lbs. Right at 7000 lbs loaded. Truck had a couple passengers, couple dogs, and another roughly 500 lbs of gear. Also have a WDH setup.
Living in the Northwest we see lots of small hills and speeds varying from 50 to 70 mpg. Keep mine under 65 towing. Anyway, the truck pulled excellent. Trailer had no significant issues. Running OEM 18 inch tires and will get heavier duty tires as these wear out. Did notice a bit of tail wagging a higher speeds, especially with other rigs passing while going I. The same direction of travel.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:06 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tuckr2
Have an XLT version of the same truck. First decent pull in my TT just this week. Relatively short distance but similar to your needs. my .rickwiod Ultra Lite 2304DS has dual opposing sides. Dry weight is 5950 lbs. Right at 7000 lbs loaded. Truck had a couple passengers, couple dogs, and another roughly 500 lbs of gear. Also have a WDH setup.
Living in the Northwest we see lots of small hills and speeds varying from 50 to 70 mpg. Keep mine under 65 towing. Anyway, the truck pulled excellent. Trailer had no significant issues. Running OEM 18 inch tires and will get heavier duty tires as these wear out. Did notice a bit of tail wagging a higher speeds, especially with other rigs passing while going I. The same direction of travel.

great little camp site. Where are you? Our new TT just arrived, and now waiting on the truck which is scheduled to be built on 5/13. We are first time owners, but have rented several times over the last four years. Now I need to start putting together a list of fun weekend spots in th pacific northwest that don't require reservations a year in advance.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:45 PM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mayfield Lake from Thousand Trails - Paradise RV Campground
Originally Posted by davidpacificnw
great little camp site. Where are you? Our new TT just arrived, and now waiting on the truck which is scheduled to be built on 5/13. We are first time owners, but have rented several times over the last four years. Now I need to start putting together a list of fun weekend spots in th pacific northwest that don't require reservations a year in advance.
Good for you. Bought a leisure Time membership years ago. This was bought out by Thousand Trails some years ago. We have since upgraded to cover the Entire US. Not sure we needed that but now that we have it - after paying our yearly maintenance fee we can go to any Thousand Trails for free or Encore RV sites at nominal fee. Reservations up to 180 days in advance.
This particular Thousand Trails site “Paradise RV Campground” is one of our favorites. Located down my Mayfield Lake. We typically get to it at least a couple times a year.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:33 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
I can honestly say towing with my 2016 F-150 is terrible. My camper weighs near 7,000 lbs loaded, and with the weight dist hitch it still doesn't like it. When you go into a turn it feels like it is going to push the rearend of the truck out.
If I put more weight on the truck it squats so bad. If I take weight off it spins the tires. I am so unhappy, and feel so unsafe, that I haven't pulled my camper more than 2X in the past couple yrs. Even pulling a light car trailer with 2 sideXsides on it is sketchy. I pulled a Kubota to camp, and it was white knuckle. A ford 600 tractor on a car trailer pushed the truck all over. The ECOBOOST has plenty of power though. The ecoboost is an animal, but the truck sucks.
I will not pull anything substantial with the kids in the truck, that is how bad I feel it's towing capabilities are. Even had the hitch set up both times I pulled the camper from the local RV shop.
Wish I would've rebuilt my 06 Superduty.
Edit, Ironically I'm now dating a girl who wants to use it all the time, and my option (with our kids) is to buy a truck I can't really afford, just to feel safe.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:08 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006lariat
I can honestly say towing with my 2016 F-150 is terrible. My camper weighs near 7,000 lbs loaded, and with the weight dist hitch it still doesn't like it. When you go into a turn it feels like it is going to push the rearend of the truck out.
If I put more weight on the truck it squats so bad. If I take weight off it spins the tires. I am so unhappy, and feel so unsafe, that I haven't pulled my camper more than 2X in the past couple yrs. Even pulling a light car trailer with 2 sideXsides on it is sketchy. I pulled a Kubota to camp, and it was white knuckle. A ford 600 tractor on a car trailer pushed the truck all over. The ECOBOOST has plenty of power though. The ecoboost is an animal, but the truck sucks.
I will not pull anything substantial with the kids in the truck, that is how bad I feel it's towing capabilities are. Even had the hitch set up both times I pulled the camper from the local RV shop.
Wish I would've rebuilt my 06 Superduty.
Edit, Ironically I'm now dating a girl who wants to use it all the time, and my option (with our kids) is to buy a truck I can't really afford, just to feel safe.

that's an awful light load to be having issues. I've read that a rear sway bar and airbags help the 150 out quite a bit. At least I think I read that. I'd check into it.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:05 AM
Skimr
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make no assumptions on the payload. See if you can find a comparable truck on the lot and read the yellow sticker. I had lots of surprises on my 2016 tundra and the weight of the trailer. Dry weight was ~4200 lbs, while actual was 5700 which was max trailer vehicle capacity. Dry tongue weight specs are 365, actuals are 700 or 550 with WDH. Adding canopy, nfab steps, spray in bed liner, emergency necessaries and passengers and dogs put me 600 lbs over payload. So just recommend you check closely and verify nbrs.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:30 PM
NWnative
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
It will tow like a Dream! You are well within spec. I tow with a 2016 at the upper end of my limits and it does just fine. the 3.5EB is a really nice motor for towing.

Quick Reply: Towing with 2018 F150