2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Resolved??? - Brand New-rust and oxidation - Photo heavy

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 10:57 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowman 8
Looks like it got driven through road salt and chloride and then got parked in a heated and possible humid garage for a long time. I’ve seen that on cars and trucks that sit a lot up here in Minnesota. I wouldn’t worry about it because everything ends up looking like that eventually up here. A good cleaning would get rid if the oxidation and I wouldn’t worry about the rust. The only thing I would worry about is if it was in a flood, salt water would be the only thing that would cause rust and oxidation.
Snowman is probably right. It is actually worse to drive a car on salted roads then park it inside your garage. Leaving it outside doesn't allow the snow/ice to melt and the water to evap which leaves a nice crusting coat of salt on your vehicle. There have actually been studies done to prove garaged cars in road salt states rust out quicker than those left outside.

All of that said, yeah, that's not normal. My rig is scheduled for delivery end of May and you can bet your six I am checking the undercarriage.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:12 AM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 346 Likes on 212 Posts
alarming to say the least. undercoating on top of the rust and corrosion is the last thing i would do. almost looks like it sat in a flood. even 15yo vehicles are not that bad. get rid of it imo

Old 04-14-2018, 11:13 AM
wicked 2018
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I would go straight to Ford corporate.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:25 AM
CJWaye
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is extremely excessive, my 2017 has 30k miles and looks nothing like that underneath AT ALL. It also came from Canada.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I saw a truck like that when I was shopping for my 2011 and it was exactly what Todd said above. The truck was put on a car transport and driven through a blizzard. The salty road spray blew all up into every corner of the truck...in many ways that would not happy if you were driving the truck.

If you can return, I would. If you can't.....I'd start treating the rust and painting the parts you can get to after a good wash with simple green.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Psmithzr1
Freshman User
Rust is totally unacceptable! I expect the underside to look as new as the outside or interior on a new truck.

If Ford does not take it back I would post those pictures on Ford's social media website so everyone can see the product that Ford is passing off as new.

I appreciate your post so I can make sure my new truck does not have this issue before I pay for it!

Good luck getting this resolved with Ford.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:50 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang! And I was concerned about a little rust forming on my tow hooks. My 2017 with 5K miles on it looks nothing like that underneath. And that's after an Alaskan winter.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:54 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Ford builds a fine product and I'm sure that truck looked brand new when it drove off the assembly line. Ford corporate however is not the bad guy here and certainly is under no obligation to take back a vehicle due to cosmetic rust on the bottom of the truck. This is on the dealership and solely the dealership. This isn't a warranty or faulty design issue it's due to circumstances beyond the control of Ford corporate. OP has to take some responsibility for not looking closer prior to closing the deal and ultimately it falls on the dealership to make the OP happy or not.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Agreed. This appears to be a dealership issue. *edit* I felt like a fool when I got on my back at the dealership and crawled around underneath my rig before I bought it. The sales guys and other people were gawking at me but hey... I wanted to verify the upgraded front end with the camper package was there and I wanted to see what the overloads on the rear looked like, etc. I did that to a number of trucks before buying this one and none of them looked like that underneath.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:56 AM
stewy604
Elder User
Definitely not normal. I too would be pissed.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:57 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If this truck was used I'd agree.
Being new, there is an expectation of NEW!!!

Old 04-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by blueglide
Ford builds a fine product and I'm sure that truck looked brand new when it drove off the assembly line. Ford corporate however is not the bad guy here and certainly is under no obligation to take back a vehicle due to cosmetic rust on the bottom of the truck. This is on the dealership and solely the dealership. This isn't a warranty or faulty design issue it's due to circumstances beyond the control of Ford corporate. OP has to take some responsibility for not looking closer prior to closing the deal and ultimately it falls on the dealership to make the OP happy or not.
Well said!

Old 04-14-2018, 12:02 PM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
300 miles on a brand new truck? Lots of test drives? Delivery from dealer to dealer? I think I would do everything that I could legally to return it.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:25 PM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger275
Unfortunately, the dealership is 200 miles away so just popping over isn't an option. I have showed them via pictures and am waiting to hear back from the GM.

And. No. I am not driving and posting.. thanks for looking out for me

i need to dig a little deeper, but I am not sure it is only cosmetic. If you look really close at the engine pics, you can see the rusting is all the way up to the top and covers the starter, alternator, wires, etc.

While I agree with your ideas, i really do not want a brand new truck that is already more work then my 1999 and 2003 trucks .Not what I expected from a 70-80k truck

Tiger,

NO, you do not "wait" for them to call you back. You call the GM today and make sure he received your email. You document that you called him. Get a piece of paper and start taking notes. Do not wait for them . They will drag it out until you just accept it. Call them now if they have not gotten back with you. If you want to be greased, become the sticky wheel.

Here is a hint, make sure you tell them you don't want to go the route of posting these pictures on Yelp and Google like other people would. You're and honest guy who wants to handle this out of the public domain. Whatever you do, don't wait. Engage Maverick, Engage.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:34 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 346 Likes on 212 Posts
theres something fishy. the amount of heavy rust and corrosion is unlike anything ive ever seen. even one of my 20yo trucks that drives through mud, snow, salt , gets washed only when it rains, doesnt have even a fraction of the corrosion rust the op truck has. its almost like they dragged it up from the titanic. the 300mi was from driving between dealers ?

Quick Reply: Resolved??? - Brand New-rust and oxidation - Photo heavy