What is the failure rate of Mishimoto replacement primary radiator for 6.7 power Stroke? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page > What is the failure rate of Mishimoto replacement primary radiator for 6.7 power Stroke?
Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the failure rate of Mishimoto replacement primary radiator for 6.7 power Stroke?

Old 04-13-2018, 05:14 PM
stambj
New User
stambj is starting off with a positive reputation.
What is the failure rate of Mishimoto replacement primary radiator for 6.7 power Stroke?

The FTE forum reported failures of the Mishimoto all metal replacement primary radiator raises the question of why to switch from the cheaper stock Ford plastic tank radiator to the more expensive Mishimoto option? Thoughts?

Old 04-14-2018, 07:21 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
The only reason I can think of is that Mishimoto has returned to the drawing board to change the design a couple of time to correct the problem. Ford has not. Another is that Mishimoto sends free replacements of failed units. Ford does not. I have no idea how the latest Mishi rads are doing.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:13 PM
willydmax
Senior User
willydmax is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would buy an aftermarket rad before I'd buy a Mishimoto. Aftermarket have great warranties and they are aware of the issues. I believe there are several that mention something like "strengthened design". I have a Mishimoto sitting in my shop out of a 08 6.4 that the customer got tired of having replaced. I believe he said Mishimoto replaced it several times under warranty and then refused after the 3rd time. So I went back in with an aftermarket. Just my $.02

Old 04-15-2018, 07:33 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
Originally Posted by willydmax View Post
I would buy an aftermarket rad before I'd buy a Mishimoto. Aftermarket have great warranties and they are aware of the issues. I believe there are several that mention something like "strengthened design". I have a Mishimoto sitting in my shop out of a 08 6.4 that the customer got tired of having replaced. I believe he said Mishimoto replaced it several times under warranty and then refused after the 3rd time. So I went back in with an aftermarket. Just my $.02
Mishimoto IS aftermarket. LOL!

Aftermarket (automotive), the addition of non-factory parts, accessories and upgrades to a motor vehicle also to include removal of parts after vehicle is placed on market

Old 04-15-2018, 08:34 AM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
So is Ford radiator is you have to buy a new one....it would then be aftermarket...LOL....right?...

No difference than buy at the local parts houses or the dealer "parts house"..lol....any replacement is not the original radiator....so aftermarket....lollllllll

Old 04-15-2018, 08:39 AM
lynnmor
Senior User
lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.lynnmor has a good reputation on FTE.
Didn't Ford change the mounting that eliminated one bolt? Anyone know for sure? One time I read that and haven't heard anything since.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:48 AM
David7.3
The Lost One
David7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to beholdDavid7.3 is a splendid one to behold
I have run into that problem with the 6.7 radiators, the ford replacement is missing a mounting bolt, the flange does not have the tab for the bolt to go thru. Revision? problem solved? or just because it is easier to install without the tab sticking out. Not sure why it was done, never got an answer from ford, but after installing a half dozen of them into township trucks F-550's, I got the replacement time down to less then 2 hours. We cannot use aftermarket so not sure how they come. But after the initial replacement we have not had any problems with the new from ford radiators.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 AM
stambj
New User
stambj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the in

Thanks for the discussion. Which “aftermarket” radiators have you installed & how much time/miles since the install of either aftermarket or Ford radiators?

Old 04-15-2018, 11:42 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.swarf_rat has a good reputation on FTE.
Moer importantly, which bolt should I remove from my OEM radiator so I will not develop the problem?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 AM
willydmax
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Mishimoto IS aftermarket. LOL!

Aftermarket (automotive), the addition of non-factory parts, accessories and upgrades to a motor vehicle also to include removal of parts after vehicle is placed on market
Well looks like I should have reread my post before I posted it LOL! I think you got the point though that I'm not really a fan of Mishimoto and would recommend about anything else. I've installed both Ford OEM and other brands in these trucks and can't really say there appears to be much difference. I'm curious how the aftermarket rads will hold up that I've installed.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:33 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
Originally Posted by willydmax View Post
Well looks like I should have reread my post before I posted it LOL! I think you got the point though that I'm not really a fan of Mishimoto and would recommend about anything else. I've installed both Ford OEM and other brands in these trucks and can't really say there appears to be much difference. I'm curious how the aftermarket rads will hold up that I've installed.
The Mishi 6.7L rads have not had a good track record, but the rest of their products are supposed to be top notch. From a previous post, it sounds like Ford fixed the problem by eliminating one supportive connection. I would guess that if we knew which connection that was, we could eliminate the problem ourselves just by removing that bolt.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
Appears you can buy a Ford "over the counter" radiator(s) for about half the price of the radiators at AutoZone or Advance or.....

Old 04-16-2018, 09:16 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
Appears you can buy a Ford "over the counter" radiator(s) for about half the price of the radiators at AutoZone or Advance or.....
What do you base that on? Have you price shopped? It sounds like the one from Ford may actually address the problem.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 PM
willydmax
Senior User
The actual mounting bolts are at the top of the rad. There's a big rubber bushing on each side that is clamped with a metal strap with 2 bolts in each one. At the lower end the rad sits in two rubber mounted holes. I don't see that eliminating a bolt somewhere is going to resolve the issue. There are several small bolts down lower but they are to fasten the fan shroud to the rad. Call me skeptical.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:58 PM
Just Strokin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
What do you base that on? Have you price shopped? It sounds like the one from Ford may actually address the problem.
Primary radiator......$456.03

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...OC1kaWVzZWw%3D

Secondary radiator.......$418.52

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...OC1kaWVzZWw%3D

Advanced Primary

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...022%7CL3*15952

Advanced Secondary

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...339/11137310-P