Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.9l swapped into 78 f150 4x4 TWIN turbo!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:31 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Sounds like a good deal on those parts. For the turbo, parallel or compound? Why twin when one turbo can feed all an IDI can reasonably take and spool more quickly then the "stock" kits?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:14 PM
TurboSurge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to twin it because no one else has done it. If I can’t find another HX35 around here for cheap I guess I’ll just run one until I find another. I’m looking to run 25-30PSI

Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 PM
TurboSurge
New User

Here’s the turbos. I have rebuild kits on the way and I’m going to get them all cleaned and boxes for someone to buy. Also, I attached an updated pic of my intake manifold. Tomorrow I’m going to start welding them up for the turbo set up. I also lasered put some 3/8 flanges for my custom exhaust manifolds. Being able to build this stuff at a manufacturing shop really helps out. The fact that I only have to pay scrap price for the stainless is nice too! 👍🏼

Old 04-17-2018, 07:37 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 325 Likes on 280 Posts
Why not consider running two different turbo chargers? Isn't that what International did with the 6.4l PSD? I thought combining a small turbo with a large turbo minimizes turbo lag...

Old 04-17-2018, 09:11 AM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by TurboSurge
I want to twin it because no one else has done it. If I can’t find another HX35 around here for cheap I guess I’ll just run one until I find another. I’m looking to run 25-30PSI
That's not a very good reason for doing something. Doing it twice makes no sense either unless your time is worth nothing to you. Your goals should be power or performance related, not arbitrary numbers. Also, 25-30 psi is likely more than is prudent to push through a 6.9. I believe Justin did some testing with a 6.9 and had failures around that level and with various expensive stud materials. IIRC the issues were effectively unresolvable as the 6.9 block became the weak link (pulling threads out of the block with 7/16" studs, not enough meat to go up to 1/2" and 9/16" too big for some other reason or cost prohibitive compared to using a 7.3 block).

Old 04-18-2018, 12:09 AM
TurboSurge
New User
The reason I’m going to is because people have talked about it but no one has ever actually made it happen. I am still waiting for my studs and gaskets but in the mean time, I’ve been doing some research on different pump setups and I’m not 100% positive my crazy idea will work but after I talk to a guy and move forward I’ll let y’all know. As for my turbo setup, I have set on two HY35W’s.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:55 AM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
What do you hope to gain over a single properly sized and specced turbo? What are your HP/torque goals? How are your goals for how you use the truck?

Old 04-18-2018, 05:09 PM
77F250Diesel
Senior User
I used 2" Skyjacker coils up front on mine and there holding the weight just fine.
The 6.9 will fit but it's tight, the oil filter ends up right over the pumpkin, so that you have to address, the front to back clearance in the engine compartment is tight.
You can't shift the motor forward because of clearance to the radiator which leaves very little room for the down pipe on the passenger side rear.
The passenger floor pan has to have a "bump" built into it to clear the down pipe.

I can't imagine how your going to fit two turbo's in along with the associated piping and the end result might be a maintenance nightmare.
I'd take the advise that you've been given here and stick with a single turbo.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:33 PM
mroth2008
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a cool project, single would be easier like everyone said, but twin's are still cool, with the 6.9 head studs and low compression and it will survive, for a while. With all those turbos you got quite a selection, I have a gt5518 sitting in my garage only weighs about 85 lbs it's massive though came off a c15 was its low pressure charger, traded a hx35 off 6.7 industrial engine straight across for it. Your intake you plan on plumbing one side into each half of the engine? Plans for an intercooler?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:42 PM
TurboSurge
New User
I plan on getting some bags off a semi and bagging all 4 corners with a stainless 4 link and replacing my front track bar with SS. Also I’m going to removed the leafs and front strut bars and laser out some design that I’ll weld over SS bars. I plan on using this bad boy as a DD and just as an awesome build project that will get decent mpg but haul A$$ when I want it to. Eventually I plan on dropping a DT360 into it with a 390 big cam Cummins IP conversation but that is down the road. I’d like to at least hit bout 400-500 HP and maybe 700-800 LBSFT.

77F250– what did you do for your motor mounts?? I need specs cause I won’t have a lot of lift time so if I can prefab them before I go to drop it in I would rather that. Also, the oil filter, could a smaller filter with an external that is elsewhere be used, I have an external from my 390 BCC (White Motor Company litter spreader) that I was thinking of using if the small filter for the factory location is doable.

Also, I have a 400 in there right now and it seems like there is pretty good room but yes, when the twins are in there with that diesel I’m sure they will be a little tight. I am going to do away with the Fan though and run two large electric fans so that should free up some room. Depending on how much, I might be able to scoot my core support close to the engine as to have more clearance for the twin Intercoolers. They will have 3” in/ out and be 4 row if it’ll fit but 3 row if not. As far as the routing? Yes, I am working on my intake manifolds and I think I should have them finished by tomorrow afternoon. I am going to route the drivers side to its own IC and than back on the passenger side into the passenger intake bank. The passenger side will run to its own IC and than back into the drivers side Intake bank. I feel like it would be cleaner looking and maybe balance the engine out a little better. This setup should have minimal lag and a great band for fun town driving. Now onto the IP part I was thinking of. My brother in law owns a CNC machine shop and I took a DB2 over to him today to take a look see at what could be done. What we are thinking is, bore and stroke. He could bore it to fit Maybe DS4 plungers or DB4’s or heck even larger ones. Also, a buddy of mine builds racing lawnmowers and he uses a stock engine and essentially bores and stroke them. He told me of a company that could take the cam from the IP and maybe do a regrind or even a custom cam to allow more flow. I haven’t had many of these DB2’s apart but I know Racinndrummin has and also NMB2. What do y’all think of the feasibility of the IP mod? I’ll look more into it but if it works, maybe I’ll have a way to create a different route for a modded IDI pump. NOT TO HURT RnD’s business!! Only to offer another alternative for fueling on the IDI’s.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:00 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 325 Likes on 280 Posts
What do y’all think of the feasibility of the IP mod?

Not to be a stick in the mud, but that is just as daunting as installing twin turbos!

The Stanadyne DB2 IP is a nightmare. Have you seen the manual or disassembled one? I think their complexity is why R&D and Conestoga are the only two high-quality rebuild houses mentioned again and again on our website.

Here's step one. Check it out!

http://www.stanadyne.com/dealerporta...nual/99523.pdf

Old 04-19-2018, 11:30 AM
77F250Diesel
Senior User
I plan on getting some bags off a semi and bagging all 4 corners with a stainless 4 link and replacing my front track bar with SS. Also I’m going to removed the leafs and front strut bars and laser out some design that I’ll weld over SS bars. I plan on using this bad boy as a DD and just as an awesome build project that will get decent mpg but haul A$$ when I want it to. Eventually I plan on dropping a DT360 into it with a 390 big cam Cummins IP conversation but that is down the road. I’d like to at least hit bout 400-500 HP and maybe 700-800 LBSFT.

77F250– what did you do for your motor mounts?? I need specs cause I won’t have a lot of lift time so if I can prefab them before I go to drop it in I would rather that. Also, the oil filter, could a smaller filter with an external that is elsewhere be used, I have an external from my 390 BCC (White Motor Company litter spreader) that I was thinking of using if the small filter for the factory location is doable.

Also, I have a 400 in there right now and it seems like there is pretty good room but yes, when the twins are in there with that diesel I’m sure they will be a little tight. I am going to do away with the Fan though and run two large electric fans so that should free up some room. Depending on how much, I might be able to scoot my core support close to the engine as to have more clearance for the twin Intercoolers. They will have 3” in/ out and be 4 row if it’ll fit but 3 row if not. As far as the routing? Yes, I am working on my intake manifolds and I think I should have them finished by tomorrow afternoon. I am going to route the drivers side to its own IC and than back on the passenger side into the passenger intake bank. The passenger side will run to its own IC and than back into the drivers side Intake bank. I feel like it would be cleaner looking and maybe balance the engine out a little better. This setup should have minimal lag and a great band for fun town driving. Now onto the IP part I was thinking of. My brother in law owns a CNC machine shop and I took a DB2 over to him today to take a look see at what could be done. What we are thinking is, bore and stroke. He could bore it to fit Maybe DS4 plungers or DB4’s or heck even larger ones. Also, a buddy of mine builds racing lawnmowers and he uses a stock engine and essentially bores and stroke them. He told me of a company that could take the cam from the IP and maybe do a regrind or even a custom cam to allow more flow. I haven’t had many of these DB2’s apart but I know Racinndrummin has and also NMB2. What do y’all think of the feasibility of the IP mod? I’ll look more into it but if it works, maybe I’ll have a way to create a different route for a modded IDI pump. NOT TO HURT RnD’s business!! Only to offer another alternative for fueling on the IDI’s.
The motor mounts have to be fabricated, meaning you have to fit the motor then design your mounts.
From everything that your talking abt. doing I see a lack of experience on your part at handling a project of this magnitude.
You cannot compare the size of the 400 to the 6.9.
If your going to build a high performance motor you want more oil filtration not less, Summit has a remote mount twin filter setup that uses 2 FL1A fiters, toss the rubber hose and use braided hose w/an fittings.
Electric fans will gain you next to nothing in clearance and their ability to keep the motor cool is questionable.
The radiator support also supports the inner and outer fenders so moving it will require extensive modifications.
Good luck trying to fit twin ICs and the associated piping.

I think you have to come down to earth and start realizing that some things have not been done because they are not doable or it just doesn't make sense.
You can build yourself a really nice truck if you start looking at it a bit different.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:17 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
I plan on using this bad boy as a DD and just as an awesome build project that will get decent mpg but haul A$$ when I want it to. Eventually I plan on dropping a DT360 into it with a 390 big cam Cummins IP conversation but that is down the road. I’d like to at least hit bout 400-500 HP and maybe 700-800 LBSFT.
Why even bother with an IDI build if you're just going to change it? Seems like a waste of time and money that could be put into the DT360 project. You'll be into the IDI at least $5k, likely a lot more for the extra turbo and elaborate design, and of course a lot of time as well. Beyond that, 400-500 HP may be asking a lot from the IDI and might be past what is feasible with 7/16 head fasteners. If you're going to do an IDI I think a 7.3 is a better way to start. IDIs are not cheap to build to that level. Much above 400 HP and you'll be needing stronger rods, which fortunately are available now (R&D IDI converted 7.3 PSD Connecting rods for N/A pin Size (6.9 and 7.3 Non-Turbo)). Rods are a weak link, but stronger rods are available for your build.

the oil filter, could a smaller filter with an external that is elsewhere be used, I have an external from my 390 BCC (White Motor Company litter spreader) that I was thinking of using if the small filter for the factory location is doable.
I'm sure there are remote filter adapters for this size and thread. I have a remote filter on my 460 to clear the 351w crossmember. Filter is mounted on the passenger side frame rail behind the rad support, using a regular 460 filter, though of course you could use a filter head for whatever filter you prefer.

twin Intercoolers. They will have 3” in/ out and be 4 row if it’ll fit but 3 row if not. As far as the routing? Yes, I am working on my intake manifolds and I think I should have them finished by tomorrow afternoon. I am going to route the drivers side to its own IC and than back on the passenger side into the passenger intake bank. The passenger side will run to its own IC and than back into the drivers side Intake bank.
I don't know about running half an engine on one turbo and the other half on another, never was big into forced induction, but I would consider a balance tube in case exhaust design or some other factor ends up with different pressure on each side.

[/QUOTE]Now onto the IP part I was thinking of. My brother in law owns a CNC machine shop and I took a DB2 over to him today to take a look see at what could be done. What we are thinking is, bore and stroke. He could bore it to fit Maybe DS4 plungers or DB4’s or heck even larger ones. Also, a buddy of mine builds racing lawnmowers and he uses a stock engine and essentially bores and stroke them. He told me of a company that could take the cam from the IP and maybe do a regrind or even a custom cam to allow more flow. I haven’t had many of these DB2’s apart but I know Racinndrummin has and also NMB2. What do y’all think of the feasibility of the IP mod? I’ll look more into it but if it works, maybe I’ll have a way to create a different route for a modded IDI pump. NOT TO HURT RnD’s business!! Only to offer another alternative for fueling on the IDI’s.
[/QUOTE]

More options are great, but there's a reason there are only two operations doing serious high output DB2 pumps. Be ready to invest a lot of time and money into this, and be ready to fail. Decide if this is a business endeavor or a racing project.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:33 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 04-19-2018, 03:23 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
I'll also say 450 HP is a very cheap 460 build. If you want 700-800 ft/lbs that may take a 545 to get there (though you'll spend more than the 545 crank and rods for IDI rods, studs, and other bits), but 600 ft/lbs is a very mild 460 build. You could have a much better performing 460 for a fraction of the cost as a drop in deal with no fabrication or complexity. This makes even more sense if you plan to put a DT360 in this truck at some point.

Quick Reply: 6.9l swapped into 78 f150 4x4 TWIN turbo!!