Chassis Gurus, I ask for your advice. - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Chassis Gurus, I ask for your advice.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:35 PM
yamagrant
Postmaster
yamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputationyamagrant has a superb reputation
IMHO, That frame is not safe. Either sub-frame it or find another frame. I could be wrong, but it would look for an alternative option. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:58 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Hey Superchunk
I think with a little digging you may find a better frame to put your project on.
Example below is from Conway, Arkansas - rolling chassis plus cab for $500.
It's a hike from your home in Florida but could be done in a long weekend.
https://littlerock.craigslist.org/ct...548627226.html

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-14-2018, 09:04 PM
ben73058
Postmaster
ben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to beholdben73058 is a splendid one to behold
Here is one in St. Pete - 1951 Project truck... $900.
Full chassis, cab, & bed... a lot of good parts.
https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...559621302.html

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-14-2018, 09:31 PM
BlueOvalRage
Posting Guru
BlueOvalRage has a very good reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a very good reputation on FTE.BlueOvalRage has a very good reputation on FTE.
That last one that Pete posted is a really good deal. When you figure the expense of buying and shipping a replacement crossmember and then the serious time and effort that it will take to rebuild those crusty rails, $900 is dirt cheap.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:17 AM
suprchunk
Freshman User
suprchunk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ben73058 View Post
Here is one in St. Pete - 1951 Project truck... $900.
Full chassis, cab, & bed... a lot of good parts.
https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d...559621302.html

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Good looking out buddy. I've searched a bunch on Craigslist, but you must be the search guru. I can definitely get on board with one of those.

I appreciate the help and will let you all know how it goes.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:11 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.raytasch has a spectacular reputation.
Matt, of course, you're aware of the location of the serial number on the frame and the problems with getting a title in FL? Just so you have a plan.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:45 AM
suprchunk
Freshman User
Ray,

I've looked at the usual spots, still have some cleaning on the pass. side to do, but have yet to locate the frame serial.

What issues have you run into for titling? The lady on base at the county tax office said I only need the bill of sale (which I have from the guy) and a signed affidavit (form HSMV 82050). This is all in Section 319.23(3)(a)(2)(c) of FL statute.

Did you have more trouble? I know in Texas I had a hell of a time getting an old car titled, so I just sent it off to Broadway title for a few hundred and had it titled that way.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:29 AM
suprchunk
Freshman User
Dang, took a ton of sanding and wirebrushing, but I found it. Barely legible. And not really stamped deep.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 PM
suprchunk
Freshman User
Originally Posted by raytasch View Post
Matt, of course, you're aware of the location of the serial number on the frame and the problems with getting a title in FL? Just so you have a plan.

Got the title last week. Bonded, but can clear that in 3 years...which might be how long I'll be at this build.

I've been mulling over some options, unless/until I find a suitable replacement, and have thought about boxing the frame (at least up front), repairing the lower section of the channel when I do, and welding in a new crossmember. I can relocate the mounts either on the new crossmember or fab some up?

Does this sound doable?

I can even go the IFS route to get rid of some of the ailing suspension components that might end up totaling the same.

If all else fails I'll splurge, after getting a job since retirement doesn't pay that well, and get a complete roller chassis. Yikes!

Also waiting to hear back on the case from magnafluxing. They said two days...two weeks ago.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.