Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Comparing tunes from several different tuners

Old 04-12-2018, 07:55 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Comparing tunes from several different tuners

I am starting a new thread to focus on the tunes and close the turbo thread since the discussion is a new topic.

Truck info from signature for those using mobile view.
Swamps Stage 2 Split Shot Injectors - PHP Hydra- Gearhead, 1023, and Swamps tunes - CSD T4 mount - Borg Warner 364.5 SXE (13009097055) with 1.0 housing (179905) - Donaldson Blue 6637 - LUK 07-155 Clutch - Detroit Locker - 4.10 gears - 2008 FORD tow mirrors - CM flatbed - Truck/camper 24K - Truck/equipment trailer 18k empty 26k loaded never 26000.000001

Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
Here we go .Multiple tunes all from today. not all apples to apples but I tried. I have my opinions from how they "feel" and the data.

Keep in mind this weighs 9500 with just me in it.

Tune #02 on the hydra Tuner #1 light tow or economy Gearhead Automotive
Boost 33 or 34

Tune #02 on the hydra Tuner #1 light tow or economy Gearhead Automotive
Boost 33 or 34

Tune #03 on the hydra Tuner #1 street daily Gearhead Automotive
Boost 33 or 34

Tune #13 on the hydra Tuner #2 medium tow 1023 Diesel
Boost 30 or 32

Tune #14 on the hydra Tuner #2 light tow or economy Ran out of road and had to back off. 1023 Diesel
Boost 30

EDIT adding another and tuner from this morning.

Tune #09 on the hydra Tuner #3 light tow Swamps Diesel
Boost unknown tripped ses light.

Tune #09 on the hydra Tuner #3 light tow Swamps Diesel
Boost 27 and climbing when I looked away at egt 1000

Old 04-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Out of all of that, pay close attention to two lines - the red one (ICP) and the green one (FIPW). They are mirror images of each other at WOT - with the centerline for the green line being right around 30 (3ms FIPW). When the FIPW goes long in each of these, the ICP suffers. ICP is the real fuel pressure - the permagrin enhancer.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:22 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tugly
Out of all of that, pay close attention to two lines - the red one (ICP) and the green one (FIPW). They are mirror images of each other at WOT - with the centerline for the green line being right around 30 (3ms FIPW). When the FIPW goes long in each of these, the ICP suffers. ICP is the real fuel pressure - the permagrin enhancer.

Yep I was really surprised the FIPW was as high as it is in a "light tow" tune from tuner #1 That is who I have been running normally. Need to try out the other 2 more and see how they feel during normal driving.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:08 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts
Brandon , out of all those tunes you have, which do you like best for heavy towing? looking to venture out from DP tunes. was looking at getting hydra with 1023 tunes but wasn't sure if it is just a fad going on right now

Old 04-12-2018, 05:34 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
It's not a fad, it's an exodus.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:47 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Swamps stage II split shot is a stock injector with a 30% nozzle. There's no benefit or added power to FIPW approaching or going over 4ms. It's already emptied the injector by then and the only result you get is lower ICP as the HPOP struggles to hold the injectors open that long. The reality is you end up with lower injection pressure which can in some instances increase EGT's, smoke, and actually reduce power a bit. You'll notice that between the tunes over 4 ms vs the ones close to 3 ms, the acceleration from ~43mph to ~62mph are all almost identical. Meaning the higher FIPW isn't helping at all. Rough estimate, you're capped out at 3.3ms. Going over that starts to increase your IPR duty cycle and ICP begins to drop.

What would be curious is to see peak EGT on identical runs between those tunes to see temp differences. Of course it would be nice knowing that timing was identical for each, but I still have my money on 3.3ms or less running slightly cooler than over 4ms.

It's fun datalogging and doing comparisons.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:25 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Pocket
Swamps stage II split shot is a stock injector with a 30% nozzle. There's no benefit or added power to FIPW approaching or going over 4ms. It's already emptied the injector by then and the only result you get is lower ICP as the HPOP struggles to hold the injectors open that long. The reality is you end up with lower injection pressure which can in some instances increase EGT's, smoke, and actually reduce power a bit. You'll notice that between the tunes over 4 ms vs the ones close to 3 ms, the acceleration from ~43mph to ~62mph are all almost identical. Meaning the higher FIPW isn't helping at all. Rough estimate, you're capped out at 3.3ms. Going over that starts to increase your IPR duty cycle and ICP begins to drop.

What would be curious is to see peak EGT on identical runs between those tunes to see temp differences. Of course it would be nice knowing that timing was identical for each, but I still have my money on 3.3ms or less running slightly cooler than over 4ms.

It's fun datalogging and doing comparisons.
I'll see what I can do. Any guesses which tuner is 1 2 3 ?

Edit
Thank you for your analysis. That is exactly what I was hoping for.

As for the injectors I bought them used cheap. The seller didn't know what they were exactly just that they were remans from swamps so I took a gamble. Either 400 or 500 is what I paid

Another edit
Now that I think about it I'm 99% sure that the tunes with longer FIPW ran a little more egt. Like 50 degrees .

Old 04-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,439 Likes on 2,839 Posts
Any guesses which tuner is 1 2 3 ?
PHP?

What about the others, who did the tune for those?

Old 04-13-2018, 07:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Tune 13 and tune 14 come close, but they all miss the mark. It's a very basic rule: Whichever tune gives the best ICP and holds it without the IPR escalating - that's a balanced tune with minimal EGTs. I can't speak to Start Of Injection (timing), because that little nugget isn't available to us over the OBDII port.

Cody has written a tow tune for me that locks on to 3000 ICP like glue, and my IPR never ever went above 42% with ANY of his tunes. With the race tune, the engine shreds tires and has bent metal (pre-traction bars) - but the FIPW never reaches 3 ms, let alone surpass that line.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:21 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Shame that the tunes we all would like to have will never be publicly available. It is what it is...

Old 04-13-2018, 08:10 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Updated first post to name who is who. I am also open to try other options if someone wants to write me a file.

I have really only towed with the Gearhead tunes. Need to try the 1023 and Swamps towing. When I installed my injectors I had Gearhead and Swamps tunes made for them. The Gearhead had a touch less smoke so I went with them and based my decision on that part alone. Now I am going back to make an informed decision.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Pocket
Swamps stage II split shot is a stock injector with a 30% nozzle. There's no benefit or added power to FIPW approaching or going over 4ms. It's already emptied the injector by then .
Question on nozzle percent sizing 30 percent what exactly. 30% more area or 30% larger diameter

Can we calculate how an injector will act if we know all the specs?
XX volume with YY nozzle hole size at ZZ icp = ?? FIPW needed to empty fuel
XX FIPW with YY nozzle hole size at ZZ icp = ?? volume of fuel delivered

Old 04-13-2018, 10:54 AM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What are you using to collect data?

The more I read the more I think my tunes need some work.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:57 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
The worst part about seeing the GH tunes running such high FIPW for me is on a personal level. I have learned how to drive my truck on the GH tunes and when I tried the 1023 tunes recently they did seem faster and more power, but in a manual truck they drove differently. Shift points were different, acceleration was different, coasting was initiated at different times, etc...

It seems I need to figure out what I am doing with my turbo, log some data and possibly relearn how to drive my truck all over again on the 1023 tunes.

Now I kind of feel like a jackass for promoting GH tunes for the past couple years. I guess for the uniformed PSD owner they are as good as any other.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:11 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by beef ****
What are you using to collect data?

The more I read the more I think my tunes need some work.
Torque Pro on my cheap giant tablet.

Originally Posted by Sous
The worst part about seeing the GH tunes running such high FIPW for me is on a personal level. I have learned how to drive my truck on the GH tunes and when I tried the 1023 tunes recently they did seem faster and more power, but in a manual truck they drove differently. Shift points were different, acceleration was different, coasting was initiated at different times, etc...

It seems I need to figure out what I am doing with my turbo, log some data and possibly relearn how to drive my truck all over again on the 1023 tunes.

Now I kind of feel like a jackass for promoting GH tunes for the past couple years. I guess for the uniformed PSD owner they are as good as any other.
Keep in mind this was just a few wot examples. here is a partial throttle in the same tune towing and it may be a better representation of the tune overall. keeping the go pedal at 75% or less everything looks better........ not saying that is the plan or makes it ok... also I am at 22000 lbs in a "light tow" tune

I want to log several different vendors at partial and full throttle towing and not to try and see a little more of the picture. I am not sure a WOT run is the snapshot I should be looking at...

Brought the camper home Saturday. Drove easy only went about 10 miles. Did a little logging. keep in mind boost readings are hitting the limit of my regulator

Accelerating 1st 2nd 3rd 4th. Boost ebp fairly 1:1 I think I was hitting the regulator here. seems to max out at 20 or 21 when boost comes up slowly. will max around 23 24 if it comes up quickly.

Uphill acceleration in OD FIPW a little high I think. MORE BOOST THAN EBP

....................snip..............

Edit

Sous I agree and am surprised of some of my results. I spoke with Gearhead when I got these tunes about the differences between tunes for standard injectors and my splits with larger nozzles. Part of the difference is less FIPW in my tunes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comparing tunes from several different tuners