Girl looking for advice on first truck... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page > Girl looking for advice on first truck...
Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Girl looking for advice on first truck...

Old 04-11-2018, 04:18 PM
clueless101
New User
clueless101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Red face Girl looking for advice on first truck...

Hi all,

Looking for some help from some pros! Sorry if this is the 143020th thread like this this week...
I'm a Canadian girl looking for a reliable diesel truck to tow my horses. I've driven trucks for work and have always been partial to Fords.. That being said, I'm essentially mechanically clueless.

I have a fairly tight budget of under $10,000CAD, so obviously looking for used capable of safely towing 10,000 lbs (do I need a "tow package" or can I just get a hitch insalled?)
Any recommendations on year, model, mileage and what to look out for in terms of wear? Leaning F250 or F350...

Would be much appreciated

Cheers!

Old 04-11-2018, 06:12 PM
dtherrien
Senior User
dtherrien is starting off with a positive reputation.
I dont think you should limit yourself to just a diesel. At your budget that could be costly in repairs. But if you could find a well maintained 7.3 from 1999 through 2003.
Or look for a v10 gas.
Depending on what you can find..,..the most you will need is a weight distribution hitch. Sadly at $10k you should plan on putting money into whatever you find

Old 04-11-2018, 06:19 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.speakerfritz is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i dont think 10K will get you a reliable diesel

whats the total weight of the trailer and horses?

can a v-10 dually with 4.11 rear do the job???

Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 PM
texastech_diesel
Disgruntled Texan
texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
For that price you're looking at much older years. I'll third finding a V10 gasser, preferably in a dually to get the best gears for towing, and because when hauling livestock you can't always load the trailers the best for ideal weight distribution.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:45 AM
clueless101
New User
Thanks guys! I agree, tight budget! But I've found a few 2005s with around 275k km on them... See below. Rather try to find diesel for the obvious re-sale and fuel efficiency perks...

What are your thoughts on these, am I missing something?! I can deal with some body work.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/peterborough/2005-6-0-powerstroke-bulletproofed/1345850744?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/2006-ford-super-duty-f-250-rwd-diesel-8-box-powerstroke/1332145302?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Thanks!
Clem

Old 04-12-2018, 07:41 AM
Tom14032
Junior User
Tom14032 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by clueless101 View Post
Thanks guys! I agree, tight budget! But I've found a few 2005s with around 275k km on them... See below. Rather try to find diesel for the obvious re-sale and fuel efficiency perks...

What are your thoughts on these, am I missing something?! I can deal with some body work.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/peterborough/2005-6-0-powerstroke-bulletproofed/1345850744?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/2006-ford-super-duty-f-250-rwd-diesel-8-box-powerstroke/1332145302?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Thanks!
Clem
I see you are leaning toward a 6.0? The best advise I can give is to take a knowledgeable person on 6.0's with you. If this thing wasn't maintained properly you will be investing more than the asking price in repairs. The last two links are the same truck? Looks like he invested a lot in that 6.0. If it is what he sais, That is a fantastic deal. Definitely take someone with you who knows 6.0's though !

Old 04-12-2018, 10:25 AM
adman02
Freshman User
adman02 is starting off with a positive reputation.
FWIW, I recently bought my first truck for the purposes of hauling a 31' travel trailer. Some of the tidbits I picked up along the way are:
  • Diesels like to work and work hard; short trips around town are brutal on the engines
  • Diesels get better gas mileage and have more power, but the savings are negligible when you factor in repair costs (see next bullet point)
  • I'm a Ford guy and even I'll admit that the 6.0 and 6.4 have terrible reputations (google 6.0 weak points and 6.4 weak points); it has a lot to do with the government mandated emissions controls, but regardless the repairs are often in the thousands of dollars (unless you do it yourself) and are more a case of WHEN not IF
  • The 6.0 and 6.4 can be bullet-proofed, but (IMO) it's a band-aid; from the factory, these engines were ticking time bombs AND that doesn't even factor in how the engine was maintained or how the truck was driven by previous owners
  • WHEN your truck breaks down, do you know of a decent diesel mechanic? Will your budget allow for the cost of a tow to the shop and the parts and the labor? Can you do without your truck for a week or two?
I'm sure lots of people have lots of great experiences with diesels and I still would like to own one, but for now I went with a gasser ('11 F250 CC 6.2L) and couldn't be happier.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:28 AM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
You don't say what part of Canada you are in, but around here resale on that age of Ford diesel trucks is awful, because most of them have had issues. Some have been repaired, but most for sale cheap haven't been, and the seller is just hoping to get through the test drive without an issue so they can unload it.

I've lived this situation and my conclusion was that in that price range, it was incredibly risky to buy a diesel.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:02 AM
clueless101
New User
Thanks guys! Really appreciate it.. Guess I'll stick to gas, they're definitely cheaper so I've got more options..
So I should be looking for a V10 gas truck? Any other details to look for in gas trucks? Lower mileage would probably be a good idea...?

PS. I'm in Ontario, fewer trucks around than in the prairies..

Old 04-12-2018, 11:45 AM
sxrfun
Senior User
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hello to a fellow Ontarian :-). What part? As has been said....go with someone knowledgeable to look at truck...or take to a shop you trust and have it gone over from top to bottom. Depending on weight of trailer and horses etc, as others have said a gasser may be a viable option for sure.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:35 PM
DogRidesInBack
Elder User
DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.DogRidesInBack is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
For gas=powered towing, I would favor the V10.

I suggest starting a thread in that engine section of the forum to learn about which years have known issue/problems, and which years have better towing torque. Unfortunately, I do not have those answers for you, but at least I know there are some questions to ask about that engine.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:28 PM
Diamnd1
Elder User
Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Gas V10. 2 valve head engine look for 2003-04 year models. 3 valve head V10 has more power and has the better auto trans. Year models 05-10. Try to find a late 08 year build if possible. They have the 1 piece spark plug. Happy hunting.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:29 PM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
V10 trucks are like hens teeth around here. More likely to find it in a service body f550 or something from a utility fleet I would love one but not for basically same price as the much newer 6. 2L trucks.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:54 PM
dtherrien
Senior User
dtherrien is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you have the money and youre not in a rush to buy....you will eventually come across a decent truck.
Overall i think you will be happier with a gas motor.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 PM
FarmerJon
New User
FarmerJon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.FarmerJon is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I love my diesels but for your situation and budget I would suggest getting the newest F250 or F350 gasser you can afford. A v10 or 6.2. If you haul more than 2 horses and/or a large living quarters a dually is alot more stable. Good luck and enjoy your horses

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.