Which EGT sensors to monitor on my 2018 when towing? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Which EGT sensors to monitor on my 2018 when towing?

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 04-11-2018, 05:04 PM
hlozano
Senior User
hlozano is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hlozano is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Ive read somewhere on these forums that EGT 1 (pre DOC) and EGT 4 (Post DPF) is what I should be monitoring. When my truck went into regen today I noticed EGT 4 got up to 1157 while EGT 1 got up to 813.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Braggs
Senior User
Braggs has a good reputation on FTE.Braggs has a good reputation on FTE.
I've got all 4 EGT sensors up on my tablet running Torque Pro. What you want to monitor constantly is up to you. After watching mine for a few regens, I noticed they way you drive the vehicle has little to do with EGT during regen. You don't need to "lock out 6th gear" like some people say. Doesn't do anything. The temp does fall a little while stopped at stoplights, however, so keep driving til it's done.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:32 PM
Painted Horse
Postmaster
Painted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant futurePainted Horse has a brilliant future
For Towing, EGT1 is what you want to watch. That is how hot the gases are that are exiting the engine.
EGT4 is the temps in the exhaust pipe and reflects your Active regen temps.
During a regen you will temps in the mid 1100

Old 04-13-2018, 07:15 AM
hlozano
Senior User
hlozano is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.hlozano is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
For Towing, EGT1 is what you want to watch. That is how hot the gases are that are exiting the engine.
EGT4 is the temps in the exhaust pipe and reflects your Active regen temps.
During a regen you will temps in the mid 1100
Thank you. What's the maximum temp I should set the alarm for EGT 1? On my 2008 6.4 I believe 1200deg was when I backed off the throttle when towing. I've read the 6.7's is closer to 1500 deg.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:57 AM
djousma
Posting Guru
djousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to beholddjousma is a splendid one to behold
In my opinion, if you are not tuning the truck, there is no need to set any alarms. The truck will regulate itself just fine. Just hammer down, and away you go. This 6.7L is nothing like the 6.0L and 6.4L of old. I also use Torque Pro, and while I do have all 4 EGT sensors showing, its more out of curiosity than anything else. I tend to keep closer eye on coolant temps, tire pressures than anythng else. There is nothing on TP that I feel I *need* to watch.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:43 AM
hlozano
Senior User
I hear you. I towed for several years in my 2008 6.4 without monitoring anything until I got it tuned. Unfortunately, I didn't really have any baselines to compare. I've never been someone that hammered down even after tuning my 6.4. The only reason I want to monitor my new truck is because I see too many trucks pulling RV's on the side of the highway. Mostly in the Smokey Mountains or in Alabama when it's over 100 degrees outside. I've seen a mix between the 3 big truck manufacturers. Granted, I don't know anything about if their trucks are tuned, how they were driving, etc. I just want to avoid being that person.