Sponsored by:

Please help - 2002 Excursion New Falken Tires, I feel unsafe

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 10:49 PM
Hortuna
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help - 2002 Excursion New Falken Tires, I feel unsafe

Here's my deal. I just replaced my BFG 295/75/16 with Falken Wildpeak H/T 265/75/16. Immediately I noticed instability when driving on the freeway. "I was all over the road". But, it got much worse..... Two weeks later I towed my 26' toy hauler trailer with two seadoo's inside. About 8,000 lbs. total (my guess) I could not keep the truck and trailer in my lane at speeds over 60MPH. I fact when I applied the breaks, The truck would swerve into the next lane. needless to say I drove at 55 MPH with a pucker factor of 10.

Since, I've installed airbags with no help to the problem. My truck towed just fine before the change to Falken Tires..

Any ideas what's going on??

Please HELP.

Last edited by Hortuna; 07-15-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added Pic's
Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Are the Falkens 10 ply?

Old 07-13-2015, 10:57 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
I am really not a tire expert, but what are the new tire ratings? You should be running a load range E rated tire, if they are D's or less, then they will not be stiff enough to safely take the weight of the Ex and especially the weight of the tow. The squishy tires could also be the source of your wandering and stopping issues.

Also, out of curiosity, is there a reason you went with the smaller 265/75/16 tire? I mean, you lost about two inches in diameter...

Old 07-13-2015, 11:11 PM
Hortuna
New User
8 ply, Load Range E.. 265 are the stock size and I'm doing everything to increase MPG.. Current MPG not towing is 13.2 @ 70 MPH..

It actually towed fine with the BFG 295/75/16 load range D..

Thanks again

Old 07-13-2015, 11:28 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I would take it back ASAP and demand the correct tire. Those are obviously unsafe and not right for the vehicle. Instead of trying to get an extra .0001 MPG get the right tire and guarantee that you won't kill anyone else on the road or yourself trying to save a buck.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Location? What year and motor are you driving?

Old 07-13-2015, 11:32 PM
Hortuna
New User
Orange, CA. 2002 V10

Old 07-13-2015, 11:50 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try rotating the tires front to back, I have had a bad new tire that had bad belting from the factory and would expand on one side of the tire at highway speeds and really mess up the alignment. Granted it was on a car but I have also experienced new tires that were nowhere near round on trucks.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:01 AM
bcrewcaptain
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
I would take it back ASAP and demand the correct tire. Those are obviously unsafe and not right for the vehicle. Instead of trying to get an extra .0001 MPG get the right tire and guarantee that you won't kill anyone else on the road or yourself trying to save a buck.
How is this NOT the "correct" tire?
It's the size they rolled out the door with, and is rated to tow anything the truck is capable of.

There are a lot of factors that could however make them handle differently than the tires you took off. First step would be play with the tire pressure. Every truck is going to act differently, there are just too many factors to make a blanket statement as to what will fix the issue. It has 2 plys less than a lot of E rated tires, which also could lead to some extra sidewall flex. Even the tread pattern itself can lead to some extra movement that is unexpected. Play with the tire pressure first, make the place you got it from aware ASAP you are not happy, in case you do need to bring them back.
Trial and error here....a lot of people swear by Michelin tires and won't go with anything else, in my case, I hated them, and they cause my truck to handle and ride horribly, Kelly tires at were over $100 cheaper per tire were a HUGE improvement.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:54 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Generally, Falken tires are complete junk. I would shed them and get a set of Coopers or BFG's.....especially if you're towing. Safety is worth the extra dough.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:40 AM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It takes some time for the tires to "season". meaning they need to be run through a few heat cycles to stiffen the sidewalls. I know it sounds crazy, but it is explained very well just about anywhere.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:13 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hortuna
Orange, CA. 2002 V10

WELCOME to the world of XXXs
Please add Orange CA to your profile Because it will be lost in this thread.

Did you get them at Discount Tire ?? If yes, take them back per there ride guarantee . I've never heard anything like the above post concerning heat cycles BUT if so, you would still have plenty of time (30 days) to get a tire that you like

Old 07-14-2015, 07:48 AM
Bananarama
Tuned
I have always bought Michelin LTX MS2 load range E. I average 90,000 miles per set. I also inflate them to 80lbs and that helps with fuel economy and they always wear well. Those tires you got there.... they are an economy brand.... and they are worthless. source? 10yrs in the tire business. Thank god I'm out.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
Hortuna, can you post a picture of the sidewall data from one of these new Falken tires? I'm asking because according to Falken's website they do not make a load range E 8 ply tire in that size. WILDPEAK H/T TIRE | Falken Tire. They do make a 10 ply load range E as well as a P metric tire in the same size. The P metrics would deliver the type of performance that you have described here, for a short time until they fail.
I had a set of Falken's on my old Chevy beater pickup, bought 2 new ones and put them on the rear and truck was all over the place. Swapped to the front they handle fine, once worn in an rotated back to the rear they were fine there, weird. I never towed anything heavy with that half ton truck.
What tire pressure did you used to run in the old tires? What pressure do you have in the new ones? What is the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall?

Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bcrewcaptain
How is this NOT the "correct" tire?
8 ply Just because it came from the factory with those doesn't make it correct.

Quick Reply: Please help - 2002 Excursion New Falken Tires, I feel unsafe