Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Retirement Toy

Old 04-13-2018, 03:32 PM
RangerMercMan
Freezer Geezer
RangerMercMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TheMonson View Post
Say it ain't so! "Rollin in my 4.9 with my ragtop down so my hair can blow" just doesn't sound right.
i was actually thinking that as I typed it but it's so true

Old 05-05-2018, 10:33 PM
dubya TF
Junior User
dubya TF is starting off with a positive reputation.
So, my son and I finally pulled the engine and broke it down today. Any day in the garage with your kids is a good day. It turns out that I've got 30 over block with 4 valve relief cast pistons. The crank is a C1AE-A cast and we're not sure about the rods yet. The cam was a FoMoCo with the stock Phillips-head screws in the retainer. It also had a link-type timing chain with a lot of slop along with stock non-adjusting rockers. The way it was all assembled makes me think it wasn't a Ford guy that slapped it together and the varied part combination has me worried. Not to mention that they used a lot of bottom dollar parts and lots of RTV on everything. Either way, I'm glad we pulled it before it got a chance to spit out parts on it's own. On the bright side, the cylinders looked in good shape with crosshatch showing a bit. A couple questions though- is it normal for the oil galley plugs not to flush with the block? Also the rear cam shaft expansion plug seemed to be installed backwards compared to what I'm used to seeing; any thoughts on that? What else should I look for in particular to FE before I make any moves on this engine? Thanks for your time!!

Old 12-04-2018, 02:33 PM
dubya TF
Junior User

Lots of hours, dollars and beers later.....engine turned out to have 360 rods with "truck" 390 pistons on the 390 crank. It's getting bored another 10 thousandth to 4.090; refurb 390 rods with ARP bolts, Speedpro forged flat tops and the jury is still out on the intake, cam and head combo.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:38 PM
dubya TF
Junior User

Current fun being had is the drip rails.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:41 PM
vze2c2gb
Senior User
vze2c2gb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking good keep up the good work.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:41 PM
TA455HO
Post Fiend
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
Here's the intake manifold you need. Linkage might take a bit to work out but it would be unique.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Thom...kog:rk:10:pf:0

Chad

Old 12-04-2018, 05:12 PM
RangerMercMan
Freezer Geezer
RangerMercMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
Here's the intake manifold you need. Linkage might take a bit to work out but it would be unique.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Thom...kog:rk:10:pf:0

Chad
Sure thing!

Old 12-04-2018, 07:35 PM
jackburtonme
Senior User
jackburtonme is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dang, you need a "long shaft" distributor for that manifold.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:05 AM
dubya TF
Junior User

Lots of progress over the winter and the weathers getting better. Hopefully have the glass back in the cab and transmission permanently situated with notched crossmember, AN6 cooler lines, converter and set the short block in the frame rails finally.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:36 PM
66v8baby
Elder User
66v8baby is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
The hood flew up on my '65 F100 after I had the oil/filter replaced, as the lube man didn't close it properly. I was only going about 30 MPH so it didn't fly all the way up.

This also occurred on a 1963 F100 I was driving north on the Hollywood freeway near the Sunset Blvd offramp.

What's interesting is, I had driven two different freeways from West L/A to the Ford parts depot in Commerce, then from there, took another freeway to the 101 (Hollywood). Hood never moved.

When the hood flew up, it hit the top of the windshield. I was driving 65 MPH in the fast lane and was literally blind as I tried to make my way over to the shoulder. It was a real b!tch.
I was unaware that these trucks were prone to this problem. When I drove my F100 from San Jose back to southern Maryland in '16 I never experienced this issue on a 3000+ mile road trip. Last November however when I was bringing my '66 F250 home, the hood started to lift multiple times whenever I went over 50 mph. It was very difficult to get it to stay latched. I think once they've been bent out of shape they are much more prone to repeat failures. I'll be replacing the latch when I start restoring it and cross my fingers. It sure takes the fun out of driving it when you don't know when the hood is going to fly up.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:19 AM
dubya TF
Junior User

We got the short block, stall converter, transmission and new deep sump trans pan put in the frame this weekend. I went ahead and set the heads and intake on just for motivation until next weekend.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 AM
66v8baby
Elder User
What cam did you decide on and what rear gears are you using? It looks like you're aiming for top end power more than stump pulling torque.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:11 PM
dubya TF
Junior User
I have the 2291F pistons with C8AE-H heads with a bit of port clean up and I chose the Comp XE274H cam. The rear end currently is 3.0 but I wanted to see how the engine idles in gear with my Hughes 2500 stall C6. I'm basically building this truck from front to rear so the gears can go either way as long as it makes me smile every time I hit the throttle. Only thing I'm not solid on is piston to valve clearance with stock non-adjusting rockers and Comp 9.621 length pushrods.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:39 PM
66v8baby
Elder User
That's a good sporty cam for a daily driver but pretty mild for a single plane intake. You might want to reconsider that big intake. There's a good chance you'll have problems with an off idle stumble and low end torque with those highway gears and mild cam. I think 3.50 gears are the minimum for good seat of the pants feel on acceleration. If you had an OD trans I would bump that to 3.70s.
I had a big hyd roller (around 520/530 lift) in my Mustang with a single plane on a 408 Windsor. I had to rev it up quite a bit to take off from a stop light and that was with a 5 speed manual and 3.70 gears.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 PM
dubya TF
Junior User
My original intent was to NOT use an Edelbrock but finding vintage FE intakes that aren't trashed is pretty challenging outside of having Southern California swap meets. I had the pleasure of meeting Denny Aldridge because of this. He has his shop a couple hours away in Washington and he has decades of FE wisdom and parts which is where I got this intake. I have a 4 hole 1" spacer to help with the open single plane a bit and should be able to tune out any stumble later on with jets and squirters. Hopefully anyway. I chose the Comp 274 based on Denny's guidance towards my wanting a nasty idling cruiser rather than a top end build. It is a heavy truck after all. I really just want to solve my piston to valve worries for now. If my parts combo doesn't work out, it just means more time in the garage. lol! This is my first FE build so I know I have a lot to learn and any input is appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Retirement Toy

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.