6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Turbo Gage Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:33 PM
talatch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Gage Stuck

I have been looking for years on how to fix this with no resolve. I'm hoping I can get some help here. While driving down the road just cruising along my turbo gage will still up to around 40 and the turbo shuts down. I don't notice it until I start applying throttle and I can hear the valves sounding like they are coming through the hood. I then pull over turn the truck of and restart and it goes about 95% of the time. Two times it has left me stranded over the last 2.5 years. All the research I'm found about people talking about it is it has happened to them a couple times and then it goes away. Well not the case for me, it appears about every 2-3 months. It's been to the dealer about 10 times for this issue. They have replaced EGR, MAPS sensors as well as the latest they replaced the EGR cooler and cleaned the pipes. They have had my truck for about 2 months in the last 2.5 years and I'm getting past the point of pissed off.
Has anyone else had this issue or found a fix?

Thank you,

Old 04-10-2018, 06:10 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Would be nice if you stated what your driving??

Old 04-11-2018, 08:46 PM
talatch
New User
Originally Posted by 69cj
Would be nice if you stated what your driving??
It's under the 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel tap. I thought that would be self explanatory. Guess not!

Old 04-11-2018, 08:56 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,657 Likes on 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by talatch
It's under the 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel tap. I thought that would be self explanatory. Guess not!
People have been known to post in the wrong forum. Consider creating a signature line that provides your truck's details.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:38 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Might help on the year of your 6.7. There was a turbo change in 2015 along with the wastegate being eliminated.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:55 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
I have been looking for years on how to fix this with no resolve. I'm hoping I can get some help here. While driving down the road just cruising along my turbo gage will still up to around 40 and the turbo shuts down. I don't notice it until I start applying throttle and I can hear the valves sounding like they are coming through the hood. I then pull over turn the truck of and restart and it goes about 95% of the time. Two times it has left me stranded over the last 2.5 years. All the research I'm found about people talking about it is it has happened to them a couple times and then it goes away. Well not the case for me, it appears about every 2-3 months. It's been to the dealer about 10 times for this issue. They have replaced EGR, MAPS sensors as well as the latest they replaced the EGR cooler and cleaned the pipes. They have had my truck for about 2 months in the last 2.5 years and I'm getting past the point of pissed off.
Has anyone else had this issue or found a fix?

Thank you,
I just had the same problem and it was the MAP sensor that had debris in it from the recent turbo replacement. IF you get another MAP sensor and you change it yourself, be warned that the truck may go into limp mode IF you do not clear the "specified functions" in the computer. FORScan can do it, but just a regular scanner cannot. Mine went into limp mode a couple of ignition cycles after replacing the MAP. It is getting debris from the EGR area flowing up and getting stuck. Yes, shutting it down and restarting it will sometimes stop it, but it will soon return. And yes, the valves sound like they are coming out from under the hood when the boost gauge sticks. By chance do you have a strong exhaust smell during regen and can't find the tell tell signs of soot on the firewall?? If so, it's under the intake and probably what is causing the MAP failures as the soot is breaking off and lodging in the MAP.

By the way, no one was giving you an attitude by asking what you drove. We have many every month that post in the wrong section and the mods do a great job of relocating them if needed. These guys will help if they can, but not when people are perceived as being snotty to them. As stated, create you a signature with your truck and any mods done to it and the proper guys will be more than willing to help.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:46 AM
talatch
New User
Originally Posted by golfmedik
I just had the same problem and it was the MAP sensor that had debris in it from the recent turbo replacement. IF you get another MAP sensor and you change it yourself, be warned that the truck may go into limp mode IF you do not clear the "specified functions" in the computer. FORScan can do it, but just a regular scanner cannot. Mine went into limp mode a couple of ignition cycles after replacing the MAP. It is getting debris from the EGR area flowing up and getting stuck. Yes, shutting it down and restarting it will sometimes stop it, but it will soon return. And yes, the valves sound like they are coming out from under the hood when the boost gauge sticks. By chance do you have a strong exhaust smell during regen and can't find the tell tell signs of soot on the firewall?? If so, it's under the intake and probably what is causing the MAP failures as the soot is breaking off and lodging in the MAP.

By the way, no one was giving you an attitude by asking what you drove. We have many every month that post in the wrong section and the mods do a great job of relocating them if needed. These guys will help if they can, but not when people are perceived as being snotty to them. As stated, create you a signature with your truck and any mods done to it and the proper guys will be more than willing to help.
Sorry if I upset anyone but I'm on a few other forums and people get an attitude real quit for some reason. And I can't figure out how to add a signature line.
It's a 2011 F-350 6.7. The map sensors have been changed multiple times as well. Not sure about the strong exhaust smell. The dealer replaced the EGR cooler about a month ago and cleaned all the piping, it was nasty. He had a 4x4 cube box completely full of soot. I wished he would have replaced all of the piping incase he didn't get everything clean and still breaking loos. I'm at a loss as well as the dealer.

2011 6.7L F350

Old 04-12-2018, 09:24 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry if I upset anyone but I'm on a few other forums and people get an attitude real quit for some reason. And I can't figure out how to add a signature line.
It's a 2011 F-350 6.7. The map sensors have been changed multiple times as well. Not sure about the strong exhaust smell. The dealer replaced the EGR cooler about a month ago and cleaned all the piping, it was nasty. He had a 4x4 cube box completely full of soot. I wished he would have replaced all of the piping incase he didn't get everything clean and still breaking loos. I'm at a loss as well as the dealer.

2011 6.7L F350
From what I've been told is that pieces of the remaining soot from the clean out of the EGR and intake is what is killing the MAP sensors. It only takes a small spec to ruin one. I've been told to expect that it may do it again. The moderators here are really good to the respect that they control tempers and all of us here are far from what you will find on the other forums. That is one reason I don't visit those very much anymore. To make you a signature, go to USER CP, then SETTINGS and OPTIONS, EDIT SIGNATURE and make you up one. We like to know who we are talking to. Welcome to the FTE!

Old 04-12-2018, 02:03 PM
talatch
New User
Originally Posted by golfmedik
From what I've been told is that pieces of the remaining soot from the clean out of the EGR and intake is what is killing the MAP sensors. It only takes a small spec to ruin one. I've been told to expect that it may do it again. The moderators here are really good to the respect that they control tempers and all of us here are far from what you will find on the other forums. That is one reason I don't visit those very much anymore. To make you a signature, go to USER CP, then SETTINGS and OPTIONS, EDIT SIGNATURE and make you up one. We like to know who we are talking to. Welcome to the FTE!
Thanks, my next step might be to replace all the plumbing. I've also heard that a small leak might cause the same issue.
Also, I don't see a setting for "edit signature". I see other edit options. I'll keep trying.

Todd
2011 F-350 6.7

Old 04-12-2018, 05:52 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
FYI, a quick visit to the OP's public profile page shows the specifics of his rig under the About Me tab. I can see nobody has gone there before I just did. It's a good resource no matter what forum you are visiting.

OP, sounds like you have been more than patient. I can't imagine how upset I'd be after that many trips to the dealership without a solution. Good luck!