Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.

1990 F-700 Dump Truck purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 06:08 PM
riverslandscaping
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 1990 F-700 Dump Truck purchase

New to the heavier truck game. Currently have two superdutys and this forum has been great for those!<br /><br />Im Looking at purchasing this dump truck, 1990 F700 with the 370 and 120K miles or so. <br /><br />Link To https://billings.craigslist.org/hvo/6543652910.html <br /><br />They tell me it runs good and has been good to them, ( of course they would say that but take it as you will). What are things to look out for on these trucks? Its got the 370 gas in it with a 2 speed rear end. Are parts hard to come by? Is that engine at least semi decent? This will be my first big truck purchase. We do landscaping construction in Montana and are looking for a truck to haul about 4-5 yards of dirt or rock consistently. Dont want to mess with dump trailers. I dont mind if its slow or bad on gas, fully expect that. Just wondering what people thoughts are on this particular truck and this line up in general. Just need a semi-reliable rig to get us started. <br /><br />Ive offered them $5800 without the plow or sander. Its 200 miles away from me. I am tossing around the idea of driving it back but having a gooseneck pulled by my 7.3 just in case. I know it would be a slow and uncomfortable ride but I cant really get it shipped and would rather drive it then try and haul it. <br /><br />Thanks for your time!

Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 PM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
IF it has the Hyd brakes LOOK very close to see if there are any leaks.
You can read alot about the Lucas-Girling brakes in this section of the forum.
PRAY it has air brakes Much cheaper to fix and maintain.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:45 PM
riverslandscaping
New User
Originally Posted by 80broncoman
IF it has the Hyd brakes LOOK very close to see if there are any leaks.
You can read alot about the Lucas-Girling brakes in this section of the forum.
PRAY it has air brakes Much cheaper to fix and maintain.
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't have air brakes. We need it to be under CDL so thats why Im looking at this one. Anything else about the truck? I will definelty look closely at the brakes.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:51 PM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by riverslandscaping
Thanks for the reply. It doesn't have air brakes. We need it to be under CDL so thats why Im looking at this one. Anything else about the truck? I will definelty look closely at the brakes.
The Ford Hyd are Great working brakes They can just get expensive If they need many of those special parts.
Back in those years where everyone was building MDTs Ford sold more than anyone,....at least that is what i have read.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:51 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by riverslandscaping
FYI from a Federal rules perspective, and here in WA State air brakes have nothing to do with it being a CDL class B truck. Might want to research your state, I bet you would be surprised as this is one of the most misunderstood items.

CDL means the door jamb says the 26,001 pounds and above - automatic Class B rig, even if Hydraulic brakes. 26,000 pounds and less, even with air brakes, at least by my states and Federal rules, non CDL.

Now if the truck has a rated GVWR at 26,001 pounds or above, even if you license it at 26k, it is still a class B rig. The rules go off what is on the door jamb as applied by the manufacture, not what it is licensed for. Most times this will not be caught, but will be on a full inspection... with the resulting fines and truck placed out of service unless the driver happens to have a class B CDL.

Just food for thought, Air brakes IMO are far superior to Hydraulic brakes and quite a bit longer lasting as the linings are generally thicker, as well as being very cheap to maintain against the Lucas/Girling system