How to “delete” my truck - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page > How to “delete” my truck
Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to “delete” my truck

Old 04-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How to “delete” my truck

My warranty is about to run out, and the only trouble I’ve ever had with my truck is emissions related. I’d like it to be deleted, but don’t have the mechanical ability to do it myself.
How do people like me get the job done?

Old 04-09-2018, 04:01 PM
cappa
Senior User
cappa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's pretty simple. I actually can't believe anyone would pay a shop to do it. Watch a you tube video so you get a sense of where all the connectors are. Buy some beer and convince a buddy to give you a hand as it is a little heavy. Buy a tuner and get some delete tunes. I would flash the truck and unplug a sensor or two in the exhaust, then fire it up and make sure it runs without throwing any codes before continuing, the worst thing you could do is rip it all off and realize your tune isn't diet friendly. I started by unplugging all the connectors I could get at first, there was two I think that I could not get right away. I then used a ratchet strap to hold the dpf up, then I unbolted the exhaust hangers as it is way easier to get them off once the dpf is on the ground. Only lower it a couple inches onto the ratchet strap so as not to rip out the remaining connectors, then get your hand above and disconnect the remaining two. Then I used a floor jack under the dpf, and lowered it as it is being guided down. Make sure to remove the nox modules completely from the truck as well as moisture in them will cause the glow plug fuse to pop until you remove them. I packed all the ends of the connectors with di-electric grease, then cut the fingers off of surgical gloves and put them over the connector, then wrapped it all up with black tape, and zip tied them up out of the way. Re-install the exhaust hangers and install your new exhaust, I would recommend Flo-pro. The egr can be left alone as it will be tuned shut in the program. They claim eventually the pipe from the manifold to the egr cooler can plug off with soot as there is no flow, which would only be an issue of you decided to go back to stock. I removed the pipes and put blocker plates on mine. Just make sure you soak those manifold bolts with your favorite penatrant, I used kroil, for a couple weeks prior to attempting to remove if you do so as to make sure you don't break them off. If you do run blocker plates you will also remove a egt sensor out of your exhaust and install it into the manifold plate and them plug it into the egr cooler plug for a manifold, pre turbo egt reading. It's pretty simple once you get going. You will love the delete thou, I removed mine at 25000k, coming up to 75000k now without a single issue, slightly better mpg, and a increase in power as well. These 6.7's are pretty Bullitt proof, just make sure if your towing heavy you turn the power down to the tow tune and you should have no issues. The only regret I have is not deleting mine sooner. Do your research on tunes thou as a good transmission strategy is key to long, trouble free life.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:03 PM
cappa
Senior User
cappa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Or pay a shop 3 or 4 hundred bucks prob and not touch a thing, your choice.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:52 PM
Justin Longacre
New User
Justin Longacre is starting off with a positive reputation.
Me , personally, I wouldn't do it unless the repair is more than the cost of a delete, if it needs repaired. I have had a EGT sensor go out, the EGR cooler replaced and a clogged DEF injector cleaned. The first covered under warranty, the second, out of pocket the third free of charge because I refused to pay a diagnostic fee for a mandatory proceedure

Last edited by Justin Longacre; 04-09-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 04-10-2018, 05:57 AM
Deuce40s
Senior User
Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.Deuce40s has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by cappa View Post
It's pretty simple. I actually can't believe anyone would pay a shop to do it.
Look at his username and read his post again. Not everyone is 20 years old and fit anymore.

OP, I'd find a local small time mechanic shop. They're hard to find because they don't advertise much and they aren't always on the main road. In my opinion, the best way to find a good mechanic is to call around to local commercial and industrial supply places like a hydraulic shop or tractor repair place. Maybe call used car dealerships too and ask for recommendations.

The process is simple, so even if they've never done it before I'm sure they can figure it out.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:27 AM
my_crib_too
Posting Guru
my_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant futuremy_crib_too has a brilliant future
Google showed me this. Give them a call. If they cannot do the work, bet they know someone that does.

-
  • Specialize in Ford, Chevy and Dodge diesel pickups
Bruce....

Old 04-10-2018, 09:37 AM
bobv60
Elder User
bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.bobv60 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quadzilla, where are you located?

Old 04-10-2018, 07:47 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I’m in the Seattle area, and am torn between two different ways to approach my future. My truck is currently in the shop, getting a new diesel particulate filter, to the tune of $3500 installed. My truck is 5 years old, and the only trouble I’ve ever had with it is emissions related, four shop visits in three months. However, I have an extended warranty that is in effect until 1/2020. I don’t want to void that, especially since I paid for that.
On the other hand, I’ve located a shop that will do the work, but I’m not interested in the legal repercussions afterward, since it’s technically illegal. I know there are performance gains to be had, but am weighing the risk/reward.
There is no diesel emissions testing here, so I don’t know the actual exposure to legal trouble.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:43 AM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Quadzilla View Post
I’m in the Seattle area, and am torn between two different ways to approach my future. My truck is currently in the shop, getting a new diesel particulate filter, to the tune of $3500 installed. My truck is 5 years old, and the only trouble I’ve ever had with it is emissions related, four shop visits in three months. However, I have an extended warranty that is in effect until 1/2020. I don’t want to void that, especially since I paid for that.
On the other hand, I’ve located a shop that will do the work, but I’m not interested in the legal repercussions afterward, since it’s technically illegal. I know there are performance gains to be had, but am weighing the risk/reward.
There is no diesel emissions testing here, so I don’t know the actual exposure to legal trouble.
if you looking just for the delete, stock or tow tunes are significantly lower in the smoke department the the old 7.3 and 6.0 where. I run a 60 tow tune deleted and like it. I get an ever so slight amount of haze off idle if I am in a hurry, and I mean you really have to watch for it to even see it. less than second later it is all clear. I didn't like however the initial sound of the exhaust as I was going for keeping it stock looking. I added a FTE resonator and large donaldson muffler; it is about as quiet as stock now.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 AM
The Bone
Elder User
The Bone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.The Bone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am surprised that your particulate filter needs to be replaced. Good thing it's still under warranty. I wouldnt delete your truck. Not much performance to be gained by a tune. How many miles do you have on your truck.I am at about 60,000 and no emissions system problem. Did you buy it new or used,? Do you think that if used the previous owner did something to the truck? I would only do a delete if you have to repair the system to the tune of $3,500 again.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Cangim, it sounds like you’ve set your truck up the way I ultimately will. Thanks for your response.
The Bone, I bought my truck new 75,000 miles ago. Unfortunately, the filter wasn’t covered under warranty, so the $3900 repair came out of my pocket. I’ve paid for an extended warranty until 1/2020, so I’m not going to delete until then, unless another major component that isn’t covered needs replacement.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:22 PM
2006lariat
Post Fiend
2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation2006lariat has a superb reputation
I thought there was a government mandated 7yr/100000 mile warranty on all emission's related equipment? Check your owners manual. that may have changed, but I had on 03 f150 they replaced everything on at 90,000 miles at no cost to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: