6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

opti lube xpd

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 04:33 PM
harleyjoeky
Tuned
Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts
I completely stopped using it (Opti-lube) for now. I'm not sure if it's related, but almost emediately after I started using it (at the lower end of the dose), my 6.7 Started smoking on acceleration (black smoke). I've not observed this at all before. The truck has 142,000 miles and is running absolutely perfect. All my gages are in range, and Forscan shows nothing abnormal. No engine lite and no apparent decrease in mpg. I'm stumped. I filled the last tank from empty and used the full dose of Enerburn (1oz to 25 gallons), + a full 32 oz of Deisel Kleen. That seems to have helped, but I still see some smoke on acceleration. I just changed my Air Filter just to be sure. It looked dirty, although the indicator was still in the yellow and hadn't moved. Someone said that that indicator is worthless anyway. The Ford stealer here in town wants 220 buck just to diagnose it, and they said it sounded like an EGR valve sticking. (an expensive proposition). The other ford Stealer ( a town away) charges 100 to diagnose it, and said not to waste my money, as it didn't sound like anything to worry about. Who to believe. Well I'm going to put in a couple of more tanks of diesel without the Optilube, and full dose of Enerburn and Deisel-Kleen, and report back in a while to see what happened.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:02 PM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by harleyjoeky
I completely stopped using it (Opti-lube) for now. I'm not sure if it's related, but almost emediately after I started using it (at the lower end of the dose), my 6.7 Started smoking on acceleration (black smoke). I've not observed this at all before. The truck has 142,000 miles and is running absolutely perfect. All my gages are in range, and Forscan shows nothing abnormal. No engine lite and no apparent decrease in mpg. I'm stumped. I filled the last tank from empty and used the full dose of Enerburn (1oz to 25 gallons), + a full 32 oz of Deisel Kleen. That seems to have helped, but I still see some smoke on acceleration. I just changed my Air Filter just to be sure. It looked dirty, although the indicator was still in the yellow and hadn't moved. Someone said that that indicator is worthless anyway. The Ford stealer here in town wants 220 buck just to diagnose it, and they said it sounded like an EGR valve sticking. (an expensive proposition). The other ford Stealer ( a town away) charges 100 to diagnose it, and said not to waste my money, as it didn't sound like anything to worry about. Who to believe. Well I'm going to put in a couple of more tanks of diesel without the Optilube, and full dose of Enerburn and Deisel-Kleen, and report back in a while to see what happened.
I agree with Stealer #2. I think some cleaning is taking place and Enerburn says that will happen.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:10 PM
harleyjoeky
Tuned
SkiSmuggs. Yea. I also agreed with #2. Jane was the one who suggested I've stoped using the option-lube for a couple of tankfuls and use the Enerburn at the full dose. The Deisel Kleen is my idea. Figured it can't hurt, as the bottle says you can use more without any harm. I'll see what happens.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
I agree with Stealer #2. I think some cleaning is taking place and Enerburn says that will happen.
In neither case should there be black smoke. Don't rely on additive companies to dictate what should and shouldn't come out of the tailpipe.

If there's black smoke, there's a problem. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's what it is. There's no such thing as a cure in a bottle.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:53 PM
harleyjoeky
Tuned
Well I know all that, but when there's no indications on the computer or gages, there's not much more they can look for.. I'll just wait and see if I ever get an engine light or other issues. Ford doesn't have any idea either.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:10 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Well I know all that, but when there's no indications on the computer or gages, there's not much more they can look for.. I'll just wait and see if I ever get an engine light or other issues. Ford doesn't have any idea either.
You're going to need a new DPF soon.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:30 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
With your truck at the mileage that some have either baked or replaced a DPF, I still think this is a cleaning process as a result of using Enerburn. I would just wait it out. I only have 52K on my first diesel, so I don't have experience to go on.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:28 PM
Sconk1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harleyjoeky,
My name is Sean and I am the owner of Opti-Lube.
I just wanted to respond to your comment and let you know that it is definitely not uncommon for new or even "switching" additive users to see more smoke out the tailpipe for the first few tanks of use. Some even experience a lot of smoke.
After the first few tanks it should clear up as it has for many, many others.
This is generally caused by the cleaners and/or the added cetane levels in the additives. The cleaners are cleaning out any deposits in the injectors. The cetane causes the firing of the fuel to be faster, which can raise EGT's and the added heat clean up stuff in turbo, EGR, and exhaust. It should not be anything to be worried about.
If you ever have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us directly (801-491-3717) or email us (sales@opti-lube.com).

As for the other comments on Alcohols, this text taken from one of our blog post may help explain the differences and issues with Alcohols and why there should be no worries about any of Opti-Lube's products:

THREE TYPES OF ALCOHOL
We have found that there are 3 types of alcohol that diesel engine builders have problems with: Methanol (Very bad), Ethanol (mildly bad), and Propanol (on the fence, typically used in emergency dewaxing or icing products). Methanol may be a great power producing fuel but it can mess up a diesel engine in short order. Some competitive organizations have restricted the use of this type of fuel in diesels.
So what does the statement “Alcohol-Free” mean? When additive producers state “Alcohol-Free” it is a broad phrase because as we just noted, not all alcohols are the same. There are many alcohol based chemicals, or chemicals in the alcohol family that are not harmful. This can be difficult to explain on a bottle’s small label or to those of us who are not chemists.

Ethylhexanol for example, is not as popular as Methanol, Ethanol, or Propanol and does not harm engines in any way the others do. So the statement “Alcohol-Free” typically means free of any harmful alcohol.

Taken from:
Emulsifier vs. Demulsifier / Opti-Lube Blog

Old 08-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Sconk1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harleyjoeky,
My name is Sean and I am the owner of Opti-Lube.
I just wanted to respond to your comment and let you know that it is definitely not uncommon for new or even "switching" additive users to see more smoke out the tailpipe for the first few tanks of use. Some even experience a lot of smoke.
After the first few tanks it should clear up as it has for many, many others.
This is generally caused by the cleaners and/or the added cetane levels in the additives. The cleaners are cleaning out any deposits in the injectors. The cetane causes the firing of the fuel to be faster, which can raise EGT's and the added heat clean up stuff in turbo, EGR, and exhaust. It should not be anything to be worried about.
If you ever have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us directly (801-491-3717) or email us (sales@opti-lube.com).

As for the other comments on Alcohols, this text taken from one of our blog post may help explain the differences and issues with Alcohols and why there should be no worries about any of Opti-Lube's products:

THREE TYPES OF ALCOHOL
We have found that there are 3 types of alcohol that diesel engine builders have problems with: Methanol (Very bad), Ethanol (mildly bad), and Propanol (on the fence, typically used in emergency dewaxing or icing products). Methanol may be a great power producing fuel but it can mess up a diesel engine in short order. Some competitive organizations have restricted the use of this type of fuel in diesels.
So what does the statement “Alcohol-Free” mean? When additive producers state “Alcohol-Free” it is a broad phrase because as we just noted, not all alcohols are the same. There are many alcohol based chemicals, or chemicals in the alcohol family that are not harmful. This can be difficult to explain on a bottle’s small label or to those of us who are not chemists.

Ethylhexanol for example, is not as popular as Methanol, Ethanol, or Propanol and does not harm engines in any way the others do. So the statement “Alcohol-Free” typically means free of any harmful alcohol.

Taken from:
Emulsifier vs. Demulsifier / Opti-Lube Blog

Old 08-26-2018, 12:48 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Ethylhexanol in larger doses is actually harmful to common rail motors.

And there is absolutely no reason whatsoever that any 6.7L engine should smoke from using any fuel additive. If smoke comes out of the tailpipe, that is a serious problem. If an additive causes that, that's an additive that should never be used with diesel engines.

Sorry if I'm blunt, but that's reality.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:53 AM
harleyjoeky
Tuned
Sconk1 and Pocket
Pocket... If I may be so blunt. May I ask what YOUR credentials are to make the above claim?
Sconk1. Thank you for the information on your product. It appears that My exhaust is in fact getting cleaner as I go. Granted I did stop using the Optilube for now, and will see after my next couple of tankfuls if I return to using it. I have used Enerburn since I bought the truck with absolutely no issues, but after only the second tank using the Optilube it started smoking, which is why I stoped
Thank you all for the informative inputs.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:02 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Thanks to Sean for his educated input. We all have opinions based on experience, what we know and what we think we know. It is the what we think we know that can change with more information and/or more experience. We know that water is necessary and good for us in the right amounts, but excessive amounts can kill us. Demulsifiers are typically going to be some type of alcohol, but are of a type and amount that do the job without harming the system.
Just look at how expert opinion has changed on every thing from spinach (from worthless to super food), recreational alcohol, and coffee, to name a few.

"I thought I was wrong once; turns out I was mistaken."

Old 08-26-2018, 05:49 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Pocket... If I may be so blunt. May I ask what YOUR credentials are to make the above claim?
I had an industry expert teach me about additives. Enough to be dangerous and enough to recognize marketing hype.

There's engineers who design, build, and test these motors. And then there are people who are selling products with promises. I side with the engineers.

That's my approach. It's your truck and feel free to do as you wish. It's just that there should NEVER be black smoke coming out of the tailpipe on the 6.7L. In no way is that normal operation. I'm just trying to give you a friendly heads up is all.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:57 PM
harleyjoeky
Tuned
Well Pocket, I most of the time tend to agree with you on additives as snake oil. The exception being Enerburn, as I've personally seen the results. The one that started this whole conversation was Opti-lube. It really appears that after the very first tankful is when the truck started the smoking. I Just filled the truck with the second "clean" tankfuls using only Enerburn, and wheather you agree or not, it has slowed down the black smoke significantly. now I have to really look for it to see it. We shall see as time goes by.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:20 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
There is NO way you should see smoke out of the tailpipe on a DPF equipped truck! Putting the blinders on and ignoring it isn't getting you anywhere, but most don't seem to have much along the lines of adverse effects with a crack. If the dealer(s) can't diagnose it find dealer number 3. The DPF is cracked. Period. That's the only way you get soot in the tailpipe. What opti-lube guy said may be true if the truck doesn't have a DPF, but ANY soot in the tailpipe with a DPF means that the DPF is cracked.

Quick Reply: opti lube xpd