Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

desperate! install of fms mass air kit auto trans disaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 07:35 PM
fordtrks4fr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

posted a thread got lots of good help and was confident i was good to go on installing my 5.8 in my 93 f150 and ordered my mass air kit from ford motorsports. i forked out the 700 bucks and it came today a week later after i finally tracked down the rest of the fuel inj parts for the 5.8. well heres the part that has me crying. on the side of the box (i ordered the auto kit) it says it wont work with electronic shifted aod e4od or 4r70w transmissions. this is the first after all my research and help i have heard of this. i am determined to make this work and will go as far as getting a different c6 4x4 trans. why is this the first i have heard of this? am i getting worried over nothing? i have the o/d button the shifter. from what i can tell i have a elec speedo. what does changing the trans instill? i am ready to take it all back, cut my losses. put a 5.0 back in there and drive it off a cliff. i just cant belive this is the first i have heard of this being a problem? what trans mission should i be looking for?
thanks for all info u can give me

Last edited by fordtrks4fr; 09-17-2003 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:54 PM
fordtrks4fr
Senior User

if i order the lightning kit that is listed for e40d am i ok?

Old 09-17-2003, 07:57 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is what I would have ordered anyway, as the only real difference was the transmission.

Old 09-17-2003, 08:02 PM
fordtrks4fr
Senior User

so u r saying i should exchange it? the lightning kit comes with 30 lb injectors and 80 mm mass sens for another 250 bucks it is cheaper and better off than changing trans. i am not sure the adaptors will connect to my throttle body though. lightning had single tube. i have the button on the shifter that is e4od right?

Old 09-17-2003, 08:15 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does Ford Motorsports have a technical support number? I think you have paid for some support.

Old 09-17-2003, 08:27 PM
fordtrks4fr
Senior User

i ordered it through paw, but i think ordering the lightning kit is my best fix, do they sell that y adaptor to the mass air separately? i wont have to change the seq. then b/c it is 5.8. guess i am sorta answerin my own question, any more info out there?

Old 09-18-2003, 01:36 PM
fordtrks4fr
Senior User

will it bog down wit the bigger mass air meter and injectors running through a stock truck intake/throttle body? i have ported heads,e5te shaved/flattops, dual exhaust and stock cat converter combo. i an running comp cams ho 35-300-8 210/215 .533 lift

Old 09-18-2003, 05:54 PM
gamehunter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't just slap on the FMS kit for the lightning. It is a completely different setup and wont even hook up to your existing hardware. From what I have been told, the lightning has a different pin layout for the CPU. And the obvious difference in the intakes/throttle body wiring. If you started with all lightning electronics this might be doable, but I wouldn't try elsewise. First, you need to verify that your transmition is the E4OD before going any further and wasting more money. Check your door jam to find out. I can't remember what the trans code for the E4OD is, but someone here will know and can chime in.

If you do in fact have the E4OD there are a few options you can ponder. First, you can choose to keep the FMS kit and buy a stand alone CPU for the trans. These are available, but that last time I checked the price tag is higher than the MAF kit itself. Second, you can swap in an AOD, C6, or C4 to get rid of the electronics. This will obviously require some work. Third, which may be the easiest for the time being, is to just run the speed density. what is your reason for mass air? Usually the speed density will handle engine mods pretty decent as long as your cam isn't on the wild side. It may depend on the lobe separation of that cam you have. I am running a 208/216 .530 lift on a 112lsa with no problems.

Old 09-18-2003, 08:21 PM
90f150moneypit
Posting Guru

There is a connector listed in the PAW catalog on page 576. It is to connect a speed sensor from the transmission. What transmission it doesn't say, but worth calling about since it's only $27

Old 09-19-2003, 08:28 PM
fordtrks4fr
Senior User

the cam i have is a 114 lift and in the ho firing order, when i ran it in my speed density before, i had no idol abbility. i ordered the lightning kit from paw because i thought it came with all the necessary wiring harness. i could run the y adapter off my stock throttle body. i guess i kinda figured the new kit wasnt so much a overlay but a whole new system. i need to find out so i can cancel the order and possibly just order a cam that wil jive. probaly be a lot cheaper. i guess i figured the mass air kit was a upgrade. the 30 lb injectors and 80mm maf sounded pretty,
from what i saw in the picture all the parts in the kit it had extra and more than the f series kit. i might not have a problem if it is not a overlay and and includes a harness for the throttle body tps/iac/temp/. but for 950 bucks i should just cancel the order and get a cam. it will be old soon anyway.

Old 09-20-2003, 02:55 PM
fordtrks4fr
Senior User

sorry i mean 114 lobe sep. game hunter i read another thread where u did your project and you said your truck ran like there was no tomorrow, if i keep my stock computer and trans, a low duration cam wont mess with the map? i figure 215 or less @50. will a 200 or less that has a broad low range mess with the computer or is that basically stock? i took your advice and cancelled the kit, i dont want to get in over my head. just want to drive it, my streetrods for racing. i wanted to use the 250$ mistake paw sent me but i would rather cut my losses and sell it on ebay, than have a $1000 kit that dont do what i wanted it to. if i was going to put another trans in there i probaly wouldnt keep it fuel injected,

Old 09-21-2003, 04:04 PM
gamehunter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really makes me wonder if you could abtain a reasonable idle even with the mass air kit, being that the cam has a 114 lobe separation angle. How was the cam degreed? Alot of cam companies now days are automatically incorporating cam advance right into the lobe profiles, so all you need to do is set it "straight up". There is also certain profiles that they will not recommend for fuel injection period. Call Comp Cams and pick their minds about this. Alot of times their staff just know how to plug numbers into computers, but some are actually quite knowledgable. Another thing you cam want to check is if you have any computer codes. When I did my engine swap, at first the truck wouldn't idle worth crap, everyone told it was the cam, but knowing exactly what cam I installed, I was way to stubborn to believe it. Turns out my EVP sensor was shot (EGR), which caused it to stumble at idle like I installed a cam with a 108 lobe separation.

If you do choose to install a new cam, I would suggest matching the cam to you exact setup. Get in touch with the manufacturer and see what they recommend.

If you are willing to shell out the cash, take a look at Pro-M or Ken Bell, as both of these companies also make mass air conversions for out trucks, and If I remember right, they both make one for trucks equiped with the E4OD.

The cam I have is a Crane Cam Powermax 2020 hyro roller. It is specifically designed for speed density 5.8l EFI engines and is the most agressive profile I found that could keep the speed density happy. This cam really surprised me how well it pulls at 5,000rpm considering im still using the stock intake/plenum and stock heads. I havn't found the point were the power starts to drop off, but im guessing around 5200rpm.

Although I am not sure on the stock cam sizing, it really depends on what year your talking about. The later 351w and even 302 roller blocks had a pretty decent cam from the factory. They are all however, under 200 degrees.

Old 09-22-2003, 04:13 PM
fordtrks4fr
Senior User

the cam i got was part #35-300-8, i guess it is specifically designed for mass air but paw just sent me what they could profit off, i have basically a stock setup 69cc ported,flattops, i drilled holes and tapped threads and installed the spider boss from the 302 and can run a roller cam, but can run either at this point b/c i have two sets of pushrods. i dont need to be pushing the higher rpms and will be happy with a brute cam that can pull a stump. i will give comp cams a call, thanks. i scrapped the idea of the mass air b/c the money seems ridiculous for a stock grocery hauler driven in winter.