1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Eddie Motorsports hood hinges. Opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Carbonarc
Mountain Pass

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Eddie Motorsports hood hinges. Opinions please

I'm considering ordering a set for my 53 F100. Does anyone have experence with them? Thanks.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:37 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Me and others have asked this and had quite some trouble finding anyone who actually had them . We did find a review that suggested they solved " most " of the issues and for us north of the border $1,000 for hinges that are better but not perfect is too steep for me . I am still looking for a hood so I haven't had time to experiment .

Old 04-06-2018, 02:49 PM
The Outlaw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have bought a set and will hopefully be getting them installed and aligned soon. I should be starting to pancake my hood in the next week or two and I want my hood fully aligned before I do this. Garage Gremlins have been rampant!

What I can tell you from when I had them mocked up and my hood installed. (But not fully aligned) Is that if you are looking for these alone to get rid of the sloppy opening and closing of your hood. Or no longer having to do the shimmy shimmy shake, run around and tuck your hood into place don't spend the money. I found them only slightly better than the stock hinges I had. I can't tell you how well they hold the hood in place while driving as I havn't driven my truck with them yet.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-06-2018, 04:27 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Thanks Outlaw I had asked this question before with little result so for the price here I will work on another option .

Old 04-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Carbonarc
Mountain Pass

Thanks Outlaw. I agree with EBEAR's reasoning. The original hinges were hard to raise/lower so I'll clean and lubricate them before remounting.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:48 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Outlaw have you installed the EMS hinges yet? If you have, how about some feed back. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:30 PM
The Outlaw
Senior User
Originally Posted by turnrjr
Outlaw have you installed the EMS hinges yet? If you have, how about some feed back. Thanks.
I have installed and used them and stand by what I said before. If you’re looking for these to make you good go up and down like a modern hood look else where. They offer little improvement over good condition OEM hinges. But if ya have extra cash and want the modern look under the hood then ya they work.

Old 11-23-2019, 06:27 PM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Appreciate your reply Outlaw. I purchased new (reproduction) hinges from Midwest Early Ford earlier this past summer. Before installing I removed the springs, lubed big time , and manually operated them many many times in a vise in effort loosen them up. They would only free up for a portion of their full motion. As best I can figure, the problem is caused by an error in the pivot dimension geometry or the rivets are installed too tightly causing binding. I'm really discouraged with how poorly the hood operates. I searched and found that this is a common problem with these trucks but there are a few guys that were successful. Their only explanation is that they freed up the hinges.
Even though it's against my nature to spend 600 bucks for hinges, I was considering it. Now after reading about yours, not so much.
Bob

Old 11-23-2019, 06:28 PM
Carbonarc
Mountain Pass

Thanks Outlaw. I did end up purchasing a pair. I'll also provide feedback after they are installed sometime this winter.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:12 PM
The Outlaw
Senior User
My opinion as to why the hood is not able to open easily like other hoods is because of the size and overall height of the hood. The hinges mount at almost the very back of the hood. Leaving a lot of weight on the hinges. And the lack of having the two sides having no connection between the two pivot points is the cause of the sloppy opening. Similar to why putting a strut tower brace stiffens a suspension. So would having a brace between the two hinges would help. Again my opinion. Think about other hoods that don’t have the height above the mounting points. There is a much more direct connection between the hinges on flatter hoods.

So as long as there is not something linking the hinges together the hood will always have a sloppy opening. I do have some ideas to build a brace to see if that helps. But time is the issue.

I do feel the Eddie motor sports hinges do help greatly with the issue of having to run around the truck to get the hood sit correctly. The hood does seem to go into the same position every time and stay there.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:10 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

I just finished an alteration to my hood to fix an alignment problem where the hood wraps around both sides of the cowl. Wasn't thinking about your idea of a cross connection between hinges to stabilize/unify the hood movement opening and closing. My fix should be doing this somewhat. I will be posting a new thread with pictures shortly. I'm really bummed about how badly this hood operates.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:56 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

I gave in and ordered a set of EMS hinges. I've been trying to mount and adjust the front fenders to the hood. The hood with the "new" reproduced hinges from Midwest Early Ford will not operate properly. It won't close repeatedly in the same place. The rear won't close unless pushed by hand. Once closed it's hard to open. I know you have all heard this before. Some times you have to admit defeat and move on.
The only good news is JEGs has a $40 promo code and EMS is offering a 10% instant rebate. Shipping is free. Before tax $486.50. Ouch.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:34 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by turnrjr
I gave in and ordered a set of EMS hinges. I've been trying to mount and adjust the front fenders to the hood. The hood with the "new" reproduced hinges from Midwest Early Ford will not operate properly. It won't close repeatedly in the same place. The rear won't close unless pushed by hand. Once closed it's hard to open. I know you have all heard this before. Some times you have to admit defeat and move on.
The only good news is JEGs has a $40 promo code and EMS is offering a 10% instant rebate. Shipping is free. Before tax $486.50. Ouch.
Ouch for you close to $1,000 for me .