Battery life in the 6.7 ? - Page 6 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery life in the 6.7 ?

Old 02-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Irelands child
Posting Guru
Irelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
Swollen batteries may be a condition of overcharging. You need to have the alternator checked to make sure it isn't overcharging them.I have had good luck with Motorcraft batteries as a whole. I did replace one when my truck was a year old because the hold down was corroded. the battery didn't look like it was leaking but the corrosion came from somewhere

Absolutely correct!

Old 02-12-2019, 05:05 PM
dirthawg
Elder User
dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.dirthawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by The Bone View Post
Cold weather will kill any battery.
Actually heat is the killer. The cold brings out the batteries weekend state.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
2009kr is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Just Strokin View Post
Ford uses the Battery/Gylcol Antifreeze tester as a more accurate reading of the battery specific gravity. More accurate than the ***** floating.

Can also be used to test the antifreeze.

Can buy cheaper model for $15.00 or less.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...reeze&_sacat=0

I use the same type of device to rest the salinity in my aquariums. I can see this being very useful for antifreeze. Personally, I wouldn't want such a messy device (gotta clean the glass, plastic cover, eye droper, and hinge area after each test) with strong acid. I also wouldn't use a device that gets my hands and the device WAY too close to my eyes when working with strong acid. It'll measure well, but is too dangerous for me.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:15 PM
Mayne Man
Junior User
Mayne Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by pacnorwest View Post
Have you replaced the batteries in your 6.7 yet?
Did you wait until the old ones died?

Reason I ask is that my truck & batteries were 3.5 years old and I got uncomfortable about getting stranded with dead batteries.
(I happened to get stranded in my Jeep with it's factory battery - approximately 4 years old on Easter day. I didn't like that a bit.)
So I replaced both batteries in my 2015 Super Duty (took delivery in Aug 2014).

Just wondering what the factory battery life expectancy might be?
My truck is 2011 purchased new. Batteries are still going strong withought a problem. 8 1/2 years. I am trying for 10.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:18 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by dirthawg View Post
Actually heat is the killer. The cold brings out the batteries weakened state.
"Batteries die in July, they just don't fall over till December."

Old 02-13-2019, 07:09 PM
kper05
Post Fiend
kper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant futurekper05 has a brilliant future
I agree. My second set, Diehard Platinum's, began to get weak in March '17. I put a charger to them once or twice but it became spring over a weekend and didn't have an issue all summer until the first cool day in mid November '17. Batteries were just barely able to turn over the engine at that point.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:28 AM
troverman
Post Fiend
troverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud oftroverman has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mayne Man View Post
My truck is 2011 purchased new. Batteries are still going strong withought a problem. 8 1/2 years. I am trying for 10.
A family member's 2011 F-550, purchased new, with the 6.7L is also on the original batteries.