6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Updating Sync 3 to V3.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:02 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't tried this yet but I think I'm closer. I had to fire up Windoz 10 to debug this - and I hate Windoz 10 - but the OSX unzip facility produces a different file hierarchy and file names than the one on Windoz. The files themselves are the same. Stuffit Expander still exists, though almost no one I know has installed it because the unzip facility has been built into OSX since 10.3. If you install Stuffit Expander and unzip the file with it, the hierarchy is correct.

Now the cherry on the top: if you take the correct file contents and zip it on OSX, it unzips correctly on both OSX and Win10. If you take the correct contents and zip it on Win10, it unzips correctly on both Win10 and OSX. In other words, these 2 zip facilities are compatible in both directions.

Whatever Ford is using to zip the file is incompatible with the built in OSX unzip. Ford should use Win10 or OSX to zip the file, not whatever they are using, and it would work perfectly. Even a minuscule amount of testing would go a long way too.

If you have a Macintosh, you can download the file using Firefox (Safari will not, due to bugs on Ford's website). You can then unzip the file by installing Win10 on VMWare or other, or by installing Stuffit Expander, or by simply unzipping it with OSX and fixing the hierarchy. All the files that start with "SyncMyRide<backslash>" should have those characters removed from the file name, then place those files in a folder named "SyncMyRide". (You can see what happened there, eh?)

Ford probably owes me a nice 2018 Lariat for sorting this for them. But maybe I should hold my breath until I try this update in the morning.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:13 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
swarf_rat, I bow down to your superior geekness. Good troubleshooting skills you have there. Plus, you have access to OSX.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,197 Likes on 573 Posts
Sounds like you did a lot of work to get to where I was saying to be in the first place LOL. Glad you have it sorted.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:57 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
It did work, the process is something like:

Plug in the USB drive
Wait about 3-4 minutes while nothing happens
Then a banner says it is updating the software - that stays on for about 5 minutes
The unit then reboots on its own, and comes up normally - but still reports the old software version
Wait another 3-4 minutes and another banner comes up saying it is updating the software
Wait about 10 minutes, finally it says it is done and the changes will take effect on the next start.

Sadly, after all that, the iPhone volume bug is still present. Anytime the truck pairs with the phone, it turns the ringer volume up to full as it has always done. I haven't seen the clock bug yet (where it sets the clock back one hour between starts). But it's early days.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:38 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
The update for me was painless. It worked just fine for me

My problem is that now when I start the truck the radio defaults to the Last Station on the FM3 preset. If I want to use any of the FM1 presets, I have to scroll thru my Sirus, iphone, USB,AM1 AM2 and then finally get to FM1

What gives? How can I get it to default to the last station I listened to?

Old 04-08-2018, 12:09 PM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Hmm, I'll have to test mine and see what it does (I rarely listen to terrestrial radio). One annoying thing 2.2 did was start playing from the phone or the usb drive even though you had it on pause when you shut down. It really should be saving the complete state and restoring it next key cycle. Its the sort of fundamental SQA we used to expect.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:45 PM
Mgrege5
New User
Thumbs down Update Sync 3

Originally Posted by Painted Horse
The update for me was painless. It worked just fine for me

My problem is that now when I start the truck the radio defaults to the Last Station on the FM3 preset. If I want to use any of the FM1 presets, I have to scroll thru my Sirus, iphone, USB,AM1 AM2 and then finally get to FM1

What gives? How can I get it to default to the last station I listened to?
I'm having the same problem! The update seems to have gone well, everything is working. The one issue is the radio defaults to the FM3 preset. I listen almost exclusively to Sirus and it's annoying every time I get in the truck to not have Sirus come up upon restart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:35 AM
bcg
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dakster
Key cycle is a warm boot, not a cold boot - hence the need for 5 minutes. For example, my radio works for 5 minutes after I turn off and remove the key... Until I open a door, but that doesn't mean the entire computer turned off.

I have Sync 2 from Microsoft, so I have to load the wheel to wheel magnetic tape to update it and they haven't really updated it in a long time, so I feel your pain there. I agree that Mac should be supported. XP on the other hand shouldn't. It's not even supported by Microsoft anymore, even my last work place was forced to ditch WIn XP (and a couple of Win 98) boxes a few years ago. I still like Win XP the best, followed by Win 7, WIn 8 was like ME and Vista... Win 10... No comment yet... I don't like that everything is in the cloud and has to be there and the computer pitches a fit if it isn't connected online, not something that everyone everywhere can do. Office 365 should burn in hell... I still run Office 2013.
You can update to Sync 3, it's not that difficult and you don't have to pay the $1500 that 4dtech wants if your mildly technical. Check out my thread - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-you-help.html.

I'm happy to help if you have any questions. In a few weeks, I'll have a cable to be able to program the Sync 3 on the bench so you can even have the APIM shipped to me and I'll do all the programming for you if you're nervous about doing it yourself. Then it's just a pulg and play, other than splicing in the one connector.

The sync 3 v 3.0 upgrade process does suck, I'm still fighting with it on mine but, I have a bad GPS antenna and it's not sure whether or not it has nav right now. I have the new antenna to install, I just haven't gotten to it yet, so many other things to do right now, it works well enough that it hasn't been a priority for me to mess with it.