c6 transmission cooler lines - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

c6 transmission cooler lines

Old 03-31-2018, 08:37 AM
F100-1969
Junior User
F100-1969 is starting off with a positive reputation.
c6 transmission cooler lines

Can anyone tell me what size the transmission cooler lines and fittings are that run to the radiator? I have some left over 3/16 copper/nickel line from doing new brake lines and was wondering if I can use this.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:28 AM
kenny nunez
Elder User
kenny nunez is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cooler lines

You need 5/16 tubing. Napa has tubing in various lengths with the fittings. Or you could use good quality 5/16 hose with barb fittings.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:42 AM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
ultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud of
Like Kenny said, 5/16" tubing. I don't have a C-6. My transmission is a C-4 but, the same principle applies. My original lines were in pretty sad shape so, I made new ones on my truck. I'm not sure how someone could bend the lines up as bad as the lines were on my truck but, then again, I'm inclined to believe some people could tear up an anvil with a Q-tip.

I also plumbed in an auxiliary transmission oil cooler from a '92 Ford F150.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:57 AM
F100-1969
Junior User
F100-1969 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You do clean work, looks great.

What size fittings are on both ends? Can I just reuse the 2 fittings that are on the line that is on there now?

Oh, and are they double flared like brake lines?

Old 03-31-2018, 01:44 PM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
ultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud ofultraranger has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by F100-1969 View Post
You do clean work, looks great.

What size fittings are on both ends? Can I just reuse the 2 fittings that are on the line that is on there now?

Oh, and are they double flared like brake lines?
Thanks. It's easy to install dirty parts. It takes time, effort and patience to clean and detail parts but, the results for the time and effort spent speaks for itself --not only runs good but looks good doing it.

Both original fittings on my (old) radiator were JIC (A-N [Airforce-Navy] 37 flared fittings). When I ran new transmission lines and installed the aux. transmission cooler, I retained the JIC fitting on the left side of the radiator but I had to switch to an SAE 45 inverted flare fitting on the right side of the radiator.

I have a Mastercool hydraulic line flaring tool that will make SAE 45 inverted flares, ISO metric bubble flares and JIC/A-N 37 flares. On the left fitting, I retained the original JIC fitting and just transferred the JIC nut onto the new line and double flared the end of the tube. On the right side fitting, I had to change it out for an SAE 45 inverted flare fitting, due to plumbing the aux. transmission cooler in series from the radiator cooler and back to the transmission. I had to join the outlet line of the aux. cooler to the return line on the transmission with an SAE inverted flare coupling.

The inverted flare fitting on 5/16" tubing you get from the parts store will be 1/2"-20.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Kurttb1
Senior User
Kurttb1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ultraranger do you have pictures of where/how your lines come off of your transmission?

Old 10-16-2018, 08:14 AM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
Lighting isn't the best but here it is.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:39 AM
Kurttb1
Senior User
Thanks Steve. While your here, I put that NAPA MC3642 on my Brake Booster but it did not fit flush. Evidently the nose is almost a 1/4 longer than the stock MC. Did you have to shim out these MC's or grind the nose off some? I attempted to shim mine out with a 1/8" home made bracket then had to use an additional washer to get mine to fit flush..I am hoping I don't have it under a strain.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:23 AM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kurttb1 View Post
Thanks Steve. While your here, I put that NAPA MC3642 on my Brake Booster but it did not fit flush. Evidently the nose is almost a 1/4 longer than the stock MC. Did you have to shim out these MC's or grind the nose off some? I attempted to shim mine out with a 1/8" home made bracket then had to use an additional washer to get mine to fit flush..I am hoping I don't have it under a strain.
MC 3642 is the dyslexic part number. The NAPA part number for the MC is NMC M3246.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NMAM3246

I didn't have to make any spacers/shims. The MC was a direct bolt-on to my booster.

--although I have made a spacer before to mount an SN95 Mustang MC to 5.0L Fox Mustang booster in a vintage Mustang.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:54 AM
Kurttb1
Senior User
Ok you got me there, I do believe that I have at least partial dyslexicia...

Anyway the picture you show, is basically the same kind of shim I had to do. Possibly because I did not yet change out to a dual booster yet.

Old 10-17-2018, 03:01 AM
Kurttb1
Senior User
Oh I also was running out of thread on the bolts coming out of the booster. So I'll have to revisit that to see what I can do. Maybe just go ahead and change the booster now. Did you say those double boosters were less diameter?

Old 10-17-2018, 08:13 AM
ultraranger
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kurttb1 View Post
Oh I also was running out of thread on the bolts coming out of the booster. So I'll have to revisit that to see what I can do. Maybe just go ahead and change the booster now. Did you say those double boosters were less diameter?
The diaphragm diameter is 8.795". Housing diameter is around 9".

Old 10-18-2018, 02:20 AM
Kurttb1
Senior User
Do you remember the types and sizes of the fittings for either end of the tranny lines? Is that a 3/8 line your running?, and Is it stock size? Also do they make a C6 that has a line coming from opposite sides?

Old 10-18-2018, 02:22 AM
Kurttb1
Senior User
Oh, I guess that pic is of a C4, that is why both on the same side.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:20 AM
GaryKip
Postmaster
GaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to beholdGaryKip is a splendid one to behold
Here is a pic for input and output ports (flow direction). -Not my set up-

You can see the I (input) and O (output) marked on the tranny.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c6 transmission cooler lines

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.